This discussion is closed.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
So, I have an offer from robinson Cambridge and I need AAA so what happens if I miss one grade. It is a very scary prospect. I have to either take a second choice of university or take a year out and reapply if they don't let me in. So how can I maximise my chances - I wonder how they would feel if I got AABB rather than my predicted AAAB. Would having a fourth A level work in my favour? I guess it is maths that I am most worried about as my class is unfocussed and it i one of those subjects where you don't know if you will be able to understand harder concepts you just have to wait to try and learn them and see. On the other and it has the highest percentage of people achieving A at AS to go on to achieve A at A2. I will have hopefully finished my A2 chemistry with a B this week. Maybe I should drop maths and retake a couple of the chem papers in the summer. It is so difficult to decide. Has anyone else here made these sorts of decisions successfully?

Musicboy
Veedy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
So, I have an offer from robinson Cambridge and I need AAA so what happens if I miss one grade. It is a very scary prospect. I have to either take a second choice of university or take a year out and reapply if they don't let me in. So how can I maximise my chances - I wonder how they would feel if I got AABB rather than my predicted AAAB. Would having a fourth A level work in my favour? I guess it is maths that I am most worried about as my class is unfocussed and it i one of those subjects where you don't know if you will be able to understand harder concepts you just have to wait to try and learn them and see. On the other and it has the highest percentage of people achieving A at AS to go on to achieve A at A2. I will have hopefully finished my A2 chemistry with a B this week. Maybe I should drop maths and retake a couple of the chem papers in the summer. It is so difficult to decide. Has anyone else here made these sorts of decisions successfully?

Musicboy

Musicboy, I'm in the same boat as you. I got an offer of AAA from Worcester college, Oxford and I took four a-levels.

I thought I would carry on with four as this would give me a chance to slip up as it where. However, for me, it felt like taking four subjects was restricting my chances of getting AAA, not helping, because maths was very weak for me and I found that whilst taking four subjects, I didn't have enough time to do all my work.

Now I have dropped maths. It feels great with so many more free periods but I know I can't slip up now.

My advice to you would be if taking four subjects isn't causing you too spend too little time on one or more of the subjects, then carry on as you are. If, however, you are finding you're time very restricted, then I would advise dropping one. Hope this helps.
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Musicboy, if you do decide to drop Maths, remember to check with the college - offers are like contracts, so if you drop a subject which you've put on your UCAS form you have to tell them first.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lurker)
Musicboy, if you do decide to drop Maths, remember to check with the college - offers are like contracts, so if you drop a subject which you've put on your UCAS form you have to tell them first.
yes - its not up to you, its up to the college. what they say, goes.
Suzy_vet
Report 16 years ago
Thats something im worried about. ive got a AAA offer, and so id like to drop my fourth Alevel subject which is further maths, but i dont know if i can. ive contacted my college but as yet no reply.

Thing is, if they dont let me drop it, all i have to do is do it, i dont have to do well in it. its lowest on my priority list. i seem to be struggling with all maths right now so i would love to quit it, i hate it!
cezevans
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)

Musicboy
Hi, I know how you feel. I've got an offer of AAA to study Biology and I'm worried that if I don't get it I'll be disappointed and feel like I should have done better. Does anyone know if they'll still accept you if you slip a grade? Luckily for me, I don't have extra pressure as I am only doing the three full A-Levels (plus an AS this year) but that means I can't afford to slack in any of my subjects. It's a bit worrying, I think I'm just going to have to work my arse off! Don't worry too much about it, I'm sure you'll be fine- if you've had an offer, you must be perfectly capable. Good Luck!!
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm in the same boat more or less. I've got an AAB + 1,1 STEP offer and really need to concentrate on the STEP papers, but I'm still doing four A-levels: maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I've sat all my normal maths exams and will sit all the further maths exams in the summer, but I need to know the further maths stuff to do the STEP 3 paper so time is against me. I'm not sure whether I should drop anything and if I did which subject.
leda swanson
Report 16 years ago
i'm in the same boat as you too- i got an AAA offer and was doing 4 A-levels but have since dropped one in order to 'concentrate' on the other 3... there doesn't seem much point in trying to get 4 As just incase i mess one up... i had to write to my college formally to alter the 'contract' but there didn't seem to be too much of a problem. having spoken to my head of sixth i am much less stressed about working my arse off to make the grades, because apparently if you did well in your ASs then you don't need to get an A in your A-level exams in order to get an A overall. in history for example i can get 30% in the july synoptic paper and because i have As generally elsewhere i would still get an A. this is apparently the same for all subjects so its worth checking it out. good luck!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads