top chemical engineering graduate pay Watch

This discussion is closed.
umarn
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
How much could a cambridge graduate in chemical engineering expect to earn?
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A hell of a lot. Engineers are in high demand - chemical engineers especially. Chemical engineers typically earn more than any other kind of engineer. The pay can spiral up to 6-figure amounts.

A benefit is that unlike in other fields, a postgraduate degree is not *essential* to climb the ladder and earn stackloads, although it does help a lot.

And having 'Cantab' after your name should surely help!

J.
shunooh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
howz pay for newbees out of imperial with a MEng in chem engineering?
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shunooh)
howz pay for newbees out of imperial with a MEng in chem engineering?
I imagine pretty much similar to Cambridge pay because their courses are so respected and the uni's rep is so fantastic. Plus its links w/ industry are impressive.
shunooh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
I imagine pretty much similar to Cambridge pay because their courses are so respected and the uni's rep is so fantastic. Plus its links w/ industry are impressive.
do u have a estimated figure?
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
we were told that an average grad in chem eng would earn up to £35000 very soon after leaving uni
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by umarn)
How much could a cambridge graduate in chemical engineering expect to earn?
Have you got an offer to read Chem Eng at Cambridge?

25% of Cambridge Chem Eng graduates go to work in the city so I imagine they would get payed quite a lot.

Average pay for a chartered Chem Eng is £54,000.

Highest pay for a chartered Chem Eng is £930,000.
shunooh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
we were told that an average grad in chem eng would earn up to £35000 very soon after leaving uni
average grad being someone with a MEng.....? so i guess coming from places like imperial and cam u stand to make more than 35k?
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm, i dunno, most chem eng grads are from good unis
umarn
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
Have you got an offer to read Chem Eng at Cambridge?

25% of Cambridge Chem Eng graduates go to work in the city so I imagine they would get payed quite a lot.

Average pay for a chartered Chem Eng is £54,000.

Highest pay for a chartered Chem Eng is £930,000.

£930,000!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?! Thats incredible!!! I have an offer to study natural sciences at cambridge, but i can switch to chemical engineering without a problem. Where did you find this data out from by the way? I've been searching the net for ages for chemical engineering pay
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by umarn)
£930,000!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?! Thats incredible!!! I have an offer to study natural sciences at cambridge, but i can switch to chemical engineering without a problem. Where did you find this data out from by the way? I've been searching the net for ages for chemical engineering pay
I very much doubt that's straight out of uni, that's either somebodies own company or they're a highly decorated CEO.
shunooh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by onearmedscissor)
I very much doubt that's straight out of uni, that's either somebodies own company or they're a highly decorated CEO.
he was referring to a chartered engineer......not someone straight out of uni....
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
he was referring to a chartered engineer......not someone straight out of uni....
You can apply for chartered engineer more or less straight out of Cambridge University, maybe you have to work around 6 months first to be eligable. My point stands.
shunooh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You can apply for chartered engineer more or less straight out of Cambridge University, maybe you have to work around 6 months first to be eligable. My point stands.
o rite...i thoguht there was likea minimum of 5 years of work experience required to apply for one.....imperial almost as good as cam for chem eng?
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
o rite...i thoguht there was likea minimum of 5 years of work experience required to apply for one.....imperial almost as good as cam for chem eng?
IC is the best according to out of date assessments, they're the only one to have 5*.

In terms of other out of date teaching assessments, Cambridge/Oxford/IC/Umist/Bath are all in the same league.

I'd prefer IC personally though, not sure about you matouwah!
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Teaching assesments are marked out of 24 or given an excellent/acceptable grade. 5* is a research assessment grade and is from 2001 and far from out of date, and both Birmingham and UCL achieved a 5* for chem eng as well as Imp: http://www.hero.ac.uk/rae/rae_dynami...yuoa/uoa27.htm.
They are out of date though, and yes I wasn't very thorough with the info... but this isn't a very thorough post where people are going to select their degree on after pay.
shunooh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
IC is the best according to out of date assessments, they're the only one to have 5*.

In terms of other out of date teaching assessments, Cambridge/Oxford/IC/Umist/Bath are all in the same league.

I'd prefer IC personally though, not sure about you matouwah!
well imperial is the only place i applied for chem engineering...so if i wanna do it...i guess its my only option....offer is sure to be either first choice or insurance as it was only BBB (probably an indication that no one wants to do chemical engineering anymore.....i've heard its the hardest engineering course to do)
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well imperial is the only place i applied for chem engineering...so if i wanna do it...i guess its my only option....offer is sure to be either first choice or insurance as it was only BBB (probably an indication that no one wants to do chemical engineering anymore.....i've heard its the hardest engineering course to do)
I thought Aeronautical Engineering was? Not that it matters, what matters more is that it's a highly employable degree and teaches you a vast array of skills. The fact that you have a low offer compared to IC's standards is great. Can you kick it?
shunooh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Can you kick it?
like a chess player.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
like a chess player.
Are you and g brother by the way? or just lovers?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (389)
67.3%
No (189)
32.7%

Watched Threads