The Student Room Group

The Working At Asda Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanceLukeDance
Hey guys,
I now have the job at Asda, and I had an induction last week where I had to watch a variety of videos and work on the shop floor for a few hours.
However, they have not contacted me at all about when I should go in to start work :s-smilie:
I had the induction last wednesday, and they said they would send me a letter through the post about when to turn up for work- but I havn't received anything. Am I just being impatient?

Also, when I was working on the shop floor I had a hard time "rumbling". Can someone give me some pointers on how to stack shelves? - Just for future reference :smile:

Thanks a bunch!

Id give the store a call and talk to your dept manager/ section leader and ask them I got given my next shifts at the end of my induction from my manager.

and rumbling youll get the hang of over time, I didn't really get it for the first 2 weeks of shop floor I did if your chilled / Counters I normally pull the old stock off one line and use the space to shove the new dates behind the entire shelf then put said stock back and produce you just take the old crate off put the stock in the new one and fold the crate handles in stack it put the new crate on top, Grocery and frozen/ H&L I have no idea :tongue:
Next pay day please?
Basically, I originally applied to a permanent placement, which I thought I had due to it being the same departments, but it turns out they only gave me a temporary job. What are the chances of me getting a permanent one after my temp work is over?
Original post by charlie9872

Original post by charlie9872
Basically, I originally applied to a permanent placement, which I thought I had due to it being the same departments, but it turns out they only gave me a temporary job. What are the chances of me getting a permanent one after my temp work is over?

This happened to quite a few people in our store, some got offered permanents, some didn't, but that was more due to the fact that our store wasn't making much money. So you might still be offered a permanent one.
Would it be possible to get a weekend job : 3 ? or will they not like pickyness?
Reply 1385
WHat does the induction day involve?

I have got one tomorrow..

Do I need to bring anything and how long does it last.

Much appreciated.
Reply 1386
I had mine yesterday and Sunday both were 9 to 5, the first day you get your uniform, and you fill out forms about legislation and what you are expected to do while working ie "10 foot rule"

Then yesterday we did till training, then we did fire marshal training and lastly you go to computers and do quizzes on disability and discrimination acts.
Reply 1387
Original post by Hearts10
I had mine yesterday and Sunday both were 9 to 5, the first day you get your uniform, and you fill out forms about legislation and what you are expected to do while working ie "10 foot rule"

Then yesterday we did till training, then we did fire marshal training and lastly you go to computers and do quizzes on disability and discrimination acts.

Well the the session I have been booked in for begins at 11:30....Maybe it varies from store to store?
Reply 1388
Hi people, I've never been on this site before and I found this thread while googling. I start my first proper shift at Asda on the Checkouts tomorrow and I'm absolutely terrified. I had the induction session on Saturday, and my checkout training on Monday, but everything I was told and did seems to have popped right out of my head. I'm fully confident that I can scan things and take card and cash payments, but when someone wants money putting onto a gift card, or paying by gift card I don't have a clue what to do. I did both of those on Monday when I had an experienced person stood behind me telling me what to do, but I can't remember exactly what buttons I pressed, and I'm terrified that I'm not going to remember what to do.

And what if I have to void an item over £3? There is a special process that involves printing off a mid transaction receipt, but who do I give it to and how do I give it to them? I voided a few items on Monday because I was double scanning them, but they were all below £3. I know I've always got the help button if I need help, but I don't want to be using it every 5 minutes for something simple. I don't want to make the customers wait and I want to make a good first impression on my supervisors. I'm absolutely terrified of making a big mistake. I was nervous enough when I had someone stood behind me telling me what to do, and now I'm going to be on my own.
Reply 1389
Right really unsure how long this induction day thingy is going to last....

Pretty nervous....I'm really not sure why though...?

Just going to wear trousers and a shirt
Reply 1390
Original post by Matty90
Hi people, I've never been on this site before and I found this thread while googling. I start my first proper shift at Asda on the Checkouts tomorrow and I'm absolutely terrified. I had the induction session on Saturday, and my checkout training on Monday, but everything I was told and did seems to have popped right out of my head. I'm fully confident that I can scan things and take card and cash payments, but when someone wants money putting onto a gift card, or paying by gift card I don't have a clue what to do. I did both of those on Monday when I had an experienced person stood behind me telling me what to do, but I can't remember exactly what buttons I pressed, and I'm terrified that I'm not going to remember what to do.

And what if I have to void an item over £3? There is a special process that involves printing off a mid transaction receipt, but who do I give it to and how do I give it to them? I voided a few items on Monday because I was double scanning them, but they were all below £3. I know I've always got the help button if I need help, but I don't want to be using it every 5 minutes for something simple. I don't want to make the customers wait and I want to make a good first impression on my supervisors. I'm absolutely terrified of making a big mistake. I was nervous enough when I had someone stood behind me telling me what to do, and now I'm going to be on my own.

Don't panic! I had like an hour training but you pick it up quickly. If you need help then just press help, I still call my supervisor over for phone top ups lol. To void items over £3 again just call over your supervisor. They really won't care. Just be apologetic to the customer and explain its your first day. Good luck.
Reply 1391
Original post by Matty90

Don't worry about it! I worked on the ASDA checkouts for about a year, and I now do the Customer Service desk. It's not that difficult - honestly! Just takes a bit of practice.

Gift cards are one that always catch people out. If they want to add money to one, make sure you haven't pressed total yet. If it's showing a total, press clear so it goes back to showing 'Enter item'. Then pop in the value to be added to the card (say £5) then swipe the card. If it's a brand new card, even easier. Just scan the barcode on the back of the paper card-holder then swipe the card. Then pop in the amount.

If they want to pay with a card, make sure you HAVE pressed total. then put the value in, and press gift card. Then swipe the card. Money off the card.

As for voids, the till will stop you if it's over the value set by your store. It'll show *CSM on the screen. You then need to call over the runner, so they can put in the keys and their code to allow it to continue. The Mid-transaction receipt is to show them that you've voided that item.

But the big thing is - don't worry about making a mistake. If you do, just call for someone. They can sort it out for you. Even if this means starting the whole thing again, or going off to the customer service desk.

Oh, and a tip. If you want to know the time, press 10, then press action code. Then enter. Will print out a wee slip with the time at the bottom.
Reply 1392
Got my first shift tonight, very nervous, working in the home and leisure dept, dont know what to expect or what i will be doing?
Reply 1393
Got my contract signed today and uniform handed to me...Pretty dull day all in all....Lot's of Health and safety videos...First day is on friday...

Great pay though £7.02 PH for the xmas period with an option for managers to make staff permanent
Reply 1394
first shift went well, although there was a fire alarm because a chip pan went on fire, so we had to stand outside for an hour :L, thrown in at the deep end though, just left do to stacking, and getting customer queries that i couldn't answer :L
Sharing my recruitment experience on here, since this helped me a lot to prepare for it :biggrin:

Put in about 4 different applications for one of the Aberdeen ASDAs. Got called in maybe a week after I put them in for an ASDA Magic session, which was actually fun - although for the item selling bit we had gift bows, and my partner had never seen them in his life.. Proved entertaining anyway :P

Then, got a call back the next day saying I passed and got asked to go to the one-on-one interview, which was the easiest interview I've ever done [and was last week Monday], and got offered the job on the spot. Awkwardly the interviewer [who's the GSM] mixed up my file with someone elses, which thankfully I spotted otherwise some random would've gotten my job off of my awesome interview! :frown:

Got asked to go to the Best Welcome the next day which was overly tedious - lots of forms and videos, although the video they show you about Challenge 25 ended up being unintentionally hilarious - trying for a crime scene type video, but we were in absolute hysterics. Shows the good atmosphere in the workplace eh? XD

THENNN were the two training sessions [Thurs + Fri], Thursday's was horrifically screwed up as the trainer was completely unprepared, and we couldn't get the alcohol sales training [I believe this is just a Scottish thing] so I was literally staring at the till for two hours doing nothing. But they rectified it on the Friday - even then, you don't really need two days of training, 95% of your transcations will be the same and for the other 5% even some of the guys who've been there for months might have trouble with those, so don't feel guilty about asking for help :P

Going in for my 3rd proper shift tomorrow, it can get a bit repetitive but for what it is, it's great money AND you get to sit down. Job structure [as an Xmas temp] seems to be one contracted shift and then as much overtime as you please.

Hope this helped someone! :biggrin:

TL;DR: Went from application to fully trained staff member in under a month. :smile:
Hi, got a xmas temp job at my local store and are waiting for my hours as the rota was not done. Had checkout training today for 2 hours so am dreading the first time i have to go on tills.
Can i also ask someone what is the likelyhood that i will be kept on after xmas as i really would love to stay as the staff are all lovely and it seems a nice store?
Original post by Hearts10

What's the 10 foot rule?
Original post by Lol_Fish
What's the 10 foot rule?

You have to acknowledge/say hello/offer to help any customer within 10 feet of you.
Original post by should be revising
You have to acknowledge/say hello/offer to help any customer within 10 feet of you.

Aha ^^ thanks : ) !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending