The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reim123
i still not get this, so working for asda is a bad choice, so brand new asda is opening http://www.citygrovesouthruislip.com/ why so much negative review for asda is it so bad

Any colleagues starting in this store are very likely to be on this new contract, and have been advised by another colleague, if you decide this week you want to change your contract, you will be put on to the new flexible contract; one colleague in the store I work, had his contract changed last month and now basicly no one wants to change there contract
Original post by porrohman
The union aren't behind this, and are advising colleagues not to sign up to the new contract, when you get your ONE to ONE with your manager, you should take along with you, your union rep for the store

The news reports said GMB had agreed to everything and had even had a hand in all the terms and stuff?
I doubt i'll even get a big meeting, let alone a one to one with a manager, I usually get left out and miss meetings! Not in the union myself anyway. Would rather not pay for their ineptness..

Any colleagues starting in this store are very likely to be on this new contract, and have been advised by another colleague, if you decide this week you want to change your contract, you will be put on to the new flexible contract; one colleague in the store I work, had his contract changed last month and now basicly no one wants to change there contract

I know they can and are, but I don't get how they can force people to change to the new flexible contracts for having to change or drop hours, even if said people cannot be flexible..is it just a way to get rid of the older more stubborn staff to replace with students and those without any commitments who can sell their souls to the company?
A friend in my store is in uni..at the moment she said she doesn't need to change anything, and in summer will be fully flexible, but in Sept when she goes back for the next term, her days will change, meaning she will have to change work days, but will be forced to sign new contract, but won't be flexible due to uni commitments, so is she basically out of a job come sept?!

i was at asda magic three days ago does anyone know how long it will take, manager told us on asda magic that we will hear back within 24h
Original post by Johnsheppard99
Im exactly the same!
We were told if you work and average of 24hrs, we'd get £298..Im contracted 32.25 and always doing overtime and extra hours for them, so should be WELL above 24..
I had £251...

Apparently theres a bonus office or something people can email, someone I work with already has and said he was told they are inundated with emails about it so seems to be company wide, and some people may get extra payments at the end of march..but still, what a load of tosh..

I voiced my opinion on facebook, no mention of any companies or anything, just said how that was a s*** bonus this year as only got £30 more than last year (when I only worked 22hrs a week) and how my friends in tesco if they were earning the same wage as me they'd have had £575 each.
Half the people are saying stop moaning, its free money so enjoy what ive been given, some are saying its a bit rubbish too, while a couple have started moaning that I should say something through the correct channels and not breaching social media policy.

I said my argument is they've basically lied to us AGAIN with the posters giving examples of how much people would get, if we wont get anywhere near as much, and that I have no idea what the correct channels are or what the social media policy even is (and im not even joking).
I don't even know how to order new uniform, and theres never anyone in the office when I am as they work mornings only!

When I started 2 years ago, due to an accident I had to miss the entire 4 week training period that everyone else did (we were a brand new store), so technically ive never actually had any training or anything and everything ive picked up on my own or taken from when I worked in tescos! Im starting to get as disillusioned with this useless bunch as the pathetic tesco management.

I hate retail..

I'm contracted 25hours and my bonus was £19, my store must've been **** this year 😂
I am yet to receive the info on 'your choice' contracts / new contracts but from what I have gathered thus far and from a nightshit perspective, it only benefits the store and management of colleagues. Financially night shift colleagues could potentially lose out around 1.89 per day providing they work the same amount of hours as before.....this does not even factor in the loss of bank holiday premium. They may be giving 1 pound extra per hour in one hand but taking away 4 hours shift premium in another
I'm so glad I left Asda last year.

There is not a single positive about working there that I can think of.
Hi...Can anyone tell me that how long asda recruiters take to respond because i have applied for couple of jobs and its like month ago and have not heard anything from them. How to contact them about the progress of my application whether it is successful or not?
ASDA is modern day slavery.

I've worked there 2 years, hated every minute of it. The managers are incompetent, the staff are underpaid (they steal hours) and overworked (less breaks).
Original post by HGWells
ASDA is modern day slavery.

I've worked there 2 years, hated every minute of it. The managers are incompetent, the staff are underpaid (they steal hours) and overworked (less breaks).

That may be local to your store however if a store has a few weak links such as incompetent managers then it's a mare working for them.....also Asda does not pay as much as it's competitors
Why does everyone hate working at asda? I enjoy working here and have great colleagues. Lol
Original post by Fermion.
Why does everyone hate working at asda? I enjoy working here and have great colleagues. Lol

Because you have really good stores and horrendous stores. Managers change, services change, colleagues get messed around. I loved working at Asda for the first year, then the manager changed and it was hell. I transferred store during summer and it was even worse.

Be glad that you've got a good store. :yy:
Reply 7871
Original post by katiiiiie
Thank you both :smile: The woman who helped me on the tills had a nose piercing so I was just wondering as I know some places can be quite strict about it.

Was this person on the tills wearing a stud or a ring? Because I have a ring and if I get the job after my interview this week I want to know if they'll ask me to change it or not because mines impossible to remove without going to my piercer haha
Original post by Zrs9
Was this person on the tills wearing a stud or a ring? Because I have a ring and if I get the job after my interview this week I want to know if they'll ask me to change it or not because mines impossible to remove without going to my piercer haha

Asda let you wear piercings and tattoos, in my store they dont care
Has anyone had their meetings about the new contract they are trying to get us to switch over to? Very negative views of it at my store!
Original post by siobhancait
Has anyone had their meetings about the new contract they are trying to get us to switch over to? Very negative views of it at my store!

Had a meeting over the phone as I'm a seasonal colleague but I've not signed anything yet. Probably will sign it but not sure....
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Had a meeting over the phone as I'm a seasonal colleague but I've not signed anything yet. Probably will sign it but not sure....

If it suits you then go for it!
Original post by siobhancait

Personally the contracts suit the managers and section leaders as the colleagues are present when they need/busier days and bank holidays (old timers usually book it off) ...although there is an increase of 1 pound, colleagues would miss out on 1.5 bank holiday premiums and the night shift window is shortened

For anyone planning to work at asda for couple of years then it would not be worthwhile as the national minimum wage is destined to reach 9 pound in 2020 so in a couple of years it will be 8.50 or there abouts.....asda don't state the wage to increase for the new contracts overtime and with the 1 pound buffer
Original post by littlenorthernlass

If you want to work fix days then don't bother.....if you willing to work any day and any department then go for it
Original post by moneydon
If you want to work fix days then don't bother.....if you willing to work any day and any department then go for it

This isnt how the contract works. You pick days where you think you will be free and state that on your contract and you are expected to do those days if they need extra people. E.g if im only contracted on Sundays and I say I am free on Saturday, they can approach me to work for Saturday. They dont throw you into any department if you dont have any training for it, or expect you to work random days.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fermion.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if you like doing your job and get on with the managers and colleagues then you can have no complaint....the main point is to get on with the colleagues and managers otherwise things can go down hill, fast.....tbh, does anyone really like to serve customers/perform retail tasks for a minimum wage? Eventually you aspire to move on and providing your education has given you the path to succeed then the outcome should be peachy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending