This discussion is closed.
*Riz*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Me and a few friends are planning to go to Barcelona for 5 nights just after our exams have finished (in July). We have booked our flights already as they were only £50 return each on easyjet and planned to book our accomodation nearer the time.
However........ from the brief look I have had a lot of the resonably priced stuff seems to be booked up. Has anyone been to Barcelona recently and knows of any decent, cheap accomodation?? Or any tips of places to go/to stay/not to stay etc? If we have it all booked it will give us something to look forward to until then I guess!
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, if you want to be directly in Barcelona then it'll probably be quite costly, depending of course on the quality of the place you stay.

You'd probably be able to get reasonably priced accomodation if you stayed just out of the city, but then transport becomes a problem.

I don't really know anything more detailed than the obvious details above. But if you'd like I can ask my Spanish teacher on Monday and see whether she knows (she often goes to Barcelona)

I went on the school Spanish trip last year, and we were based in a town called Salut about an hour from Barcelona, where we went for two days of our visit. It was quite a nice place, the hotel was good, and the town looked to have a good nightlife. There was also a beach with lots of palm treas, and Port Adventura (big Theme Park (Europe's biggest roller coaster or something)) was only a short drive away. I don't know if any of that appeals.

Anyway, back to Barcelona. What activities are you looking for?
There are a lot of tourist places you could visit. You might want to visit some of Gaudi's work, perhaps the most famed being the cathederal in Barcelona which is still under construction. You can also go to a house and gardens which he designed.
There's a large hill (with cable cars) that offers views over the city. And then other touristy things such as the Aquarium.
I daresay there's also many clubs, bars etc

As I say, it really depends what you're after, but if you can be more specific I might be able to find out some more detailed information for you.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Egan1)

Anyway, back to Barcelona. What activities are you looking for?
There are a lot of tourist places you could visit. You might want to visit some of Gaudi's work, perhaps the most famed being the cathederal in Barcelona which is still under construction. You can also go to a house and gardens which he designed.
There's a large hill (with cable cars) that offers views over the city. And then other touristy things such as the Aquarium.
I daresay there's also many clubs, bars etc

As I say, it really depends what you're after, but if you can be more specific I might be able to find out some more detailed information for you.
Its got a huge football stadium which a lot of people visit.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Me and a few friends are planning to go to Barcelona for 5 nights just after our exams have finished (in July). We have booked our flights already as they were only £50 return each on easyjet and planned to book our accomodation nearer the time.
However........ from the brief look I have had a lot of the resonably priced stuff seems to be booked up. Has anyone been to Barcelona recently and knows of any decent, cheap accomodation?? Or any tips of places to go/to stay/not to stay etc? If we have it all booked it will give us something to look forward to until then I guess!
whatever you do don't go on the stupid tour bus - you will never get off! the football stadium is ace and defo got to parc guell if you can. sorry i can't remember the name of the hotel we stayed at, but it was wonky anyway - the floor was diagonal - i wouldn't recommened it to you.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the underground system in barcelona is quite good, you could be able to stay further out and get the tube in to the central areas.

fantastic city: the gothic quarter is fantastic for shopping.

if you want to see the sights use the tourist coaches (tacky i know) but they take you everywhere for a good price. when i went we bought a 2 day ticket and we got off and explored where we liked.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Its got a huge football stadium which a lot of people visit.
who plays there then?
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeh i've been to barcelona and to the football stadium - def worth a visit even if your not into footy (i'm not lol!) its makes you truely speachless, its sooo hhhuuuuuggggeeeee!
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
who plays there then?
do i detect sarcasm here?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
who plays there then?
I hope that was a joke.
MattG
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the olympic village is good too.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
do i detect sarcasm here?
i think a washed up dutch winger does, can't remember the rest
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think a washed up dutch winger does, can't remember the rest
I would not be surprised if a french midfielder finds his way to Barcelona's main rivals this summer. Very much like Overmars found his way to Barca.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would not be surprised if a french midfielder finds his way to Barcelona's main rivals this summer. Very much like Overmars found his way to Barca.
i would be, and even if he did we'd get a major cash settlement since he signed a long term contract about 5 months ago.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i would be, and even if he did we'd get a major cash settlement since he signed a long term contract about 5 months ago.
(oh and by the way they treated Makalele (one of his best friends) suggests to me he won't)
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If Real dont win the Champions league this year, I think they'll try and sign him. The will pay anything for success. Contracts mean nothing in modern football, unlike rugby where in most cases they are honoured.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If Real dont win the Champions league this year, I think they'll try and sign him. The will pay anything for success. Contracts mean nothing in modern football, unlike rugby where in most cases they are honoured.
contracts mean you'll get paid, and a lot for Vieira (his old one was up this summer). There's always been specualtion (well in the past, none for a long time), and as usual, that's its been. He's always talked about how much he loves the club, and London. He could go, but is quite unlikely. As long as he plays well infront of the travelling Arsenal contingent tommorow I don't care.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
contracts mean you'll get paid, and a lot for Vieira (his old one was up this summer). There's always been specualtion (well in the past, none for a long time), and as usual, that's its been. He's always talked about how much he loves the club, and London. He could go, but is quite unlikely. As long as he plays well infront of the travelling Arsenal contingent tommorow I don't care.
Contracts dont mean success though. I'm pretty sure he will go to Spain sometime in his career. Real will pay more and with respect have a slightly better (just about lol) European pedigree than Arsenal. Beckham loved Manchester and Figo loved Barcelona.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Contracts dont mean success though. I'm pretty sure he will go to Spain sometime in his career. Real will pay more and with respect have a slightly better (just about lol) European pedigree than Arsenal. Beckham loved Manchester and Figo loved Barcelona.
contracts mean money!!!
He may got to Spain, but we'd get a lot more back than the $4.5m we paid for him. He'll come to Arsenal a football talent, and leave a superstar.

Beckham loved Man U, but they didn't love him; him leaving was not what he wanted, we was practically forced out, which won't happen to Patrick.

England can't compete with Spain on wages, simply because of income tax.

Even if he did go, Wenger's shown time and time again that he can replace them with quality, Henry for Anelka, Pires for Overmars etc
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Even if he did go, Wenger's shown time and time again that he can replace them with quality, Henry for Anelka, Pires for Overmars etc
I'm not disputing that. But football is a very fickle game. Wenger might not be in charge when Patrick goes. Its all ifs and buts.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not disputing that. But football is a very fickle game. Wenger might not be in charge when Patrick goes. Its all ifs and buts.
true, i'd rather Wenger signed a contract soon, becuase it up next summer i think. The only fact is that Patrick, Henry and Pires are all at Arsenal on long term contracts.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads