The Student Room Group

Infected wisdom tooth

Anyone had one? It kills! Dentist has prescribed antibiotics, and corsodyl, but if it doesn't work, gotta have it taken out.

Anyone had any taken out?

Scroll to see replies

Mine is just getting over an infection! Throbbed since saturday night, I've been taking different painkillers until the dentist could fit me on wed. He said it was infected (I'd thought it just couldn't fit, because both my sisters had trouble), and prescribed Metronidazole. Realised it was the swelling not the actual tooth that was hurting, so I switched to ibuprofen, which is so much more effective!
Today, for the first time, I've not had to take any pain killers yet :O SUCH a relief, and hopeful for you that your antibiotics won't take too long to kick in either.

But yeah, not had it taken out - he says other than the infection, it should come through fine, that it has room :/ this is my bottom tooth - my top two have come through fine, but I've had nothing of my bottom ones. But I'm still worried because my 2 sisters had absolute hell from theirs.
Original post by insignificant
Anyone had one? It kills! Dentist has prescribed antibiotics, and corsodyl, but if it doesn't work, gotta have it taken out.

Tons of people get their wisdom teeth removed. Completely normal; some are luckier than others.

Infections *should* usually go away with antibiotics though. :smile:

Wish you the best of luck!
Reply 3

Once the antibiotics start to kick in, the pain should ease up. The cordosyl should prevent the bacteria coming back. If you are in a lot of pain, it might be worthwhile taking some painkillers - ibuprofen will reduce inflamation so that's probably your best bet. :smile:
Reply 4
Hey I had an infection in my wisdom tooth a few months ago so I totally sympathise, it's horrible! I found that corsodyl stuff was fantastic though if you use it correctly, it says not to use it straight after brushing your teeth because something in the toothpaste stops it working effectively.
Unfortunately I still had to have all four of mine removed under general anaesthetic because they were coming through almost perpendicular and splitting the roots of my other teeth :-( but even if it comes to the worst and you have to have them removed its only painful for a few days
Original post by catkin21
Hey I had an infection in my wisdom tooth a few months ago so I totally sympathise, it's horrible! I found that corsodyl stuff was fantastic though if you use it correctly, it says not to use it straight after brushing your teeth because something in the toothpaste stops it working effectively.
Unfortunately I still had to have all four of mine removed under general anaesthetic because they were coming through almost perpendicular and splitting the roots of my other teeth :-( but even if it comes to the worst and you have to have them removed its only painful for a few days

It's not the pain I fear, it's the general anaesthetic, I have a fear of not being fully asleep, not being able to move and having a panic attack , if I have to have it out I hope it's only a local one!
Reply 6
It's not the pain I fear, it's the general anaesthetic, I have a fear of not being fully asleep, not being able to move and having a panic attack , if I have to have it out I hope it's only a local one!

As far as I'm aware most wisdom tooth removals are done at your dentists under local anaesthetic in less than 20 minutes. This was the case for my friends anyway, I was the only one lucky enough to get special treatment and go to the hospital because they were just that bad! If your dentist didn't warn you at the time he checked the infection that it looked like it would be near impossible to remove then you'll probably just be under local, don't worry :-)
Dentists do not usually operate on infected teeth/gums... They usually wait until it has subsided; if there is an infection, it will be really minimal if they operate.

Even for normal fillings and tooth extractions, if you have an infection, dentists are most likely to put you on antibiotics first and wait until the infection is almost gone before they do anything I think. x]
Woke up this morning, and one side of my face looks like a chipmunk. :frown: it hurts so bad!
Reply 9
I had all my wisdom teeth removed earlier this year, I had it done under general anaesthetic as they were very badly impacted. Best thing I ever did, it's so nice not having to worry about the pain of them anymore.

But most dentists will try and do them under local anaesthetic if poss. I would really recommend this as I felt really ill after having mine removed, I had two black eyes and brusing all over my face, I guess this is because they are more careful when it's being done under local anaesthetic. Also I had to wait ages to have mine out under GA.
Reply 10
Original post by tbm
But most dentists will try and do them under local anaesthetic if poss. I would really recommend this as I felt really ill after having mine removed, I had two black eyes and brusing all over my face, I guess this is because they are more careful when it's being done under local anaesthetic. Also I had to wait ages to have mine out under GA.
From seeing a little bit of maxfac work, impacted teeth usually require a fair bit of force to dislodge, it's not the gentle twist and pull that you get at the dentist. :wink:
Holy crap, bruising on your face... stop scaring me! -dies-
Reply 12
Original post by Chelle-belle
Holy crap, bruising on your face... stop scaring me! -dies-
You're a grown-up, if you want to keep the teeth, say so.
Original post by Renal
You're a grown-up, if you want to keep the teeth, say so.

Grown ups can suffer from paranoia and fear, sorry. x]
Reply 14
For me personally, a little bit of pain and bruising following the op was worth it to not have to worry about the pesky things ever again :smile:
Original post by tbm
For me personally, a little bit of pain and bruising following the op was worth it to not have to worry about the pesky things ever again :smile:

Yeah haha. I'm glad it was okay in the end :biggrin:
Reply 16
Grown ups can suffer from paranoia and fear, sorry. x]
Fear of a bruise?
Original post by Renal
Fear of a bruise?

Fear of pain :frown:

Getting a bruise on your face from an extraction sounds rough imo. :rolleyes:

Yeah I was on antibiotics 1st too but it was too late for me :frown:. I had two taken out from both the right and left side of my mouth! I had this done under general anesthetic - but next time (as I'm having the remaining two also taken out) I think, I'm having sedation.

I was happy that I couldn't feel anything whilst they were being taken out.. but the after pain.. OMG! The pain - I was on paracetamol & Ibuprofen. It lasted about a week but I was on liquid foods and it just generally sucked!

Although, luckily I didn't get any infections or anything. I can't wait until the last 2 are out now.

Good luck if you take yours out! :smile:
Reply 19
Fear of pain :frown:

Getting a bruise on your face from an extraction sounds rough imo. :rolleyes:
Then don't have an extraction.

Quick Reply

Latest