The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dannyjames10
Hi there, I am a night shift colleague that joined after 2011, so technically I am on the 'new contract' which means I have to work all bank holidays if required.

I am wondering whether this Thursday is classed as a bank holiday? My manager mentioned something about us having to work it, but they're the type of person who would say that to me just to trick me into working it, I am not contracted to a Thursday and as far as I know the Thursday isn't the bank holiday.

Your on the post 2011 contract that means you have to work bank holidays if they fall on your contracted nights or if the manager requests you to work it...however you can book them off as holiday from your top up hours or make arrangements before hand if you have plans

Thursday is a bank holiday since after 12 am it becomes good Friday and you will be on bank holiday rate from 12am... just watched how many old contracted workers turn up lol
I didn't think that would class as a bank holiday since the shift starts on Thursday.

Is that not like saying that since I am contracted to Friday and Saturday that I have to work Thursday because from 12am it's Friday?
Original post by dannyjames10
I didn't think that would class as a bank holiday since the shift starts on Thursday.

Is that not like saying that since I am contracted to Friday and Saturday that I have to work Thursday because from 12am it's Friday?

Me and you both but Asda think differently and it states in the hand book that where a bank holiday is on a day eg Friday, night shift colleague will need to work the Thursday night into Friday to have worked out Friday bank holiday......Asda do it this way so the colleague receives 5.5 hrs bank holiday premium

Log on to wall mart one and search for the handbook
(edited 7 years ago)
Ugh just had a walk off from self scan with a £26 alcohol that I took the tag off and it could have been easily prevented...:frown: makes you feel really frustrated! :frown:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Ugh just had a walk off from self scan with a £26 alcohol that I took the tag off and it could have been easily prevented...:frown: makes you feel really frustrated! :frown:

Which is why I always make sure that the person has paid for it before I take the tag off. Yes they'll mumble and grumble and "For :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: sake" but it prevents incidents like this.

On another lovely note; Big Visit from New Big Boss tomorrow at my store so everyone is as tense as hell. I've lost all care though so not really bothered.

Next few weeks will be fun as we rip out for checkouts to put in this new Smart Scan system or whatever it's called. Waste of money if you ask me. We need new checkout altogether. Not this complaint box (Cause that's all customers are going to do, complain about it).

Speaking of customers, yet to have my meeting on services or whatever, but from what I gather from the grapevine it's increasing power to the customer... or as one of my colleagues put it; they can throw a cup of coffee in your face one day and the next if they comes through your till or need your help you gotta serve them with a smile on your face"... sorry but if someone throws coffee in my face they'll be getting a right hook, nevermind a smile
It's true...despite it being a bank holiday, my store is not paying time and a half...:indiff:
Just recently started in the home shopping department

Are we able to claim travel expenses?
Original post by Adi141
Just recently started in the home shopping department

Are we able to claim travel expenses?

as far as i'm aware, no
Original post by metalheadgooner
as far as i'm aware, no

Oh well....

I will ask the question to my manager, it's worth a try :smile:
Probably a weird thing to ask for advice on but any ideas, before going to management, on how to subtlety suggest to a new colleague that staying on 3.5 hours after her shift is meant to end (without asking a manager) probably not the best idea, even if it leaves the counter singled manned... I need to be careful because I am known to stay on but never anymore than an hour (without permission) and 99% of the time there's a good reason.. Only reason I want to flag it up with her is because she's done it before solely to have a conversation with someone, it doesn't get noticed cause we don't really have an SL and our manager is never really around either... I wouldn't care if work got done but it doesn't... :/
Original post by HollyHox
Probably a weird thing to ask for advice on but any ideas, before going to management, on how to subtlety suggest to a new colleague that staying on 3.5 hours after her shift is meant to end (without asking a manager) probably not the best idea, even if it leaves the counter singled manned... I need to be careful because I am known to stay on but never anymore than an hour (without permission) and 99% of the time there's a good reason.. Only reason I want to flag it up with her is because she's done it before solely to have a conversation with someone, it doesn't get noticed cause we don't really have an SL and our manager is never really around either... I wouldn't care if work got done but it doesn't... :/

she spends 3.5 hrs talking to people?
how much do asda pay 19 year olds?
i'm getting very pissed off now. i need to change my address but walmart one is broken and won't let you view anything to do with your profile to change information. went to personnel and they said to call shared services, who in turn said to call technical support. however i cannot see how they could help and didn't even have a walmart one option on their lists. all i want to do is change my address. why is this causing me so much hassle?
Has anyone here left Asda and came crawling back? I left just under a year ago (on good terms). I have an interview next week, I'm wondering if they will see that I have 7 years of experience with them and realise that it would be stupid not to take me on (don't mean to sound big headed, but I have worked on almost every department and know smart/home shopping inside and out).

Mind you, it is not the same store that I worked at previously although it is in the same region.

Can anyone also explain this new contract? it seems good in terms of pay but I bet there is a catch
Anyone signed new contracts and work on nights?...we have had zero interest from our night shift for those contracts and it's funny how the shift managers make the new contract out as beneficial for colleagues, particularly those doing overtime.....only benefit asda and the management
Reply 7915
Sorry to jump into the conversation.
I was wondering about the process of switching departments or store and how I would go about it. My manager is adamant in not letting me go and I cant stand fresh anymore. Ideas??
Original post by Luora
Sorry to jump into the conversation.
I was wondering about the process of switching departments or store and how I would go about it. My manager is adamant in not letting me go and I cant stand fresh anymore. Ideas??

Well you cannot just quit one department for another without there being a vacancy on the next department

One route would be to speak to the Peoples manager regarding transfer

Or Check the webite for internal vacancies and other store vacancies and apply to any one that suits you

Or give a valid reason why you cannot work the department to see if they can assist you
Original post by lcorrin
how much do asda pay 19 year olds?

They pay everybody the same regardless of age.
Right I'm probably applying for another Asda job for the 10th time within last 5 years but I really need to get it through this time. I'm stuck on how to best describe the bit where it asks "Tell us about yourself". What should I write and what to avoid?
Original post by h4mza
Right I'm probably applying for another Asda job for the 10th time within last 5 years but I really need to get it through this time. I'm stuck on how to best describe the bit where it asks "Tell us about yourself". What should I write and what to avoid?

- I am an enthusiastic player of badminton for my school's badminton team. - I keep to a fitness routine at the gym that requires me to be organised and determined. I set myself goals for what I want to achieve in a month and work exceptionally hard to achieve them.
- Enjoy babysitting for my family
- Going out with friends and family as a way to relax

This is what I wrote. I work in Asda now. If you need any other pointers just let me know. But I think include something that shows you set goals and set yourself a challenge and show that you have a balanced life (like to go out with friends, do other things to pass time and remain productive)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending