Please help me test my website Watch

This discussion is closed.
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hi everyone, I've been working on a website to help people get an idea of what sort of grades you need to go to which universities and things and I need to get a few more members on the site to test it out.

The site is here, where you can have a nose around and see who is already up there. If you wish to help out and sign up you can do from that page or by clicking here.

Once you are signed up go to the Your uniguide section and add information into your profile showing what subjects and grades you have and things.

Possible info you can add:
GCSEs
A-levels
UCAS choices
Personal statement
Degree information

If you have any problems, critisisms, comments or suggestions please post them here or on the comments page on my site.

Thankyou

Tom

PS I use dthe following users for testing - please PM me or post below if you wish to edit your account and i will give you the login details:

Haz
Expression
Chicken
Ollie
ickle_katy
Surfing Hamster
ZJuwelH
lou p lou
Tednol
Kelvin
rahaydenuk
tweetsy85
Icarus
mrmarsupial
mjg
Falguni
Ensocopier
Ross
onlywee
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
how do you add a profile?
loftx
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
how do you add a profile?
First create an account.

Then login at this page (or click the your uniguide button)

Then click the create a profile button under Profile related function on that page.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It looks very good. Nice use of CSS, its clean and efficient, you have been busy.

Just out of interest what made you go with ASP rather than PHP?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Just out of interest what made you go with ASP rather than PHP?
does it really matter that much?
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i do Maths Stats and Opperational Research at the University of Exeter

i think ollie does Engineering at the University of Exeter.

love Katy ***
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
does it really matter that much?
Yes as apart of some research I need to know what people think about PHP and ASP. I wasn't criticising it was just a general question, both ASP and PHP are perfectly valid.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It looks very good. Nice use of CSS, its clean and efficient, you have been busy.
Sparse use of CSS; I'd have prefered a CSS layout rather than tables...

...but never the less it does look good.

I'd suggest making the boxes on the right lighter - their darkness tends to dominate the page a bit, and the text is dark on it so not easily readable.
Oh and it doesn't validate

You create it with dreamweaver?

Alaric.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)

I'd suggest making the boxes on the right lighter - their darkness tends to dominate the page a bit, and the text is dark on it so not easily readable.

Alaric.
Do you have a link to the validator thing? Is it on the W3C site? Also do be able to display that W3C certified logo do you need pay for it?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yes as apart of some research I need to know what people think about PHP and ASP. I wasn't criticising it was just a general question, both ASP and PHP are perfectly valid.
i was asking about whether the differences between ASP and PHP matter that much.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didn't wanna feel ostracized from the rest of the group and hence signed up. lol
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
PHP owns

I don't know any ASP because I don't feel as comfortable using languages that don't have the style of syntax similar to Perl/C/C++/Java/PHP. On the whole, it's open source and therefore more favourable to me. PHP was also further developed when I first learnt it than ASP and is better running on Apache which is my httpd of choice.

So apart from being able to make it look _really_ hacky, some dubious security problems in the past and its object orientation; it's actually quite good.

Last term I finished the latest incarnation of my content management system, so that my college's student union could update their website themselves. I think that was only a couple of thousand lines this time because of the exclusive use of SQL (the previous incarnation could drop back to flat file if it wanted).

Alaric.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do you have a link to the validator thing? Is it on the W3C site? Also do be able to display that W3C certified logo do you need pay for it?
http://validator.w3.org/ for html/xhtml
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ for CSS

No you don't need to pay to display the 'Valid' logos, once you get them through the validator it says you can use them.
I think the same can be said of the accessibility one, but they don't provide a validator for that so it's more on trusting users' thouroughness.

Opera lets you validate the pages in situ... Ctrl-Alt-v on an html doc and if you load up the stylesheet and do the same it takes you to the CSS validator.

Alaric.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
PHP owns

I don't know any ASP because I don't feel as comfortable using languages that don't have the style of syntax similar to Perl/C/C++/Java/PHP. On the whole, it's open source and therefore more favourable to me. PHP was also further developed when I first learnt it than ASP and is better running on Apache which is my httpd of choice.

So apart from being able to make it look _really_ hacky, some dubious security problems in the past and its object orientation; it's actually quite good.

Last term I finished the latest incarnation of my content management system, so that my college's student union could update their website themselves. I think that was only a couple of thousand lines this time because of the exclusive use of SQL (the previous incarnation could drop back to flat file if it wanted).

Alaric.
I am learning PHP next semester and looking foward to it, I don't like the VB script syntax because it seems so unstructured and its too easy to be lazy and produce unstructured code. (i.e not declaring variables) to be C++ seems to much more logical. I've not seen much PHP code but I've heared in its structure its very similar to Java and C++.
loftx
Rep:
?
Ok, I used ASP because my mum bought a book on ASP home before she bought one one on PHP. Hence I learned ASP first and now have so much code in ASP transfering it to another language would be a nightmare.
loftx
Rep:
?

Alaric.
Yup it's done in dreamweaver - an old version though (3 i think) as I'm too poor to afford the latest. I would have liked to use a CSS layout but unfortunatly it isn't implimented too well for current browsers especially for columns.
Othello
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Do u get paid by the orgs that advertise on yor site?
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I am learning PHP next semester and looking foward to it, I don't like the VB script syntax because it seems so unstructured and its too easy to be lazy and produce unstructured code. (i.e not declaring variables) to be C++ seems to much more logical. I've not seen much PHP code but I've heared in its structure its very similar to Java and C++.
Well you still don't have to declare variables first in PHP, mainly because it's an interpreted language so it can work things out as it goes along anyway and to simplify the experience.

I think the syntax is actually closer to Perl than C++/Java, but with better object orientation (well easier to do concisely). One of the main problems is that all the functions are just there and not in an object orientated structure like Java. That said the documentation of the functions is great and easier to use than the Java APIs.
They've thrown away the '%' and '@' prefixes from Perl too, which does make things odd sometimes, but generally doesn't matter.
Variable variables still exist, though it is considered bad style to actually use them!

Although PHP provides POSIX compatible regexps you tend to be better of using the Perl compatible PCRE lib. Most webservers have that these days.

Some tips for next semester:
unset($var, $array, $etc);
Unset _all_ variables you use in the script first, this serves to prevent attacks through the fact you used to be able to easily alter the initial values of variables because of 'register globals'. That should be getting less important, but it allows you to keep track of how many variables you're using and guards against your script being used on an ancient version (or insecure version) of PHP.

On servers running PHP v4.1.0 and above only accept user input from the correct autoglobal.
such as: $_GET, $_POST, $_COOKIE, $_SERVER etc

Validate all user input, use regexps where it's complicated. Don't let the user ever post any scriptable stuff... converting symbols straight to html character codes seems the easiest way of doing that.

The PHP manual is your friend

Alaric.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Tom still doing nice work on his site .

Is PHP5 out now, or is it still 4.x.x?
loftx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Othello)
Do u get paid by the orgs that advertise on yor site?
I may get paid for the google ads = but I doubt it no ones clicking on them . My webhost is sponsoring my site by offering me extra space and bandwidth hence the ad for that.

The ads in the cool sites boxes are for sites which i had adversitising agreements with, except for UKL where the link is a thankyou for all the traffic i get from here.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1377)
79.5%
Leave (355)
20.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise