Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kish)
How do you revise for english?

any tips?

any help would be appreciated
You can't really as such, but you need to learn how to use the skill of analysing. There are plently of good revision sites on google.
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kish)

any tips?

It's not really that easy to revise for english. If it's literature then you obviously read the book through etc etc.

I pressume you're talking about english language. All I do is read through some techniquies in how to write about certain things. The last exam I had was how to persuade/argue/advise so I just read through some techniques like emotive writing, technical writing, colloquiallisms etc.
Otherwise, just read through a dictionary, that should help your vocab
Aylia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Practise essays are always good too - timing yourself is good so you get used to the time allowed. For a lit exam you could also try and think of possible questions and make essay plans for them.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Analyse lots of poetry. Am I the only person who actually enjoys that? Everyone else I know hates it.

And write an essay about the book your studying, and re-read it, so you know it back to front.
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Reply on lots of message boards, making sure your English is as accurate and well spoken as possible. Try and notice the mistakes other people make as well.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Practise the sort of essay questions that come up under timed conditions and then show them to an english teacher to grade them and tell you where they think you could improve. Also, read your essays with the mark schemes to get more of an idea about what you need to work on.

Obviously you have to understand the books but I find it's far more important to write in the correct style. I find you can get middle 'a' grade essays with zero understanding provided you structure your answer well and back it up with lots of well-integrated quotations.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
I pressume you're talking about english language. All I do is read through some techniquies in how to write about certain things. The last exam I had was how to persuade/argue/advise so I just read through some techniques like emotive writing, technical writing, colloquiallisms etc.
I think that's pretty good advice. Also, for top marks in the reading questions you often need to analyse the language so if you can spot things like this and write about how the author uses them, you're set.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Read sparksnotes
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kish)

any tips?

for Literature, make sure you use post-it notes (or similar) throughout the books (especially the Novel) so you can find key quotations quickly.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by corey)
for Literature, make sure you use post-it notes (or similar) throughout the books (especially the Novel) so you can find key quotations quickly.
That's good advice, but if he's in year 10 then he isn't allowed to write in the books. The current year 11 is the last year to be able to do that, I think.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads