Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    It's a fantastic site but filling out my Profile is impossible it only has 4 of the 8 subjects I've taken for AS and A-Level.
    Nor does it have ANY of the Universities/Institutions I've applied to
    Ah I thought this might happen - there are 324 universities and colleges which UCAS classes as higher education institutions. Having the user select from this many choices on a webpage is a bit of a strain on both the user and the server, so i am currently limited to the 50 most well known institutions.

The others are available, and I will try to come up with a solution which lets you add lesser known institutions - give me a couple of days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Ah I thought this might happen - there are 324 universities and colleges which UCAS classes as higher education institutions. Having the user select from this many choices on a webpage is a bit of a strain on both the user and the server, so i am currently limited to the 50 most well known institutions.

The others are available, and I will try to come up with a solution which lets you add lesser known institutions - give me a couple of days.
    Salford should really be on it, with 20,000 students it is one of the biggest universities in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)

Its a very good website. I actually read your diary, I was in a similiar situation. Just missed the grades narrowily(sp), and I was going to select a course on clearing, but decided against it. Anyway its interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I might be competely stupid in asking this but what is the Uk-Learning member number???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Its a very good website. I actually read your diary, I was in a similiar situation. Just missed the grades narrowily(sp), and I was going to select a course on clearing, but decided against it. Anyway its interesting.
    I also clicked on all the adverts, so I have contributed at least 20p to your bank account. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I might be competely stupid in asking this but what is the Uk-Learning member number???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    in your case, 4173

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Salford should really be on it, with 20,000 students it is one of the biggest universities in the country.
    Yeah there do seem to be a few problems - you do computing don't you amazingtrade? Can you think of a good way of solving the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Yeah there do seem to be a few problems - you do computing don't you amazingtrade? Can you think of a good way of solving the problem?
    I think maybe having a list of the unis in a database and use a paging technique so you display all the unis on multplie pages (making it easier on the user). Then use an SQL statement to sort the insitutions out in aphabetical order.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Just as an idea I would like to be able to see who else got offers at your college at oxbridge, so maybe an option to add your college of application? If not then how about a way of contacting members? ie. PM's? That way, when loads and loads sign up, you could talk to a few people in the same position as you, ie, applied for the same course at the same place... potentiallly people you will be meeting next year anyway!

Just a thought which I hope you can take on board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dazbradbury)
    Hey,

Just as an idea I would like to be able to see who else got offers at your college at oxbridge, so maybe an option to add your college of application? If not then how about a way of contacting members? ie. PM's? That way, when loads and loads sign up, you could talk to a few people in the same position as you, ie, applied for the same course at the same place... potentiallly people you will be meeting next year anyway!

Just a thought which I hope you can take on board.
    There will definatly be someway of contacting members, I'm thinking probably some kind of write a review of your university/course or ask questions about it first.

The college thing is a good idea - I will have to see if I can get it to work.

Thanks for the ideas and to everyone else who has signed up

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    There will definatly be someway of contacting members, I'm thinking probably some kind of write a review of your university/course or ask questions about it first.

The college thing is a good idea - I will have to see if I can get it to work.

Thanks for the ideas and to everyone else who has signed up

Tom
    I was having a little browse in the profiles section and when it displays the list of names for a particular uni with the words in green (e.g. Offer made: Conditional) it has this message even when the person didn't receive an offer.

E.g. tskubala under the Cambridge section has Offer made: Conditional
    by his/her username but once you click on the actual profile, it says that the person wasn't made an offer.

Hmm, don't think I've been totally clear when explaining this but just thought I would point it out

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, well it's good to be able to help create a website, as I know it's good to have people give you ideas on how to improve.

I just read your diary, not all of it mind, but some of it. Was quite saddened to see that you didn't get the grades you wanted, and kinda worried that it might happen to me. Was impressed at how well you did in physics though, I find maths extremely easy, I prectically ace all my papers, but physics, well it's really hard. It could be that the teaching is crap and that I never learn anything at skool, but still, very well done. I nearly aced my mechanics module for physics, then I did really badly in my summer exams, so i'm gonna retake them all in the summer for my A.

Anyway, haven't read ur uni life diary, but I hope your enjoying it! Look forward to improvements in the site.

Daz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I think maybe having a list of the unis in a database and use a paging technique so you display all the unis on multplie pages (making it easier on the user). Then use an SQL statement to sort the insitutions out in aphabetical order.
    SELECT * FROM university_database WHERE 1 ORDER BY number_attending DESC, name ASC LIMIT $start_value_of_page,$number_per _page

You can guess what the variables do, so if you keep a field of the numer_attending that you increment everytime someone adds a profile for that uni then you'll always get a recovering effect that the unis with the most votes would be at the top, and then it sorts lexicographically. If you wanted each page to be more popular than the next but in lexicographical order it'd probably be best to just use:

SELECT * FROM university_database WHERE 1 ORDER BY number_attending DESC LIMIT $start_value_of_page,$number_per _page

Then use the scripting language to sort the result set.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    Loftx - your site thing seems to have entered my details in on the Cambridge bit about a thousand times! Sorry.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    I was having a little browse in the profiles section and when it displays the list of names for a particular uni with the words in green (e.g. Offer made: Conditional) it has this message even when the person didn't receive an offer.
    Cheers lucy - I know what you mean - far to much green when some of it should be red - Ill get it sorted today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Loftx - your site thing seems to have entered my details in on the Cambridge bit about a thousand times! Sorry.

Ben
    I would think that's the sites fault - not yours I'll have a poke around and see if I can see what's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I can't find the user number in the profile. It doesn't seem to be anywhere on the members page. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    I can't find the user number in the profile. It doesn't seem to be anywhere on the members page. :confused:
    Sorry maybe I didnt expain it very well - it only appears in the address bar in the broswer yours is 6395.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Sorry maybe I didnt expain it very well - it only appears in the address bar in the broswer yours is 6395.
    Oh, thanks. Get it now.

ReputationRep:
    It won't seem to accept my personal statement. Keep getting the following error message:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression ''I have always been fascinated by my mathematical studies and, having a flair for the subject, there was never any doubt that I would choose mathematics as a degree. It is a pivotal subject on which so many others depend (such as physics and chem'.

/uni/bio/editps.asp, line 70

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.