The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mr M
Well 10510 \neq 5 even though it is divisible by 2. You don't need to find the roots.

What are you talking about?
StephenP91
What are you talking about?

1) It is important to use mathematical notation correctly. If you want to show something is divisible by two, factorise it.

2) Your method was tortuous. The answer could simply be stated.
Mr M
1) It is important to use mathematical notation correctly. If you want to show something is divisible by two, factorise it.

2) Your method was tortuous. The answer could simply be stated.

Geez louise. I was only saying they were equal to 0 and you're going beserk.
(edited 13 years ago)
StephenP91
Geez louise. I was only saying they were equal to 0 and you're going beserk.

Forgive me. I assumed you might like to understand and learn from your mistakes.
I think I get what you mean Mr M! You can't just "divide by 2" because that's surely not right. You can factorise out the 2, but not just half everything?

EDIT: I was told the other week, that if you just do something like that, you generally lose an answer in quadratics especially.
(edited 13 years ago)
linkdapink
I think I get what you mean Mr M! You can't just "divide by 2" because that's surely not right. You can factorise out the 2, but not just half everything?

EDIT: I was told the other week, that if you just do something like that, you generally lose an answer in quadratics especially.

I can halve everything because I set it equal to zero and you lose an answer in a quadratic equation if you divide by x.
(edited 13 years ago)
student0001
I get 2(x6)2+82(x-6)^2+8

So would the line of symmetry be 6 because there's a -6 inside the bracket?

Some explain how they get the 8?

for 6(i) I got 2(x6)2+442(x-6)^2+44

How did you get 8?
(edited 13 years ago)
hunter'sdaughter

How did you get 8?

How did you get 44? You know you are supposed to take out the number inside the brackets are square it right? Then afterwards you either subtract on add to get to the original number on the outside.
hunter'sdaughter

How did you get 8?

Don't forget there is a 2 outside the brackets.
StephenP91
How did you get 44? You know you are supposed to take out the number inside the brackets are square it right? Then afterwards you either subtract on add to get to the original number on the outside.

I did
2(x212x)+80 2(x^2 - 12x) + 80
2(x6)236+802(x-6)^2 -36 + 80
2(x6)2+442(x-6)^2 + 44

EDIT: I see where I went wrong!!
It should had been -72 + 80
(edited 13 years ago)
hunter'sdaughter
I did 2(x212x)+80 2(x^2 - 12x) + 80
2((x6)236)+802((x-6)^2 -36) + 80

Fixed that for you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Mr M
Fixed that for you.

or just use square brackets.
student0001
or just use square brackets.

This is a new one on me. Elaborate?
No-one answered the guy's question?

Basically from the completed square form you can see that the graph is a parabola, which is at its smallest (vertex) when x=6 (and at this point, y is 8).
So the line of symmetry is going to be the straight line through the vertex, ie x=6
The tangent is going to be the horizontal straight line that just touches the vertex, ie y=8
Carter_C
No-one answered the guy's question?

Basically from the completed square form you can see that the graph is a parabola, which is at its smallest (vertex) when x=6 (and at this point, y is 8).
So the line of symmetry is going to be the straight line through the vertex, ie x=6
The tangent is going to be the horizontal straight line that just touches the vertex, ie y=8

I did answer the question over one hour ago if you look back.
Mr M
I did answer the question over one hour ago if you look back.

You didn't give any explanation, you just regurgitated the properties of the completed square form of an equation.
No offence :wink:
Carter_C
You didn't give any explanation, you just regurgitated the properties of the completed square form of an equation.
No offence :wink:

None taken. I surrender confronted by your greater knowledge and experience.
Reply 37
Mr M
This is a new one on me. Elaborate?

This.

But it should be plus 8 not 80.
(edited 13 years ago)
Mr M
None taken. I surrender confronted by your greater knowledge and experience.

Haha.
student0001
This.

But it should be plus 8 not 80.

Since when has (x12)2=(x6)236(x-12)^2 = (x-6)^2 -36 as suggested in your explanation? You get to the correct answer with an incorrect step in the middle... What you're getting at there is completing the square though, not simply 'square brackets'. :o:
A lot of BS flying around in this thread...
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest