The Student Room Group

Getting a Private Smear Test

So basically I want to get a Cervical Smear test done privately, Im 23 (live in England) so dont qualify for one on the NHS as you have to be 25.

I searched the internet but the only places that i found that do it are in Leeds and Bristol but thats no good to me living in Derby.

Does anyone know how I can get one done and where they are offered privately without GP referal in the East Midlands?

I'd prefer to pay less than £100

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Why do you want one privately? It's so much more hassle than it's worth, surely...
Reply 2
How can it be more hassle than its worth, when it can detect illnesses such as cancer? (I know this is rare for someone so young, but maybe the op wants it done as she believes she is in a higher risk category).
Reply 3
Are you having symptoms that make u think u need a smear test? Maybe you should speak to ur gp.

My friend got a smear when she was 18 cos she was having probs, tho in scotland u get offered smears from age 20
Reply 4
If you have symptoms or are high risk you should talk to your GP and get it done on the NHS. They will do it if there's good cause.

Also, there is a reason that they don't generally do them for under 25s. Because we're still "developing" under that age the tests can pick up "abnormal" cells which are actually nothing to worry about. This can lead to your undergoing treatment unnecessarily.

I don't think it's a good idea to pursue this privately.
Oh I see, I misunderstood. I didn't realise you had to be 25, that's insane. :colonhash:

Talk to your GP first? (unless you have already) I would've thought if you feel like you have symptoms or something you'd be able to be referred :s-smilie:
Original post by Blueflare
If you have symptoms or are high risk you should talk to your GP and get it done on the NHS. They will do it if there's good cause.

Also, there is a reason that they don't generally do them for under 25s. Because we're still "developing" under that age the tests can pick up "abnormal" cells which are actually nothing to worry about. This can lead to your undergoing treatment unnecessarily.

I don't think it's a good idea to pursue this privately.

I met 3 girls at a CC meeting I went to recently who were refused smears until they were 25 (despite one having abdominal pain and bleeding after sex), and their cancers weren't picked up on until it was invasive. Can you imagine having your cervix removed or a radical hysterectomy at 25? Knowing what I know about CC and how you get it, putting a blanket age of 25 out for everybody is ludicrous.

You're only offered treatment if your abnormailities progress to CIN 2/ 3 (the final stage of Pre-cancer), when it's very unlikey to regress and is more likely to progress to invasive. I don't call this "unneccessary" by any stretch. They don't treat you if you're likely to return to normal without intervention. It's an area the goverment is trying to save money under the guise of, "Oh, it's for the best anyway".

It isn't. I have CC at 26, I was too late for the vaccine obviously, but there's a band of women who both missed the jab and are now having to wait until they're 25 to be checked. If you start sexual activity at say, 16 (let's face it, it's often younger), that's a potential 9 years it has in your body to fester.. Yet in your adult life the NHS thinks you need to be checked every 3 years. 3 years is plenty of time for HPV to progress to CC (I'm living proof!) Therefore in the states women are called every year. It's not good enough.

I would very strongly advise anyone in their 20s to get checked, privately if neccessary. It really is devistating and it can happen to anyone, caught early you have every chance of a complete recovery with minimal fertility impairment. Absolutey go private OP!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Well basically Ive been having period type pains and a bit of bleeding (not on period). I would go to the doctors and ask but Ive heard of people having worse symptoms than me and still getting refused cos they are under 25 thats why i'd rather just pay and get it done privately soon.
Reply 8
Original post by little_red_sox
I met 3 girls at a CC meeting I went to recently who were refused smears until they were 25 (despite one having abdominal pain and bleeding after sex), and their cancers weren't picked up on until it was invasive. Can you imagine having your cervix removed or a radical hysterectomy at 25? Knowing what I know about CC and how you get it, putting a blanket age of 25 out for everybody is ludicrous.

You're only offered treatment if your abnormailities progress to CIN 2/ 3 (the final stage of Pre-cancer), when it's very unlikey to regress and is more likely to progress to invasive. I don't call this "unneccessary" by any stretch. They don't treat you if you're likely to return to normal without intervention. It's an area the goverment is trying to save money under the guise of, "Oh, it's for the best anyway".

It isn't. I have CC at 26, I was too late for the vaccine obviously, but there's a band of women who both missed the jab and are now having to wait until they're 25 to be checked. If you start sexual activity at say, 16 (let's face it, it's often younger), that's a potential 9 years it has in your body to fester.. Yet in your adult life the NHS thinks you need to be checked every 3 years. 3 years is plenty of time for HPV to progress to CC (I'm living proof!) Therefore in the states women are called every year. It's not good enough.

I would very strongly advise anyone in their 20s to get checked, privately if neccessary. It really is devistating and it can happen to anyone, caught early you have every chance of a complete recovery with minimal fertility impairment. Absolutey go private OP!!

I agree, especially with people having sex earlier these days I think they should offer smear tests from an earlier age like a few years after becoming sexually active. I think if you are concerned and want one or have symptoms no matter how small, the NHS should provide one.

Ive just heard of a girl aged 22 dying from terminal CC and its really worried me. I know its probably fine but I'd rather put my mind at ease.
Reply 9
Like it says in the other smear test thread, just keep on at your GP if you think you have unusual symptoms. Someone there was initially refused but kept on until they gave it to her, you should do the same.
Original post by misscharli
Well basically Ive been having period type pains and a bit of bleeding (not on period). I would go to the doctors and ask but Ive heard of people having worse symptoms than me and still getting refused cos they are under 25 thats why i'd rather just pay and get it done privately soon.

Personally, I'd bug the doctor, A LOT - specifically tell them you are worried about cervical cancer. Most of the time the GP will feel obliged to give you the test 'just in case'.

There are many other things it could be (infection, inflammation, polycystic ovaries) that your GP can test you for. No point spending money on a smear without ruling out these other (more common) conditions first.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
marie stopes £50 :smile:
Original post by thatsnumberwang
Privately will probably cost around £200-£300

£200ish for the consultation plus £50-100 for the test and lab fees.

Personally, I'd bug the doctor, A LOT - specifically tell them you are worried about cervical cancer. Most of the time the GP will feel obliged to give you the test 'just in case'.

There are many other things it could be (infection, inflammation, polycystic ovaries) that your GP can test you for. No point spending £300 for a smear without ruling out these other (more common) conditions first.

Nonsense. You don't need a consultation for a smear and I've never heard of anyone being charged more than £70.
Original post by little_red_sox
Nonsense. You don't need a consultation for a smear and I've never heard of anyone being charged more than £70.

sorry, didn't realise there were private clinics that offer walk-in tests with a Dr without having to go to a private hospital ... yeah that might be a lot cheaper.
Reply 14
Ive come across Marie Stopes and whilst £50 is very good they only have clinics in Leeds, London or Bristol which are to far away for me.

The only place Ive found in my region is in Leicester for £150 so think I may have to go there.

Was hoping to find somewhere for less than that but google isnt coming up with anywhere.

Anyone know places near Derby/Nottingham for less than £100?
Maybe it's only in Scotland but I thought you got them done after 20? :s-smilie: I'm 24 and I've had 2 done already - without having to ask for them! Did your doctor refuse you one?
Original post by pink_flower
Are you having symptoms that make u think u need a smear test? Maybe you should speak to ur gp.

My friend got a smear when she was 18 cos she was having probs, tho in scotland u get offered smears from age 20

Ah OK, didn't read that post before I posted my confusion!
I got one done at the age of 18.

I just went to my local GUM clinic and said "I have occasional cervical pain during sex and it causing me a great deal of anxiety. I would feel a LOT better if I could have a smear to put my mind at rest"

And she did it for me no fuss made.

If it is causing you massive anxiety they will do it on the NHS before the age of 25:smile:

I think its ridiculous for it not to be available until the age of 25 as routine. Women have died younger than 25 of cervical cancer.

Gl op on getting one done :smile:
Original post by secret_smile
I think its ridiculous for it not to be available until the age of 25 as routine. Women have died younger than 25 of cervical cancer.

There is a reason why the nhs routinely offer smears to those aged 25 plus. The chances of 'normal' abnormal changes in cells being seen below this age due to puberty can lead to treatment that isn't needed and may cause more damage to the cervix in the long run.

If a woman/girl does however have abdo pain, bleeding after sex, between periods, then the nhs do carry them out, and may need reminding occasionally. Normally the private smears are looked at by the same people as the nhs routine work, but get screened faster.

op- ask your gp for a private smear, most private samples we receive are from gp's.

Women do suffer from cervical cancer under 25, however it is very rare, and given how broke the nhs is normally, its not cost effective.

(credentials being i work in a cytology and nhscsp website)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Have you actually asked your doctor for one? Or are you just assuming that you wont get one? I would just tell them about the problems you've been having, just because other people have been refused doesnt mean you will.

I had one when I was 18 because of problems with heavy bleeding/pain after sex and they just did it there and then, no hassle whatsoever.

Quick Reply

Latest