The Student Room Group

Mountbatten Institute, NYC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nvn1993
Hi everyone,

I'm very interested in doing the Mountbatten NYC, but I have read some pretty bad things about it on the forums. My biggest concern is the type of job I will be doing, because many people have said they had to do tedious, repetitive tasks that didn't teach them any new skills or progress their careers at all.
So I wanted to ask those who have done the programme, what kind of Finance roles were available on application? Were their any analyst positions (like the one mentioned on their website) at all?
Thank you very much for your time!

I have 10 years work experience and they basically emailed me back saying people with my experience would be bored on the types of roles offered as they are entry level positions and people with my background or level of experience would want more responsibility and this isn't what's offered so for me would be a step back and only the fact I've worked abroad would help in progressing my career so I decided not to do the programme as it was rather expensive if I'm not going to get anything out of it (i mean career wise).

I hope that gives you a little insight.
Thank you very much for replying!

I'm at the start of my career, so I think I'll be able to benefit from anything that is finance related. However, since it's an expensive programme, it would take me probably 2-3 years to earn the money, so I thought that by that time, an analyst position will be perfect for some career progression. The positions listed on their website sound impressive, but given the number of people I've seen complaining about doing only simple administrative tasks, I am reluctant to believe they really offer such good roles.
So if anyone has done the programme and remembers the positions in Finance,I would be forever grateful if you can share!

Thank you!!!
Reply 342
Hi ! I have applied for the August 2017 London programme in PGC .. has anyone else applied ?
Reply 343
Hi guys! I am also considering to apply for this program for March or August intake 2018. Does anyone know if it's a big competition there? As I read from other people that they basically accept everyone into a program (if all required documents are sent to them). What do you think, guys? Is there anyone who was refused? Also, I am not native English speaker (I am from Ukraine) and I wonder if anyone provided them IELTS or relevant certificate to prove the language knowledge or they just rate it at interview? Thank you all in advance!
Hello, hope you still on this sites. I'm considering to apply for New York program but got a little bit worried about the cost. May I ask what is your total cost for this ? Thanks xx
Reply 345
Original post by Mingg0999
Hello, hope you still on this sites. I'm considering to apply for New York program but got a little bit worried about the cost. May I ask what is your total cost for this ? Thanks xx

Hi there! The cost depends on what study option you will choose... I am going for PGcert so the total cost will be 13 000$. MA and MBA are more expensive, but I have MA already, and for me the internship itself is more interesting than the study. In my case I will need to pay for visa about 350 $ additionally and of course the flight to London.. (I am going to apply for London program). Also they advise to have around 1500$ on arrival so you can support yourself during the first few weeks :smile:
Reply 346
Hi! I have applied for the August 2017 programme .. can anyone tell me how long doe it take to get an interview with the host company ? I haven't got yet and it's around 5 weeks fr the programme to start ..
Thankyou :smile:
Reply 347
Original post by C.Oli
Hi all, I applied for Law which I'm really keen to do in NYC as it'll be great experience for when I'm a solicitor back home in the UK or maybe even assist me if I try for the NY Bar in future!
Really really keen to do it this year, got an email after submission to say interviews will be starting 18th April, does anyone know how long after this is the latest you'd know if you were accepted?
Does anyone have any experiences of the role in legal departments/firms on the programme? Is it similar to a paralegal role here, dealing with court documents/hearings/conveyancing or more administrative?

Hii! Even I have applied fr 2017 August programme in law. Can you tell me where was your placement ?
Original post by Vidhi08
Hi! I have applied for the August 2017 programme .. can anyone tell me how long doe it take to get an interview with the host company ? I haven't got yet and it's around 5 weeks fr the programme to start ..

Hi, I applied for the August 2017 programme too. but its in London. How about you?
I applied for the Finance position. I interviewed with a company 5th July, but haven't heard anything back. How about you? Be nice to share some experience together!!
Reply 349
Original post by Joe Zhou
Hi, I applied for the August 2017 programme too. but its in London. How about you?
I applied for the Finance position. I interviewed with a company 5th July, but haven't heard anything back. How about you? Be nice to share some experience together!!

hiii .. even I have applied fr the london programme only ..
I have applied for a position in law but my interview hasn't taken place yet .. I don't know when my interview will be .. very nervous 🙈
Original post by Vidhi08
hiii .. even I have applied fr the london programme only ..
I have applied for a position in law but my interview hasn't taken place yet .. I don't know when my interview will be .. very nervous 🙈

Yes indeed, it is a waiting game... but I think for law position you will be fine. As there is a strong demand for law professionals after Brexit. Let's just wait.... do you know any other candidates applying for the London programme? Can I add your personal contact so that we can communicate better?
Will send you a personal msg later.
Enjoy the Sunday!!
Anyone applying for the New York March 2018 programme?? What sort of things are you sticking on the personal statement?
Reply 352
Hi guys,

Do you know on what stage do they require to send the transcripts and diploma? Is it only after acceptance or upon submitting the application?
Do all the people return back from the US or is there a chance to get a full time job in the US after the certificate?
What are the chances of a getting a full time job in the US after completing the certificate?
When they say it's a global programme is it from applicants from across the world or does it typically consist of english speaking countries with multinational backgrounds? Trying to gage the competition level
Anybody here interviewing for the March 2018 intake?

Maninder
Original post by ManinderBasi
Anybody here interviewing for the March 2018 intake?

Maninder

Yeah I am. Interview on the 9th in London. Yourself?
Reply 358
Will it be the interview for London intake or NY?
Original post by apollo321
Yeah I am. Interview on the 9th in London. Yourself?

Good luck!.. yeah my interview is on the 6th. - What did you apply for and job areas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending