This discussion is closed.
Lella
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok so I proof read my personal statement over and over before I sent it off to my university tutor to write a reference but yesterday I checked the copy I saved on my comp and noticed a mistake

I rang the GTTR to see if any changes could be made but the lady I spoke to said the only way I could change a mistake woud be to completely cancel my application and start a new one from scratch...which would also mean my reference would have to be cancelled. I don't really like the sound of this as it would delay sending off my application and also mean I'd have to hassle my poor tutor to send off another reference!

The only other option I was told would be to contact my first choice institution and alert them to the mistake but I think this seems a bit unprofessional and kind of hope that maybe, just maybe they won't notice the mistake as it is only a tiny one really...I'd written a sentence about some of my responsibilites at a summer camp and missed the word 'at' out by mistake;

'...and organising English examinations the end of the camp.'

what do you guys think? would you bother contacting the university and drawing attention to your mistake or just leave it and hope nobody notices....
Glen_Nichols
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it.
chemical_bex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm sure they wouldn't notice.
xhelen1989x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I made a little petty spelling mistake in my application last year that I noticed after I sent it off to my tutor!
It really bugged me and thought it might not look too good (hasn't proof read her work etc) lol so I cancelled mine and then just pasted the new one in- Did it the same night so didn't delay my application.
Upto you! The tutors might not even notice- I might just be abit paranoid lol.
Kaiser_7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Everyone is human, so you missed a word, it doesn't really matter. They won't suddenly think you're thick just because your brain was working faster than your hands and you missed "at".
duality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
when i read the sentence i automatically put 'at' in there anyway, didn't even see the mistake!
Pedrobear
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Leave it. Common sense fills in the 'at'.
Anti
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They might not even notice, that's the sort of thing that people would "fill in" anyway when reading. I would probably just try to forget about it if I was in that situation, since chances are it's not something significant enough to really matter - worrying about it won't help and it's a lot of bother to go about fixing something as small as that. It's not like you didn't understand how the sentence was supposed to be structured, and so I'm certain that will be clear to the admissions tutor(s)... if they even pick up on it at all!
goldsilvy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by duality)
when i read the sentence i automatically put 'at' in there anyway, didn't even see the mistake!
Haha, same here :p:
infernalcradle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
just email the tutors about it if you are that worried
Wanischa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I checked my PS from last year and I had some mistakes in there.
Didn't stop me from getting 4 out 4 offers :/
Tabers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are you sure you can't get it sent back? At my school you do it and the reference gets added, then it goes for checking to the UCAS person at school and then it gets sent back for any changes and mistakes. I've got mine back and now resent it.
The_question
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Same thing happened to me last year. And I didnt just make a small mistake, the sentence I wrote was horrendous in every sense. Anyway, after noticing the error, I sent the Uni an email. In it I outlines what the mistake was and how I should have wrote it. To which the tutors reply was something along the lines of : " It is a skill of a scientist to notice error and rectify them". She then went on to say it was a bonus to my application that I actually emailed her.

Moral of the story, let them know of the mistake. Well thats what I think anways.

edit: I just realised how minor your mistake was... I wouldnt worry about it.
-jessica
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by goldsilvy)
Haha, same here :p:
And here! Don't worry OP.
helz_91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lella)
Ok so I proof read my personal statement over and over before I sent it off to my university tutor to write a reference but yesterday I checked the copy I saved on my comp and noticed a mistake

I rang the GTTR to see if any changes could be made but the lady I spoke to said the only way I could change a mistake woud be to completely cancel my application and start a new one from scratch...which would also mean my reference would have to be cancelled. I don't really like the sound of this as it would delay sending off my application and also mean I'd have to hassle my poor tutor to send off another reference!

The only other option I was told would be to contact my first choice institution and alert them to the mistake but I think this seems a bit unprofessional and kind of hope that maybe, just maybe they won't notice the mistake as it is only a tiny one really...I'd written a sentence about some of my responsibilites at a summer camp and missed the word 'at' out by mistake;

'...and organising English examinations the end of the camp.'

what do you guys think? would you bother contacting the university and drawing attention to your mistake or just leave it and hope nobody notices....
Don't worry about it, I doubt they'll notice.
This kills me, haha, but I proof read mine, hundreds of times, and only after sending it off, did I realise that I'd mistyped the word "strengthened" as "strengthed" :/ this was my final line of my personal statement- where I wanted to make a great impact.
Also, it was just after having gone on about how much I loved english, writing and reading etc....so I made myself, unwittingly look illiterate on, arguably my most important line!!!
But I still got offers from good unis for Law
Don't worry xxxxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't worry love they'll look past it...unless the admission tutors are really anal
Lella
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks guys

I feel a lot better about it now, I'm just gonna hope for the best!

I made the mistake of reading it through again and noticed ANOTHER typo. Again it was only a small one but I'm just mad that I didn't noticed them when I was supposedly proofreading!! duh. But I'm not gonna worry about it...just hope I get an interview and a chance to redeem myself lol.
Laura99
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon this thread when browsing google, so I have signed up so that I could join in .

I sent off my pgce application for secondary english and (even after having it checked by the uni careers service & my uni tutor writing my reference) noticed a spelling mistake. I used the word 'lead' as in pencil lead, instead of 'led'. A stupid mistake I know, and cannot believe I did not notice it. Im now really worried tht I am not going to be offered to interview because of this especially as I want to teach children to spell lol

Just thought I would let you know that your not the only one who has done it this year!
Lidia16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi
I found this site the same way Laura did and I signed in because I made a mistake too!
I'm a Spanish student but I have Scottish family and I want to study English Lit or Journalism... After proof-reading my ps a million times and asking my Scottish family to read it too (applying as an individual) I sent it. Later I found out I should have written "as it is" instead of "for as it is". I wasn't thinking when I introduced that for...
Anti
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lidia16)
Hi
I found this site the same way Laura did and I signed in because I made a mistake too!
I'm a Spanish student but I have Scottish family and I want to study English Lit or Journalism... After proof-reading my ps a million times and asking my Scottish family to read it too (applying as an individual) I sent it. Later I found out I should have written "as it is" instead of "for as it is". I wasn't thinking when I introduced that for...
Depending on the context, you might be able to get away with that one, if they notice it... it might just come across as a strange sentence pattern that doesn't detract from the meaning. Hopefully they won't even notice if though!

(Welcome to TSR, by the way! )
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (167)
18.39%
Labour (393)
43.28%
Liberal Democrats (178)
19.6%
Green Party (52)
5.73%
Brexit Party (23)
2.53%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.33%
SNP (11)
1.21%
Plaid Cymru (9)
0.99%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.11%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.11%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (2)