The Student Room Group

The Barbelles Society: Ladies Who Lift

Scroll to see replies

Yeah it's a weird thing, monday evenings are the busiest of the week in most gyms.
Reply 61
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Yeah it's a weird thing, monday evenings are the busiest of the week in most gyms.

I guess its because people feel guilty about not going all weekend.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 62
Well, it pisses me right off :p:
Reply 63
Original post by Becca
Well, it pisses me right off :p:

It pisses me off when they're not doing anything particularly useful. Like I have to wait for a bench while they stand and do endless curls and give me weird looks for squatting. I don't think I've been in that gym anytime and not gotten that kind of condescending 'silly girl' look.

On a happier note: Turkey for lunch! Turkey turkey turkey turkey.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
Warning: Giant post ahead.

I thought I'd do a little show of female atheletes, not all lifters, but I wanted to highlight just how different athlete's bodies are (since it annoys me when people say 'athelete's body' as if it's all one sport). I'm also picking some of my faves and they are definetly strength and fitness inspiration.

Valerie Adams: Shotputter

Daiane Dos Santos: Gymnast

Zhang Wenxiu: Hammer Throw

Lucia Rijker: Boxer and Kick-Boxer

The 2008 US Water Polo ladies team - 3 of them, anyway

Maki Tsukada: Judo (Heavyweight)

Giulia Quintavalle: Judo (Lightweight)

Jang Mi-Ran: Weightlifter

Guo Jingjing: Diver

Mariel Zagunis: Fencer

Wang Jiao: Wrestler

Anastasia Davydova: Synchronized Swimmer

Kerri Walsh: Volleyball

I want a volleyball body. Actually, I want a rower's body :woo:
Reply 66
Original post by steffi.alexa
I want a volleyball body. Actually, I want a rower's body :woo:

I can't stop looking at Anastasia Davydova's tattoos.

Also, Daiane dos Santos is just flat-out amazing, check out her at her best here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elohkkjDAY. She may have also been in her late teens at the time, which I wasn't used to, I remember seeing her do a great routine and she was 22.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Just a little bit of info regarding this. Medium weights high reps or between the two for Clean & jerks.

C&Js have different results based on how you do them.

Heavy weights train you to become explosive and strong, handy yes, but lowering the weights, not so much that they dont pose a challenge but not heavy enough to think "more than 18 reps is too much.." will give you a brilliant fat busting, figure definign workout.

Doing 8-10 sets of 3, with a weight you can only get 3 out of will have better fat busting, figure defining effects.
The very nature of the lift prevents grinders, Weightlifting routines are a conditioning unto themselves and the high set volume explosive training is both weights and HIIT in one.
Reply 68
sorani should spank some ass.
Reply 69
Original post by sauce
sorani should spank some ass.

I smack it like a tambourine.
Original post by MattGriff
Doing 8-10 sets of 3, with a weight you can only get 3 out of will have better fat busting, figure defining effects.
The very nature of the lift prevents grinders, Weightlifting routines are a conditioning unto themselves and the high set volume explosive training is both weights and HIIT in one.

Thats why I said medium weights.

Sigh.
Reply 71

Sigh.

Dude stop posting in this thread, you're embarrasing yourself

u on dat phaggy time cuz????
Reply 72

Sigh.

You also said high reps - feel stupid? You should!
Reply 73
I am so pissed off right now.

So I'm at the gym, doing squats. I admit, I maybe don't pay attention around as me as much as I should when I'm doing it - generally because people keep a distance when they can see what I'm doing. But no, there's a guy bench pressing and his personal trainer decides to crouch right next to the squat rack, in a way that I can't see him when I'm actually squatting. Of course, I touch him with the bar, it throws me off my balance, I fall over and hurt my wrist. He kinda half-heartedly goes, "You okay?" then "you should put collars on the weights you know." Yeah, maybe I should, and maybe you shouldn't crouch down right by the f***** squat rack! Seriously, he could've at least said sorry for getting in my damn way and making me mess up my wrist.
Reply 74
Neckbeards creep me out.
Original post by Sorani

So I'm at the gym, doing squats. I admit, I maybe don't pay attention around as me as much as I should when I'm doing it - generally because people keep a distance when they can see what I'm doing. But no, there's a guy bench pressing and his personal trainer decides to crouch right next to the squat rack, in a way that I can't see him when I'm actually squatting. Of course, I touch him with the bar, it throws me off my balance, I fall over and hurt my wrist. He kinda half-heartedly goes, "You okay?" then "you should put collars on the weights you know." Yeah, maybe I should, and maybe you shouldn't crouch down right by the f***** squat rack! Seriously, he could've at least said sorry for getting in my damn way and making me mess up my wrist.

Are you ok? What a ****wit. I don't understand how not having collars would have led you to fall over.

People like that are so annoying. There's a few times where some boys come right next to me and stand around the cage, sometimes right underneath where I am trying to press. Then when i mention it, they give me that ****ing look. I also hate people who take ages to change weights to their bar when i'm pressing or deadlifting or whatever.
Reply 76
Original post by cowsforsale
Are you ok? What a ****wit. I don't understand how not having collars would have led you to fall over.

People like that are so annoying. There's a few times where some boys come right next to me and stand around the cage, sometimes right underneath where I am trying to press. Then when i mention it, they give me that ****ing look. I also hate people who take ages to change weights to their bar when i'm pressing or deadlifting or whatever.

My wrist is aching but I don't think it's going to last too long, thank god it wasn't more weight because god knows what it could've done.

It bugs me, because I'd been there a while, I'd seen him looking at me earlier when he'd first wandered on to the weights bit so he knew what I was doing - there was really no need for him to position himself where he did. He actually had a whole lot of open space on the other side of the bench.
Reply 77
Original post by Sorani

What an idiot. I never have collars on while squatting (I find it is better to practice balance). Don't know how he came to that conclusion.
Reply 78
Original post by GQ.
What an idiot. I never have collars on while squatting (I find it is better to practice balance). Don't know how he came to that conclusion.

In general it is better to use collar while squatting but it is your choice. It is not unusual to hurt yourself without collar.
Original post by Kiwiiiii
In general it is better to use collar while squatting but it is your choice. It is not unusual to hurt yourself without collar.

Don't talk ****.

Quick Reply

Latest