The Student Room Group

Are pear shaped figures more attractive than hourglass shaped ones?

I know beauty is subjective and all that, but I always thought that generally, men prefered the hourglass body shape.

However, 60% of British women are pear shaped, and only 8% are hourglass (I'm really shocked), and I read something interesting, although it's not from a scientific source so I don't know how valid it is. Someone said that the pear shape is more attractive, as for 60% of women to be that shape (as shape is genetic), in cavemen times, that shape must have been the most appealing to men, so they had more children, who carried the pear shape on.

At first I thought that was rubbish, but when you think about it, it sort of makes sense. But then men also go crazy over boobs, something most pearshaped girls lack, so :dontknow:

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .Ali.
I know beauty is subjective and all that, but I always thought that generally, men prefered the hourglass body shape.

However, 60% of British women are pear shaped, and only 8% are hourglass (I'm really shocked), and I read something interesting, although it's not from a scientific source so I don't know how valid it is. Someone said that the pear shape is more attractive, as for 60% of women to be that shape (as shape is genetic), in cavemen times, that shape must have been the most appealing to men, so they had more children, who carried the pear shape on.

At first I thought that was rubbish, but when you think about it, it sort of makes sense. But then men also go crazy over boobs, something most pearshaped girls lack, so :dontknow:

What do you think?

wouldnt it be relevant to provide pics of yourself at this stage? :colone:
Reply 2
Personally, I find the hourglass shape much more attractive. I really don't find women with big hips as appealing. Of course beauty is completely subjective anyway, sure science can be applied, but it's still almost completely based on personal preference.
Reply 3
I suppose you could say that an hourglass figure is socially more desired in comparison to a pear shaped figure (i.e. pin-up/burlesque) and it has been for quite some time through history (use of corsets in the Tudor/Victorian era to create the hourglass shape)

However, you wouldn't get an actual definitive answer on here as everybody finds different things attractive.
Reply 4
I think pictures are necessary of hourglass and pear shaped women. Otherwise, this thread is a huge fail.
Nope.
Reply 6
Original post by lukas1051
Personally, I find the hourglass shape much more attractive. I really don't find women with big hips as appealing. Of course beauty is completely subjective anyway, sure science can be applied, but it's still almost completely based on personal preference.

Yes, I agree with that. :smile:

I was just wondering if there was any scientific base in what was said.
Reply 7
Original post by .Ali.
Yes, I agree with that. :smile:

I was just wondering if there was any scientific base in what was said.

From a scientific perspective, you say that cavemen must have found pear shaped women more attractive for there to be a large percentage of pear shaped women in the population, however maybe pear shaped women have just always been more common. I doubt cavemen were too picky to be honest.

It may be why men tend to find the hourglass shape more attractive as these women stand out amongst the relatively common pear shaped people.
This thread is useless without pics.
Reply 9

Pear shaped:

Hourglass shaped:

As a pear shape I'll say yes :wink:

Generally hourglasses are thought more attractive though.
Reply 11
Original post by Colour Me Pretty

I'm sorry but we will need to see some evidence of that :wink2:
Reply 12
I'm becoming more of a pear shape. Damn my ass and thighs!! :frown:
Whatever the one is that has nice legs, bum and boobs
I was thinking that there aren't too many hourglass celebs about.
Beyonce is always up there for the 'curvy' women, and I noticed that she's more of a pear than hour, likewise with Shakira, Alicia Keys...Etc.
I think the hourglass shape trumps the pear, because sometimes just having hips with a tiny chest distorts some women's shapes.
Original post by Colour Me Pretty

Pear shapes are attractive though,

However theres pear shaped and then theres pear shaped. when you have a size 22 waist and a size 16 top that is NOT attractive on a woman
Reply 16
Original post by doodle7
I'm becoming more of a pear shape. Damn my ass and thighs!! :frown:

I'd rather **** dem than damn them tbf :ahee:
Reply 17
They are both attractive. A great figure is a great figure, if a woman has a great figure, it doesn't matter if she is hour glass or pear shaped.
Original post by Kwasiasem
I'm sorry but we will need to see some evidence of that :wink2:

Nice try!
Reply 19
I can't really see much of a difference. The difference is obvious when you're looking at those diagrams, but when it comes to photos of real people they don't look significantly different to me.

Latest