This discussion is closed.
ogs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
hey ogs! u no its quite weird, i hav a friend called ogi whose also applying for arch. lol random thought i just shared. i live in london too! and im applyin 4 econ and stayin in london so either ucl/lse for me.. tho i havent gotten an offer from lse yet. purely stayin in london for job prospects silly i no...
but im REALLY looking forward 2 uni u hav no idea! i really want to explore london club scene, iv been quite sheltered so i wna get out there! lol im gna b broke by the end of the first month... bugger....
but at least ill hav fun!
iv got warwick york and bath as well atm but i dont really care about them to be honest....!!

ok as u can see i ramble! woops shudda gone offline ages ago...
good luck deciding what u do - keep us posted with ur thoughts! this forum is great im annoyed i only just discovered it!
mazxxxx
dude you live in london and haven't explored the night life yet?! whats going on? where in london? my name is alex not "ogs"...but my dad calls me that sooo i use it ocasionally as a nickname... but my friends don't use it! lol!
arabian_prince
Report 16 years ago
aww thnx guys...ur help is much appreciated!!!
yeah i hav my UCL interview on 11th Feb around 11am...........the thing is ive neva done art in GCSE.....only started it as a AS level (which im doin now - predicted an A) and i dont hav much to show! wot d u think i can do in these 2 weeks? any suggestions?...........any1 else in the same senario?.....its sooo stressful man!
adelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
tip for ucl - theyr v v v arty so make sure u hav a really colourful portfolio so they look up and say 'ooooooooooooooo'!
thanks ! my portfolio isnt quite so colourful, i have a hell of a lot of photography (i do a lot of pro photography) mainly b&w, lots of sketches, freehand drawings, a couple of marker rendered concept sketches. . errr. . and some graphic design / web design ..
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
they really like experimentation!!!! the bottom line!
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol okay .. and what do you mean by experimentation ?
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Use of different materials, unconventional stuff... exploring different media and getting ideas... (i suppose a good explanation on why you've done it... etc)
When's you interview? Good Luck
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well i dont have an interview yet - they sent me a letter asking me tosend a portfolio as im an international student (they dont want to make me come all the way to UK) .. but as im going to be in london on wednesday for an interview at the Architectural Association I emailed them to tell them im going to be there if they would like me to come in for an interview ... no reply yet but .. yeah..
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by arabian_prince)
aww thnx guys...ur help is much appreciated!!!
yeah i hav my UCL interview on 11th Feb around 11am...........the thing is ive neva done art in GCSE.....only started it as a AS level (which im doin now - predicted an A) and i dont hav much to show! wot d u think i can do in these 2 weeks? any suggestions?...........any1 else in the same senario?.....its sooo stressful man!
yes i am ! i dont do art,never have fullstop :P.. but i do DT so im gonna show my project work there and i do a lot of photography, drawing and stuff in my free time .. ill post my portfolio up tommorow (ill scan it) so you can tell me what you think ... but .. i suggest u do some sketching, life drawing - ie go and sit outside somehwere, look at a building or whatever and draw. ...
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
well i dont have an interview yet - they sent me a letter asking me tosend a portfolio as im an international student (they dont want to make me come all the way to UK) .. but as im going to be in london on wednesday for an interview at the Architectural Association I emailed them to tell them im going to be there if they would like me to come in for an interview ... no reply yet but .. yeah..
Where are you from may I ask?
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by starry)
Where are you from may I ask?
I live in Dubai, but im bulgarian .. why ?
hillsy888
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
lol okay .. and what do you mean by experimentation ?
no offense but if u know nothing of the word experimentation you dont deserve to do architecture, the best experiment (architects that is), and if you take tips from someone else on what to take to an interview u cant know much about the whole architecture/design world, you should show originality not just some structured presentation, and most of all u should have a passion if u dont u wont get newhere, o n they know when ur blaggin about how much u know about architects and their projects because they can feel it.., if u dont really want to do it or arent sure then dont do it... it is hard work n u have to be the dogs to get recognised and stand out from the monotonous crowd who think they have everything but have nothin.......
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hillsy888)
no offense but if u know nothing of the word experimentation you dont deserve to do architecture, the best experiment (architects that is), and if you take tips from someone else on what to take to an interview u cant know much about the whole architecture/design world, you should show originality not just some structured presentation, and most of all u should have a passion if u dont u wont get newhere, o n they know when ur blaggin about how much u know about architects and their projects because they can feel it.., if u dont really want to do it or arent sure then dont do it... it is hard work n u have to be the dogs to get recognised and stand out from the monotonous crowd who think they have everything but have nothin.......
errrrrrrrrr .. okay then .. Im not taking tips, im just asking, my portfolio is ready, i do alot of graphic design experimentation, tons of photography stuff - especially abstract, different sketching styles blah blah ... why am i telling you this ? I just wanted to know what that person means by experimentation, its jut a friendly tip by him or her. I dont have a very structured presentation its just all my work that Ill try and talk about it.
And If I werent really sure or dont really want to become an architect then why the hell would I apply to become one ?! Ofcourse its hardwork to be recognised, as it is in every other subject but if you have the passion, love for what you do then .. the only way is forward. Whats with you and this hate towards .. I dunno "the monotonous crowd who thing they have everything but have nothin.... " whats all that about.
italianmark
Report 16 years ago
as a rather superb student who goes to a private school full of people who think they are the dogs * but really are trained to blag and have their minds filled with conformist *, i find your comments disgusting beacuse they are the truth and someone may actually realise and stop accepting tosh instead of people with passion/potential wink wink see u later andy
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by italianmark)
as a rather superb student who goes to a private school full of people who think they are the dogs * but really are trained to blag and have their minds filled with conformist *, i find your comments disgusting beacuse they are the truth and someone may actually realise and stop accepting tosh instead of people with passion/potential wink wink see u later andy
errr .. what ?! Are you saying universtities accept people with tosh but not with passion/potential ? Have you been rejected from somewhere that you are so bitter ? (same goes to hillsy888)
italianmark
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
errr .. what ?! Are you saying universtities accept people with tosh but not with passion/potential ? Have you been rejected from somewhere that you are so bitter ? (same goes to hillsy888)
unfortunately yes i am, a view i would have had even if i didnt get rejected by cambridge... there is slight corruption as in most other things dont you agree?
hillsy888
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
Er no i was just off on one..... i have offers from newcastle, cardiff, liverpool, ucl, AA but neway o n italian boy he is just in the conversation for fun bit of a stirer (if there is such a word who knows) neway thats enough of that what is your fav building/ architect...... what ur offers lookin like n what subjects do u take
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ogs)
dude you live in london and haven't explored the night life yet?! whats going on? where in london? my name is alex not "ogs"...but my dad calls me that sooo i use it ocasionally as a nickname... but my friends don't use it! lol!
i wud hav explored if i wud b let free from my house more often - not my fault! and so i will make the most of uni :P went out last night to leicester sq... total disaster of a night... how can ppl not bring id with them?!!!! grr...

north west london wooooooo thats me. wer r u?

ogs sounds like a pretty cool nickname to me! any progress in deciding what uni? am pretty much certain i will take my ucl offer but that thread saying how awful ucl is has suddenly made me a bit.. ooh i duno. ill try and put it out my mind! wow wat an unproductive weekend iv had.
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
I live in Dubai, but im bulgarian .. why ?
oooh i hav loadsa family in the UAE! how cooool! best of luck with ur application.
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i wud hav explored if i wud b let free from my house more often - not my fault! and so i will make the most of uni :P went out last night to leicester sq... total disaster of a night... how can ppl not bring id with them?!!!! grr...

north west london wooooooo thats me. wer r u?

ogs sounds like a pretty cool nickname to me! any progress in deciding what uni? am pretty much certain i will take my ucl offer but that thread saying how awful ucl is has suddenly made me a bit.. ooh i duno. ill try and put it out my mind! wow wat an unproductive weekend iv had.

I'm round arsenal territory, highbury... Fraid i can't answer the whole how to go places without id question but.. leicester sq isn't all that great. Angel is good...
Um i'm still stuck on the whole uni thing! i might wait to see what my retake results were from jan to c if i have any chance of getting an a in physics! lol (doubt it!) but that thread did actually crush my views on how fun ucl looked.. oh and from another source... someone doing architecture at ucl 3rd year it's really stressful and you don't get studio space in the 2nd year (have been meaning to check this, am not too sure)
anyway ought to go... argggh school soon...
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

SPOT ON! (sorry to cause offense.. but i couln't have put it better myself!)
I only decided to do architecture bout april last year having realised how boring engineering would be (a trip to loughboro on a two day taster)+ how i hate physics but about how much i would miss being creative and experimentative, and from the beginning of the interviews i was honest with them... and basically spoke the whole truth bout everything... i can't help it but i even ended up saying that my essay writting skills weren't great (ie only A at Gcse in essay subjects) ) and all the uni's still accepted me..I suppose it was my passion for life and creativity that came through! or at least a passion for something!. so just a bit of proof to back up your point!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads