AS Level OCR Physics A: Best text book?

Watch
Doughnut
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey guys,

I recently bought 'calculations for a-level physics' which is great in that it has plenty of worked examples and practice questions. However, I'm now looking for a base textbook to help me through the course. I'm asking as I've heard the course textbook isn't all that great? What do you think to the Cambridge OCR Advanced Sciences ones? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers
jontylol
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would suggest the official book, because i find the chemistry equivalent very good. Unfortunately i do AQA A for physics and the book is awful

The best thing about the OCR course is the revision guide, its great as it only tells you what you need for the exam, and none of the additional stuff that the book waffles on about. I recommend getting it!
apo1324
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jontylol)
I would suggest the official book, because i find the chemistry equivalent very good. Unfortunately i do AQA A for physics and the book is awful

The best thing about the OCR course is the revision guide, its great as it only tells you what you need for the exam, and none of the additional stuff that the book waffles on about. I recommend getting it!
Do you mean the Physics 1 Cambridge advanced science book?
jontylol
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by apo1324)
The heinemann one
Freerider101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jontylol)

Same here. OCR Chemistry and then AQA Physics. Although I actually bought the OCR Physics book even though I'm doing AQA because I saw it for £2 but I found the topics weren't very similar unfortunately.
Doughnut
Rep:
?
Have you used this book? If so, how did you find it?
apo1324
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Doughnut)
Have you used this book? If so, how did you find it?
Umm, my teacher suggested I use it along with the OCR book but personally I hate the OCR AS Physics book. Although the OCR Chemistry one etc are good. :P

PS:- I have the books also copied onto my computer electronically because my teacher only had one book so if u want I can give you the AS version. Somehow.
Doughnut
Rep:
?
Umm, my teacher suggested I use it along with the OCR book but personally I hate the OCR AS Physics book. Although the OCR Chemistry one etc are good. :P

PS:- I have the books also copied onto my computer electronically because my teacher only had one book so if u want I can give you the AS version. Somehow.
yeah, that's what a lot of people have told me. And thanks but no thanks, I already have it on my computer, but I like to have an actual physical book which is why I'm considering which one to buy. Will probably go for this one then
uhanif
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am doing the Physics OCR A course in AS and I would highly recommend the Physics 1 Cambridge Advanced Sciences book. My school originally gave me the OCR Physics Heinemann book which contained so much irrelevant knowledge and wasn't clear so I bought the revision guide which I thought would be good enough for the exam. However, when I started past paper questions I released that the questions in the exam were barely like either books implied they were. Anyway to cut the long story short, I was introduced to the Physics 1 Cambridge Advanced Sciences book and it's contents are very similar to the mark scheme in past papers. It also explains the concepts very well.
eng96
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hi there,
I was wondering if anyone had a pdf version or the electronic version of the Physics 2 for OCR, cambridge byGurinder Chadha. Would it be possible for anyone to share it with me??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.16%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.31%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (111)
12.43%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.38%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.09%
Financial worries (60)
6.72%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.27%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.06%

Watched Threads