This discussion is closed.
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
The recent controversy in France (and Britain now) has made me ask a few questions, now don't get me wrong I'm all for wearing of headscarves and stuff but it makes me wonder about a few of my own experiences.

I went to a Church of England school, and we didn't have a lot of Islamic people at our school, or Sikh, or Jewish however we let them wear their headscarves/turbans/kippas, but after I was confirmed I had been bought a 18 carat gold crucifix from Israel by my parents, which I wore to school. It was worth a lot of money and it was a religious symbol of the school, so WHY was it taken off me and only given back after a great deal of aggro from my parents?

After I got it back I thought I would do an experiment (I was 14 at the time, so give me a break on the juvenilty of this) and I got everybody in my science class to go and nick stuff from the Drama props cupboard of various secular attire and put it on.
We had turbans, we had veils, we had lots of stuff and everybody put it on and went to science.
There was an Islamic girl in our class and in the festivities she removed her veil as we went into class.
Needless to say we were all told to remove it and the girl to put hers back on, we all got detention but her. We even got our RE teacher to stick up for us and say it was a project. We were put in detention for, get this "bullying" even though Shameem said that she wasn't at all offended.

Can I just ask, HUH!?
I never did get that.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Blimey Dani you were up early
Pegasus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To be honest I think that was just your school being unfair. At our school people were allowed to wear jewelery if it was a religious thing i.e a cross.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my school was a religious one and they didn't allow any jewelerry except for religious items.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
my school was a religious one and they didn't allow any jewelerry except for religious items.
same with us. we were only alowed to wear crosses/crucifix's.

we didnt have any other religions thou...

love Katy ***
MattG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
The recent controversy in France (and Britain now) has made me ask a few questions, now don't get me wrong I'm all for wearing of headscarves and stuff but it makes me wonder about a few of my own experiences.

I went to a Church of England school, and we didn't have a lot of Islamic people at our school, or Sikh, or Jewish however we let them wear their headscarves/turbans/kippas, but after I was confirmed I had been bought a 18 carat gold crucifix from Israel by my parents, which I wore to school. It was worth a lot of money and it was a religious symbol of the school, so WHY was it taken off me and only given back after a great deal of aggro from my parents?

After I got it back I thought I would do an experiment (I was 14 at the time, so give me a break on the juvenilty of this) and I got everybody in my science class to go and nick stuff from the Drama props cupboard of various secular attire and put it on.
We had turbans, we had veils, we had lots of stuff and everybody put it on and went to science.
There was an Islamic girl in our class and in the festivities she removed her veil as we went into class.
Needless to say we were all told to remove it and the girl to put hers back on, we all got detention but her. We even got our RE teacher to stick up for us and say it was a project. We were put in detention for, get this "bullying" even though Shameem said that she wasn't at all offended.

Can I just ask, HUH!?
I never did get that.
if you were of the faith that wears these clothing then you wouldnt have had a problem. some ppl might think you were taking the piss (tho you wer making a valued point)
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Maybe its because you have your cruxifix on show...we're only allowed to wear jewelry if its religious but it must not be on show, otherwise it becomes a 'hazard'.
Niaya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think that the teachers are all too faced they all wear jewelery weither its a cross or not one of my science teachers is a priest type thing and he sometimes wears a massive wooden cross its not fair why is it one rule for then and another for us
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by angel D)
i think that the teachers are all too faced they all wear jewelery weither its a cross or not one of my science teachers is a priest type thing and he sometimes wears a massive wooden cross its not fair why is it one rule for then and another for us

It might get burnt, while he's leaning over a bunsen burner...now isnt that hazardous?
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In some schools, when I went for 11 plus interviews, they said that they wouldn't allow me to wear my scarf to the lessons, so I tried to find one which would!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (244)
61.93%
Yes- I don't like it (18)
4.57%
No- I want it (106)
26.9%
No- I don't want it (26)
6.6%

Watched Threads