Bills for 6 bedroom, 7 person house?

Watch this thread
tyrannosaurusrhi
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I don't know if this is the right forum, but basically I'm trying to find out the average electricity and gas bills for a 6 bedroom student house? We have all the usual white goods excluding a tumble dryer, electric oven/hob, laptops/pcs, tvs in our rooms etc. We intend to keep the heating off until icicles are forming on our faces but one obnoxious housemate has an electric heater :rolleyes: Our water is heated by electricity (I think!) Any help would be massively appreciated!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
Basically, since there are 6 of you, it should cost you next to nothing.

Electricity: 60
Gas: 40
Water: 50
Food: 100

Living alone that is what it would likely cost you, given that there are six of you and water is fixed, you can probably half that each and then add broadband and tv licence. You will be looking at paying about £150 each.
modgepodge
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Not sure if the figures above are monthly or quarterly or what? S/he's right though, as there are so many of you it will be cheaper. My partner and I pay £25 electricity and £35 gas monthly, for a 1 bedroom flat. We have the heating on whenever it goes below 19degrees. So we're paying £30 per month each, you should be paying less I reckon.

I don't get this keeping the heating off till it's bloody freezing, my housemates always used to do it and it drove me up the wall. We had mould growing everywhere, getting out of bed was miserable, I was just persistently cold. It's worth a few extra pounds a month to have it on just for a few hours. And no, I'm not some rich kid, I was skint through uni too, I just can't bear being cold!
Beska
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Why don't you use a thermostat which only turns the heating on when it goes below 19 degrees? It's stupid to just turn your heating off and only turn it on when you're freezing. It's not economical at all.

It's akin to only recharging a phone when it is on 0%, but not when it is on 80%, but instead you wait for it to go down to 0%. It's stupid. A little burst here and there to ensure the temperature stays above 19~ (or whatever is comfortable) is a good idea, as modgepodge said.
Rakas21
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by modgepodge)
Not sure if the figures above are monthly or quarterly or what? S/he's right though, as there are so many of you it will be cheaper. My partner and I pay £25 electricity and £35 gas monthly, for a 1 bedroom flat. We have the heating on whenever it goes below 19degrees. So we're paying £30 per month each, you should be paying less I reckon.

I don't get this keeping the heating off till it's bloody freezing, my housemates always used to do it and it drove me up the wall. We had mould growing everywhere, getting out of bed was miserable, I was just persistently cold. It's worth a few extra pounds a month to have it on just for a few hours. And no, I'm not some rich kid, I was skint through uni too, I just can't bear being cold!
The figures above were monthly and i am a he.

If you an your flatmates do decide to leave the heating off you should pay next to nothing in gas given that most modern showers, ovens and washers now only use electricity, if you do use gas instead of electricity for anything other than heating, your electricity bill will go down in comparison to what i stated.
knowlton
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
i would say about £50-60 per person if you're sensible.
tyrannosaurusrhi
Rep:
Sorry - forgot to reply (stupid Uni work) but thanks guys! We've all paid our TV licence and broadband for the year in a one-off payment in Sept so we don't need to worry about that. Also, we're only not using the heating because it's SO HOT in our house! We live in the middle of a terrace with brand new, very good insulation so it's really warm all the time, so when it's freezing outside it'll probably be a tiny bit chilly in here

Also, are these estimates per month? All I need is gas and electric so am I safe to assume around £20 pppm?
Rakas21
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tyrannosaurusrhi)
Sorry - forgot to reply (stupid Uni work) but thanks guys! We've all paid our TV licence and broadband for the year in a one-off payment in Sept so we don't need to worry about that. Also, we're only not using the heating because it's SO HOT in our house! We live in the middle of a terrace with brand new, very good insulation so it's really warm all the time, so when it's freezing outside it'll probably be a tiny bit chilly in here

Also, are these estimates per month? All I need is gas and electric so am I safe to assume around £20 pppm?
£20 sounds too low for the whole month, i would say £50 per person per month will cover the gas and electricity.
mxcs
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
My first lot of bills (6 bedroom house, 6 people, bills all equally split):

Water: £5 for 2 months
Gas & Electricity: £23 for the first quarter
Internet: £7.50
tyrannosaurusrhi
Rep:
(Original post by mxcs)
My first lot of bills (6 bedroom house, 6 people, bills all equally split):

Water: £5 for 2 months
Gas & Electricity: £23 for the first quarter
Internet: £7.50
Did you have your heating on? And did you take the p!ss a bit with your electric (forgetting to turn the odd light off every so often etc?) That's what we're like, good for the most part but with some silly exceptions like leaving laptops on when we don't need them on... I'd love to have your bill amount but I don't think I'll be getting that for some reason!
mxcs
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tyrannosaurusrhi)
Did you have your heating on? And did you take the p!ss a bit with your electric (forgetting to turn the odd light off every so often etc?) That's what we're like, good for the most part but with some silly exceptions like leaving laptops on when we don't need them on... I'd love to have your bill amount but I don't think I'll be getting that for some reason!
It's definitely one of the positives of living with five other people

Since the heating was switched on the week after the meter was read and the others refuse to turn it off because they're 'cold' (I was melting so much I had to have the heater in my room manually turned off by the landlord - we don't have thermostats to adjust the heat level), I dread to think what it'll be next time!

The girl in the room opposite mine leaves her lights and printer on ALL the time which is pretty annoying, plus other people are always coming over and cooking/watching tv/showering without asking one of us if it's okay, though I suppose stuff like that has to be put up with when you're house-sharing.
tyrannosaurusrhi
Rep:
Oh dear, fingers crossed for your next bills! I'm dreading ours... heating's on a couple of hours a day during the week but off at weekends now, somehow I don't think it'll make a huge difference!
Argh yeah I'm fine with it if someone needs just a shower or whatever but when they're like 'I'm gonna have a shower then is it okay if we put some music on while I cook, cause I've brought food over' it takes the piss! Might start going to their houses and burning their money, lol.
theronkinator
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Our 5 bedroom house was £50 gas/elec in sept, water is £180 from sept to august (no meter!). Gas/elec will prbos go up as flat mate has heating on loads cos she's always cold.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads