This discussion is closed.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
If a Uni makes you a points offer then does that mean that you can use all your subjects except the ones that they specifically exclude (e.g. general studies and key skills)?? On my points offer it just says "a total of 300 UCAS points, excluding general studies and key skills". Does this mean that because I do four subjects I could for example get in with CCCC??? :confused:
F. Poste
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think that's why a lot of unis still use grades as offers, because the UCAS points make things very confusing. I have one points offer and it's ridiculously complicated, "blah blah number of points from 3 A-levels including 100 points in this subject or blah blah number of points from two A-levels and two AS levels including 100 points in X subject"

As my points offer explicitly says "320 points from 3 A-levels or ..." I'm guessing that as yours doesn't, it means you could get it from 4 A-levels. It might say something in the prospectus about that though.
Leekey
(Original post by F. Poste)
I think that's why a lot of unis still use grades as offers, because the UCAS points make things very confusing. I have one points offer and it's ridiculously complicated, "blah blah number of points from 3 A-levels including 100 points in this subject or blah blah number of points from two A-levels and two AS levels including 100 points in X subject"

As my points offer explicitly says "320 points from 3 A-levels or ..." I'm guessing that as yours doesn't, it means you could get it from 4 A-levels. It might say something in the prospectus about that though.
I've just e-mailed the Uni asking them and hopefully I'll get the reply within a few days or so!!!!
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
If a Uni makes you a points offer then does that mean that you can use all your subjects except the ones that they specifically exclude (e.g. general studies and key skills)?? On my points offer it just says "a total of 300 UCAS points, excluding general studies and key skills". Does this mean that because I do four subjects I could for example get in with CCCC??? :confused:
The offer should have stated how many A-levels and AS-levels you can take points from. A standard offer would be x points from 3 A-levels and 1 AS-level OR 2 A-levels and 2 AS-levels.

The point system tries to make things fairer by taking into account AS-levels. You only get half points for an AS-level, so to get in with only 2 A-levels means you will have had to get good AS grades.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its normally your 3 best A Levels but some unis do have different systems.
Leekey
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
YES
If I get this reply from them I will be soooo happy, it would mean that even if I miss my grades for my first choice Uni, I can still get into a Uni that I really like as my insurance!!!
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got offers in points for warwick and leeds, warwick said from 3 alevels and 1 as but leeds didnt specify
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads