This discussion is closed.
Blush Babe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Ok...I am doing my As maths pure 1 (actually already done it), pure 2 and statistics. Now, one of my maths teachers says that you can re-take each module ONCE without repeating the whole course whilst my other maths teacher says that it had changed and you can do them as many times as you want and she says she's 100% certain. Pointing this out to my former maths teacher HE says he doesn't think so and stands by what he had said. I AM SO CONFUSED :confused: !!! Does anyone (a current A level student, a teacher, an examiner etc) know what's what?

BB
P.S. I am doing Edexcel...if this helps...
cheers
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Blush Babe)
Ok...I am doing my As maths pure 1 (actually already done it), pure 2 and statistics. Now, one of my maths teachers says that you can re-take each module ONCE without repeating the whole course whilst my other maths teacher says that it had changed and you can do them as many times as you want and she says she's 100% certain. Pointing this out to my former maths teacher HE says he doesn't think so and stands by what he had said. I AM SO CONFUSED :confused: !!! Does anyone (a current A level student, a teacher, an examiner etc) know what's what?

BB
P.S. I am doing Edexcel...if this helps...
cheers
you can now retake any module as many times as you want
G4ry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
you can now retake any module as many times as you want
Did that change this academic year? I wish i had that option open to me when i was doing Maths.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
Did that change this academic year? I wish i had that option open to me when i was doing Maths.
yes, it changed starting from the latest school year. you can re-take as many times as u want.
Blush Babe
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
yes, it changed starting from the latest school year. you can re-take as many times as u want.
This is without doing the whole course again right??
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This is without doing the whole course again right??
yep, u can retake until u r 408 years old if u want.
Blush Babe
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
yep, u can retake until u r 408 years old if u want.
WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! !!!! I AM SAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEDDDDD DD!!!!
Unis don't know how many times though, do they?
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That's quite interesting because i could re-take some maths to move my grade up. If you have your A level certificate, do you know if you can re-take any of those exams. Or are they "banked" and you can't touch them any more?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
That's quite interesting because i could re-take some maths to move my grade up. If you have your A level certificate, do you know if you can re-take any of those exams. Or are they "banked" and you can't touch them any more?
unless u cashed in the AS Level, nothing is banked as u r just following on into A2.

u cud retake P1 in the summer of ur A2 exams if u wanted to.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
unless u cashed in the AS Level, nothing is banked as u r just following on into A2.

u cud retake P1 in the summer of ur A2 exams if u wanted to.
I've finished A levels. So if i have my Maths A level certificate, can i touch any of those modules, or are they banked - meaning if i wanted to re-do maths A level i'd have to take all 6 modukes again?
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! !!!! I AM SAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEDDDDD DD!!!!
Unis don't know how many times though, do they?
I cant answer that. i know a lot of people panic and say "what if the uni's know i am retaking therefore didnt get a good grade at AS 4 that subject, nooo".

i dont really know - it depends whether ur AS Level grades are declared on the UCAS form or not. apparently it varies rom college to college - some say u put them on, others have a different system and say "No, u only put down any AS Levels u have actually cashed in - i.e.) your actual qualifications as it stands".
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by G4ry)
I've finished A levels. So if i have my Maths A level certificate, can i touch any of those modules, or are they banked - meaning if i wanted to re-do maths A level i'd have to take all 6 modukes again?
if u have your maths a-level certificate then u cant just go into a college and ask to retake modules again.

once u have the whole a-level banked, thats it. u have ur grade. (as far as i know....)
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, that's what i thought.

Earlier this year i was at college and i was supposed to be re-taking all 6 modules in January because i had re-taken some modules twice already and they said i couldn't re-take those modukes again. So i had to do all 6 modules. If i only had that knowledge about being able to re-take as many times as i like i'd have done 3 modules. Oh well, i'll have to be one of the most under-qualified people on my course then.
prince_capri
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
I cant answer that. i know a lot of people panic and say "what if the uni's know i am retaking therefore didnt get a good grade at AS 4 that subject, nooo".

i dont really know - it depends whether ur AS Level grades are declared on the UCAS form or not. apparently it varies rom college to college - some say u put them on, others have a different system and say "No, u only put down any AS Levels u have actually cashed in - i.e.) your actual qualifications as it stands".
to give u some inside info, i think that unis do have a look as to in how many sittings has the paper been completed !!!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by prince_capri)
to give u some inside info, i think that unis do have a look as to in how many sittings has the paper been completed !!!
probably yes.....
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's a guy in one of my classes who's retaking his A year because he did good at AS and not so good at A2. He declined the A2 grade, and it taking all those three modules again.
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by prince_capri)
They don't. When they get your A-level results (on the Sunday before all of the students get them), they only get grades, and not even specific module results.

J.
Blush Babe
Rep:
?
(Original post by hornblower)
They don't. When they get your A-level results (on the Sunday before all of the students get them), they only get grades, and not even specific module results.

J.
If that's true then I'm the happiest person on earth...but how about the last module you do? I know that in maths I can retake the last ones in year 13 but can I retake the last modules of other subjects the summer after I finnish year 13?
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is this exclusive to Edexcel? Or is it applicable to all exam boards?
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To my knowledge.....you can retake all of the modules as many times as you want...as everyone else has said....but the thing is you can only keep the last 2 marks for each module that you obtained....

so...if for example the 1st time...you get 82, and the second and third times you only get 75 and 72....then you have to choose your module mark from either 72 OR 75....you've lost the 82 you got the first time round....

so it's only worth retaking the module a third time or more if you are pretty certain that you'll beat the mark you got the first time.

G
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads