Northampton uni - All you need to know Watch

Wandi2010
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,

I'm a first year at Northampton uni and studying sociology (currently a month in) and this thread is to inform you on what this uni is like and the general area of northampton because when I searched on here I didn't find any guides which answered everything I wanted to be answered
Anyways, this is what you'll need to know:

1.) The uni:
The university itself is actually quite nice - it's got lots of greenery, and the campus i'm on (Park) is the ideal size which is that it's not too big to make you feel completely lost but not too small so you feel confined. The actual layout of Park campus took me a week or 2 to get used to so you know it isn't massively bag, or minute. The fields (which are used by sport clubs to practice) are good for football during the day or whichever sport, maybe even a track run at night - they are pretty deserted by the night time .

2.) The halls - Ensuite (both at Park and Avenue):
Park- The ensuites (Simon Senslis, Spencer Percval hall & William Carey hall) are nice and allow you to do everything you need to in them without knocking things over (no struggle for space). The showering facilities aren't bad (better than avenue as you'll see in the next section) - good pressure of water, adjustable heads & no lack of hot water (trust me :P) but you can't move the shower head up or down for extra head room unfortunately, you're just able to twist it from side to side. Having said this though, i'm quite tall and I manage fine. The kitchen's are nice here, but of course they do vary from hall to hall/flat to flat - generally though you have enough room for 3-4 to be cooking at once and even though there are 6 in a flat you won't be cooking at the same time :P.

Avenue- The ensuites there are the same as at park but they don't have a showering tray so it's there's just a little dip in the floor which will catch all the water from the shower. The kitchens are of the same standard, roughly - maybe a bit less, as Park campus' ones
Just to note - I live in park campus (Simon Senlis) but my friend is supplying me with information on Avenue campus - you may want to research into this yourself though just in case

Just on a side note, internet access is very good at both Avenue and Park campus. They have Wifi points accross park campus e.g. in the SU bar - automatically connects you, not sure about avenue campus though. In halls, there will be a cable for you just to pop into your laptop/computer and then after a few easy minutes, you're free to explore the web once again

Also, I don't know much about the standard rooms in the halls apart from there's a minimal amount of showers/baths between 6-10 people
3.) Transport!
Busses - Free, only on weekdays, to Kingsthorpe road from both campusses which is where you'll find asda and waitrose, along with some decent indian resturants and fish and chips. £1, only on weekdays - £1.80 single, £3 return, into town (make sure you have your student ID on you at the time) - I expain further below about what to find in town.
Taxies - SOL is the major taxi service, and usually they won't charge on the meter so there will be a set price which is £6.50, which so far have been cheap and reliable. Taxies are good for getting into town with mates for £1-£2.50 each.
Trains - the most expensive option. This is mainly used so people can go home or see their mates in uni. From Northampton to birmingham it's £15 for a return and takes 40 mins.

4.) The town:
- Costs £1 (during weekdays)
- Big sainsbury's, topman, HMV (tis a good one), river island, H&M, primark (not the best - quite small) and many other typical high street names
- Pubs: Penny whistle - nice cosy pub (pool tables within and competition on wednesdays £2 to enter), O'niels - good cheap food which will fill you up, relatively cheap drinks & it's an irish pub so be prepared for irish music and others as well.
- Club(s): Lava is basically the major club in Northampton so it's packed most days of the week and the drinks are quite expensive even though they will do deals on freshers' week
- on the whole - a decent town , except for the nightlife

Hope this has helped you, or given additional information, and please feel free to message me about any questions or to correct/add to anything I have put
Holz<3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So what isit like for nightlife?
Pipi84
Report 8 years ago
Hey, thanks for this...was quite informative! Think I'll bookmark it and read it again right before I start uni, which will be in Jan '2011.

Btw, in a standard room is there just one bathroom for a flat??? Which means 6-10 people are fighting for the shower in the morning?? Please tell me that's not the case! :eek:
Stringer987
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pipi84)
Hey, thanks for this...was quite informative! Think I'll bookmark it and read it again right before I start uni, which will be in Jan '2011.

Btw, in a standard room is there just one bathroom for a flat??? Which means 6-10 people are fighting for the shower in the morning?? Please tell me that's not the case! :eek:
I wouldnt know about the shower situation but im only in for 9 in the morning 2 times a week so i shouldnt worry! What you doing when u start in january?
Rags
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pipi84)

Depends on the halls. I was in Margaret Bondfield last year; there was one shower, one bath and three toilets (shower and bath were in separate rooms obviously ). We never really had a problem regarding shower useage tbh as people tended to get up, and therefore have their shower, at different times of the day.
Thelmz x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This has helped sooooo much i hope i get into Northampton x
Pipi84
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stringer987)
I wouldnt know about the shower situation but im only in for 9 in the morning 2 times a week so i shouldnt worry! What you doing when u start in january?
Will be doing the MBA! Am desperately trying to find someone else who would also be in the same course...or at least starting in Jan!
And about the shower situation, thought I'll apply for ensuite rooms just to be on the safe side! I just hope that rooms would be available!
DaniLou17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey i like the nightlife!!!
the bathroom situation isnt that bad im in mb theres 6 sharing 2 toilets a shower and a bath ...not had any probz yet we all get up at diff times and we have quite a big kitchen !
DeeDee91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thelmz x)
This has helped sooooo much i hope i get into Northampton x
This!
emiliee21
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
anyone applying here for English in 2011 ?
any one studying it at the moment what are your thoughts on the course ?
Swimmer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also can i just say, i visited the uni alot of times, got mates there, but the girls are actually really hot there :P
Stringer987
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emiliee21)
anyone applying here for English in 2011 ?
any one studying it at the moment what are your thoughts on the course ?
my housemate does english, i will ask her if you want
emiliee21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
my housemate does english, i will ask her if you want
That would be great if you could !

So far I've heard that Northampton is an average Uni, but its ranked really high on the times university guide, so i'm hoping its a good course
Stringer987
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That would be great if you could !

So far I've heard that Northampton is an average Uni, but its ranked really high on the times university guide, so i'm hoping its a good course
I think its great. Everyone ive met are really friendly, you dont have people who think they are higher than you and all that. Doing English you will be on avenue campus. So i reccomend a house or something in the town centre if you dont get into halls! Where is it ranked on the guide?
emiliee21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think its great. Everyone ive met are really friendly, you dont have people who think they are higher than you and all that. Doing English you will be on avenue campus. So i reccomend a house or something in the town centre if you dont get into halls! Where is it ranked on the guide?
Ahhhhh I does look like a lovely campus, I know a few people who have started this year and they love itttttt
At the moment its like 35th ish I think which is great because other unis in those positions want AAB/ABB to get in!
Ive heard its really cheap to get housing in Northampton
Stringer987
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ahhhhh I does look like a lovely campus, I know a few people who have started this year and they love itttttt
At the moment its like 35th ish I think which is great because other unis in those positions want AAB/ABB to get in!
Ive heard its really cheap to get housing in Northampton
It is very cheap. I pay 3.5k a year for a double room in the middle of town which isnt bad as i dont have to pay for taxis back at the end of a night! I saw how many books my housemate reads and i was like not a chance would i be able to read that much! But i spose if you enjoy it you will do the work. I hope you go to northampton anyway, Go to town on a night out aha
emiliee21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is very cheap. I pay 3.5k a year for a double room in the middle of town which isnt bad as i dont have to pay for taxis back at the end of a night! I saw how many books my housemate reads and i was like not a chance would i be able to read that much! But i spose if you enjoy it you will do the work. I hope you go to northampton anyway, Go to town on a night out aha
Ahhh that sounds really good! I love in Coventry at the moment so it's pretty close to Northampton so I've been there a few times, i really like the town. I'm glad the people are nice, the last thing I want is to go to a uni full of pretentious snobs! haa
Stringer987
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ahhh that sounds really good! I love in Coventry at the moment so it's pretty close to Northampton so I've been there a few times, i really like the town. I'm glad the people are nice, the last thing I want is to go to a uni full of pretentious snobs! haa
Im in coventry so next year i will be commuting in i think as i wont be in everyday sorta thing. Its only 35mins down the road! Cov is very good apart from driving the ring road lol! We could arrange something sometime if you wanted..
emiliee21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im in coventry so next year i will be commuting in i think as i wont be in everyday sorta thing. Its only 35mins down the road! Cov is very good apart from driving the ring road lol! We could arrange something sometime if you wanted..
Eurghh dont get me started on the ringroad, ive just started going on there during my driving lesson, and the ricoh roundabout sucks, swear thats where im going to die.
Can you buy a parking permit in Northampton/ whats parking like there ?
Stringer987
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Eurghh dont get me started on the ringroad, ive just started going on there during my driving lesson, and the ricoh roundabout sucks, swear thats where im going to die.
Can you buy a parking permit in Northampton/ whats parking like there ?
Ive nearly died in both those places, but not down to my own fault i dont think!
Then again ive managed to get lost going to asda at walsgrave! Bad times!

Parking. If you live somewhere where you need a permit, i would strongly urge you to move your wee bum to the parking shop and buy one which is £25 for the year. Ive already been fined twice by the traffic officers one for parking in a permit bay when i didnt have one but i got let off. Secondly i parked in a restricted time bay and i went out that night and i overslept in the morning and i got a fine for not moving it within 2hours or something crazy like that!

Parking is fine during the day but after 6pm it might be a pain and you might have to park up another road and walk to your house but just see what happens, your road might have more parking bays than what mine does!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (15)
9.68%
Disagree (11)
7.1%
Neither agree or disagree (50)
32.26%
Agree (59)
38.06%
Strongly Agree (20)
12.9%

Watched Threads