This discussion is closed.
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Where is this hallowed cambridge fudge shop..which seems to be so famous with people on this site (and dont say "in cambridge".. i want to know whereabouts) .. and what other unique or interesting shops are there there? (apologies for the appalling grammar)
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
Where is this hallowed cambridge fudge shop..which seems to be so famous with people on this site (and dont say "in cambridge".. i want to know whereabouts) .. and what other unique or interesting shops are there there? (apologies for the appalling grammar)

It's called the Fudge Kitchen and it's on King's Parade opposite King's College entrance. There's often a bloke standing outside shouting about free fudge, so it isn't usually easy to miss! Other shops... well, I don't get that much time to browse but I do love Borders a lot, big and commercial though it is. And if you're into music there is a beautiful little sheet music shop in Green Street called Brian Jordan: downstairs they have loads of sheet music that's relatively new and you have to hunt for stuff, which is fun. Upstairs is the best though - it's full of old music, second hand and things, and you can find some amazing things... What else? Fopp the CD shop is good, that's on Sidney Street and very cheap. Um. And the market is pretty good. There are loads more - I'll add them as I think of them!
covered farm wagon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh, god, the fudge shop. i may have started this, because it was my absolute favourite thing about cambridge, even more than the ducks in emmanuel. they give you free samples! there's quite a pretty man who makes the fudge! you get a massive piece too but it's quite expensive. and they always give you free samples so you get to try lots of them, and it's really nice..... do they have any shops in other towns i wonder? i cannot sing it's praises enough. it's so delicious..... go there go there go there
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In addition to the Fudge Kitchen and Fopp I'd also say Galloway and Porter - cheap books on sidney street, and for a egg mayo baguette, croissant and cheap coffee go to Trockel, Ulman und Freunde on Pembroke street!
And for a kebab or pizza or a chip butty with houmous don't forget gardies on rose crescent.

Can't think of anywhere else legendary

Alaric.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by covered farm wa)
oh, god, the fudge shop. i may have started this, because it was my absolute favourite thing about cambridge, even more than the ducks in emmanuel. they give you free samples! there's quite a pretty man who makes the fudge! you get a massive piece too but it's quite expensive. and they always give you free samples so you get to try lots of them, and it's really nice..... do they have any shops in other towns i wonder? i cannot sing it's praises enough. it's so delicious..... go there go there go there
i searched online, (because i am that sad) apparently ' in Bath, Cambridge, Canterbury, Edinburgh, Windsor and York', hmm must have seen the bath one i guess, faaar too yummy!
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The fudge shop is awesome. I believe the full name is something like "Jim Garey's Fudge Kitchen." But the G looks like a C on the sign and so my mates thought it was Jim Carey's Fudge Kitchen. We took great delight in the fact that you could go in and watch them pack your fudge.

IIRC its just opposite the front of King's college. I remember me and a mate did the David Brent dance outside kings at 10.30 on a Saturday night but thats irrelevant!

Another comedy place to visit in Cambridge is the Barren of Beef - Cambridge's #1 pub
TK0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i found that place disturbing, couldnt believe theres a guy who spends his whole life poncing about squishing fudge into a lump.
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TK0)
i found that place disturbing, couldnt believe theres a guy who spends his whole life poncing about squishing fudge into a lump.
Your just jealous - Jim is the fudgemeister
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
Another comedy place to visit in Cambridge is the Barren of Beef - Cambridge's #1 pub

Ah yes. I went there about halfway through the pub crawl in Freshers' Week. I think it was good.

More shops, msut think of more shops!! Yes, Alaric is right Galloway and Porter is a fantastic little bookshop - it sells slightly damaged books so you can get textbooks for massively cheap prices. Plus it's another little old-fashioned bookshop so you have to hunt for the books, adding excitement to an otherwise boring shopping trip. It's also on Sidney Street, pretty much next door to Sidney Sussex College. (They're all near my college! Funny that.)

Oh, and Joy is a great one for slightly wacky presents! It's just on the corner of Petty Cury/Sidney Street, almost opposite to Christ's, and it sells all sorts of retro clothing and really random things. I love it It's quite expensive though.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
The fudge shop is awesome. I believe the full name is something like "Jim Garey's Fudge Kitchen." But the G looks like a C on the sign and so my mates thought it was Jim Carey's Fudge Kitchen. We took great delight in the fact that you could go in and watch them pack your fudge.

IIRC its just opposite the front of King's college. I remember me and a mate did the David Brent dance outside kings at 10.30 on a Saturday night but thats irrelevant!

Baron of beef my arse.
The granta is much nicer, slightly cheaper and has a nice outdoorsy bit for the summer
And its next to the indihouse - best curries in cambridge
J
covered farm wagon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
i searched online, (because i am that sad) apparently ' in Bath, Cambridge, Canterbury, Edinburgh, Windsor and York', hmm must have seen the bath one i guess, faaar too yummy!
wow, i live near bath, next time i go shopping there i will have to visit!
TK0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
Your just jealous - Jim is the fudgemeister
a fudgepacker indeed
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TK0)
a fudgepacker indeed
I knew you were jealous - just cos you don't have what it takes to be a professional fudgepacker. :rolleyes:

(Original post by foolfarian)
Baron of beef my arse.
The granta is much nicer, slightly cheaper and has a nice outdoorsy bit for the summer
J
The Baron of Beef is a well crap pub, but its worth it for the name , I mean the pubs here in Cumbria are better than the Baron.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TK0)
a fudgepacker indeed
Pah - joke all you like, that place is my Mecca! My friends and I had to stop going for a while because the staff were starting to recognise us too often :eek:

Another shop I like is the Music shop (can't remember its name, but it's fairly huge) on the little street behind Sidney Sussex. I love it there, even if I can't afford to buy any of their music
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Pah - joke all you like, that place is my Mecca! My friends and I had to stop going for a while because the staff were starting to recognise us too often :eek:

Another shop I like is the Music shop (can't remember its name, but it's fairly huge) on the little street behind Sidney Sussex. I love it there, even if I can't afford to buy any of their music

Miller's?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Miller's?
That's the one! My brain is slightly addled - I've only just got back up to Cambridge, I've been out of bed longer today than I have for two weeks and I'm still not 100% well. That's my excuse, anyway.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
That's the one! My brain is slightly addled - I've only just got back up to Cambridge, I've been out of bed longer today than I have for two weeks and I'm still not 100% well. That's my excuse, anyway.

Bless you, hope you feel better soon... otherwise the people in the Fudge Shop might start to miss you from the sound of it
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Baron of beef my arse.
J
Granta is very nice, the Eagle and the Anchor can be when not full of tourists too. At least the tourists don't seem to have the nous to find the back bar in the Eagle
I have been known to go to the may pole a bit too, cocktail pitchers can be lethal!!

Indiahouse beats my local (1min away) the Maharaja but I thought the Gandhi down near downing was much nicer. Some of my friends have been to a hallowed place further away on the wrong side of Parker's piece but I haven't had the pleasure of wherever that is yet...

Maharaja seems better for take away than eat in though.

Alaric.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
I knew you were jealous - just cos you don't have what it takes to be a professional fudgepacker. :rolleyes:

The Baron of Beef is a well crap pub, but its worth it for the name , I mean the pubs here in Cumbria are better than the Baron.
You do realise that fudgepacking is a term used to describe (amongst other things) trying to stick a flaccid nob up someone's ********. Another term is 'stuffing the turkey'
J
lucerna
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
So expensive though, that fudge kitchen I do admire the employees though..when I went one time they were singing to people to come in and try some. It was to die for, the fudge though...managed to spend £11 at once one time.

I remember liking the little cafe that was one that street...copper kettle or something...or maybe just that it was so cheap in comparison to london (not hard) Hehe
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (446)
59.07%
Yes- I don't like it (42)