The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
In exams it's probably easier than in essays. In essays it is ridiculously hard. For space reasons as much as anything, I think - there always seems to be something relevant which you have to miss out, or not go into much detail about, because you're running out of space and can't fit everything is, so there's always something you can improve on. Most people will tend to lose marks on introductions and conclusions also because they're just annoying to write and you always seem to lose all coherent thought during conclusion writing.

I got 80% in two essay exams, and 90% in one. But in coursework, I've never managed to get over about 75%. I'm not overly intelligent, so I'm sure there are people who have got much higher! But it's not common.

So yeah. Possible (sometimes), but very very uncommon.
What if he studies day and night? And like the guy in my school who's in year 8 and finished and sat the high school exit exam in 4 unit maths, chemistry, physics, biology and is Asian. Surely this kid will get like 100% in uni... considering that he doesn't study much being involved like in a billion things such as music (he can actually teach piano and violin), drama...

This guy is going to either fail or succeed in life after school, extremely miserably or happily...
Depends on the subject I guess. I've managed 100% on three modules (Mathematics), but to get 100% on all of them... well I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. It's probably more difficult in essay subjects though.

Although I do sometimes think there isn't really much point working so hard to get top marks. I mean, a First is a First, isn't it? Whether it's 70% or 99%, does it really make any difference? :s-smilie:
Reply 83
ily_em
Having an argument with a flatmate... he reckons he could easily get 100% in his first year. I said uni grading doesn't work like that - we now have a bet; if he gets 100% in any module he wins, if not, I win (he's doing Classics btw).

:mmm: He's in for a shock. Put it this way, I was told anything above 80% is good enough to be published.
tazarooni89
Depends on the subject I guess. I've managed 100% on three modules (Mathematics), but to get 100% on all of them... well I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. It's probably more difficult in essay subjects though.

Although I do sometimes think there isn't really much point working so hard to get top marks. I mean, a First is a First, isn't it? Whether it's 70% or 99%, does it really make any difference? :s-smilie:

This :yep: A first is a first. Th only advantage is you could add your percentage to your C.V. :smile:
Reply 85
Pffffft, the highest I've got so far is 82% and what I did I thought was pretty great!

I don't know anyone who has got over 86% for an Arts course, although I do know people who have got marks in the 90s in science courses.
Flying Scotsman
It's doable in maths. At Warwick there are people who get over 100% for the whole year every year.

They get over 100%? Maybe they're not as good as maths as they think they are...
Reply 87
Basically, no.
there are a few people in my course who got 100% in their applied mechanics exam in 1st year.
Reply 89
Flying Scotsman
It's doable in maths. At Warwick there are people who get over 100% for the whole year every year.

Over 100% eh? :eek:
Reply 90
I'd say with an objective subject like maths, physics etc were an answer is either right or wrong yeah maybe if you are very smart and have no life and a touch of ocd for good measure. With Arts subjects not a hope, a marker can take an essay completely different than another. I once got 80 in a politics module in first year, to be honest I didn't think it any better or worse than another essay.
I<3LAMP
This makes me sad. Though I probably could have done better if I didn't get lazy in 2nd Year.

Please don't think I was looking down on a 2.1 - I'm totally not: I was saying how ironic it is that people who loudly complain about how easy the course was don't get firsts.

If it's so easy that they feel they're entitled to take the mickey out of the course that seasoned academics have painstakingly planned for them, why aren't they sailing through with the highest grades?
screenager2004
Please don't think I was looking down on a 2.1 - I'm totally not: I was saying how ironic it is that people who loudly complain about how easy the course was don't get firsts.

If it's so easy that they feel they're entitled to take the mickey out of the course that seasoned academics have painstakingly planned for them, why aren't they sailing through with the highest grades?

No I actually agree I got complacent too.
If you think its too easy you've clearly not challenged yourself.
N!*
:shifty:

You heard me. Over 100%.
mel0n
Explain?? :colonhash:

I'd expect that, even though it is obviously still hard, it'd be slightly easier to gain a higher percentage (even if not 100%) in a maths based subject, whereas humanities are obviously much more subjective and so less likely to have people gaining such high marks..

Although, judging by this thread.. What significance does 100% even have, seeing as things are marked out of 80% or something? :confused:

It's called the Seymour formula. It gives you extra credit for taking additional modules, thereby leading to some people getting over 100%.
Bubblyjubbly
Which doesn't say much for the difficulty of the exams there. I do notice Warwick (and their graduates) have no truck about ************ their university's academic prowess beyond anything that might be regarded as believable.

I daresay a number of graduates at top universities would get 100% if they went to a poly, but seeing as they aren't thick enough to get in, we'll never know.

Pretty damn difficult. I should know, I did a maths degree there. Fortunately the university attracts some of the most brilliant minds from across Europe. The Warwick maths course is usually stated as one of the top 4 in the country.
fletchdd02
How do you get over 100%?

See above post. It's called the Seymour formula. You gain extra credit for taking additional modules. The optimal credit amount is 150 cats, most students take 120 cats. Usually by taking over 130 cats you end up with an additional 4-6% via Seymour.
screenager2004

maybe they mean it's easy to get a 2:1
ABCI23
They get over 100%? Maybe they're not as good as maths as they think they are...

What's wrong with getting over 100%? It's doable..
Yuck
Over 100% eh? :eek:

Yes, see my previous posts of 2 mins ago for further details.

Latest

Trending

Trending