This discussion is closed.
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
G&D's ice cream shop in Oxford is amaaaaaazing. Everyone should go there at least once in their life :cool:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
TK0
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
You do realise that fudgepacking is a term used to describe (amongst other things) trying to stick a flaccid nob up someone's ********. Another term is 'stuffing the turkey'
J
if one must be blunt
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
You do realise that fudgepacking is a term used to describe (amongst other things) trying to stick a flaccid nob up someone's ********. Another term is 'stuffing the turkey'
J
Yes and thank you for your vivid description.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lucerna)
I remember liking the little cafe that was one that street...copper kettle or something...or maybe just that it was so cheap in comparison to london (not hard) Hehe
Copper Kettle is alright, seems a bit dingy - the staff at Trockel, Ulman and Freunde are much friendlier!
The coffee is a little nicer in the Copper Kettle too - but no egg mayo sandwiches!!!

Can anyone tell me if the sandwich seller guy is still outside the Chemistry lecture theatre 1 - Domenic's sandwiches were the nicest and cheapest in cambridge!!

Alaric.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Copper Kettle is alright, seems a bit dingy - the staff at Trockel, Ulman and Freunde are much friendlier!
The coffee is a little nicer in the Copper Kettle too - but no egg mayo sandwiches!!!

Can anyone tell me if the sandwich seller guy is still outside the Chemistry lecture theatre 1 - Domenic's sandwiches were the nicest and cheapest in cambridge!!

Alaric.

There's still a sandwich seller there - don't know if it's the same one! But his sandwiches are definitely good - especially tomato basil and mozzarella, mmm...
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
There's still a sandwich seller there - don't know if it's the same one! But his sandwiches are definitely good - especially tomato basil and mozzarella, mmm...
Is it just the one guy with silvery hair and his table and sandwich storer?
Look at the label on the sandwiches next time!

His food used to get me through 9am maths lectures

Alaric.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Alaric.

Alaric - I checked the sandwiches this morning and you'll be pleased to know that it's still the same guy
lucerna
Report 16 years ago

Alaric.
I remember him, he was there in July when I came up for an open day, the sandwiches were indeed very nice. I think he liked me when I told him he'd given me £10 extra change by accident (good deed for the day that was...) Maybe it gave me luck for the interview
doodlebeetle
Report 16 years ago
i always thought the fudge shop was just a front for some dodgy going ons.

does anyone actually ever buy anything from the fudge kitchen?? Does it really make any money?

I once got 3 proper sized pieces from there in a nice gift box for a RAG raffle. It was just a little bit *too* easy to get though...
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Alaric - I checked the sandwiches this morning and you'll be pleased to know that it's still the same guy
That's so cool, I wish he'd move up to West Cambridge, the sandwiches in the william gates building are pretentious and expensive. Not that I'd want to deny you quality sandwiches of course

Oh and doodlebeetle - of course they make a profit - they charge enough!!! Silly tourists must buy it!

Alaric
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't know about him, but we have the newly christened "Van of Resurrection" that appears outside the Babbage lecture theatre just in time for us to buy stuff between our morning practicals and our 12 o'clock lectures That's run by a lady though, but it does yummy sandwiches and baguettes, as well as chocolate bars and brownies and things We love that place almost as much as the fudge shop - and doodlebeetle, yes, I have bought fudge there.
lucerna
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Don't know about him, but we have the newly christened "Van of Resurrection" that appears outside the Babbage lecture theatre just in time for us to buy stuff between our morning practicals and our 12 o'clock lectures That's run by a lady though, but it does yummy sandwiches and baguettes, as well as chocolate bars and brownies and things We love that place almost as much as the fudge shop - and doodlebeetle, yes, I have bought fudge there.
I could swear I read that it was the van of death..then the van of life or something...does the name really change, or is it something that Cam people just call it? lol
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I could swear I read that it was the van of death..then the van of life or something...does the name really change, or is it something that Cam people just call it? lol

Nah, this would be a different one. The Vans of Life and Death are in the market square. The Van of Life has 'trailer of life' on the side. The Van of Death... doesn't.
lucerna
Report 16 years ago
Nah, this would be a different one. The Vans of Life and Death are in the market square. The Van of Life has 'trailer of life' on the side. The Van of Death... doesn't.
Really? I shall have to eat at all of them sometime just to be able to say "I've eaten from the van of..."

Hehe
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Really? I shall have to eat at all of them sometime just to be able to say "I've eaten from the van of..."

Hehe

I would suggest you don't end that sentence with 'Death'. Although I know one guy who swears by it and won't eat anywhere else... but he's a bit weird
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Clare is or certainly used to be (my college family told me) of the opinion that confusingly the one that is marked trailer of life was called the van of death beforehand and they put the name on to not be called it any more. So I always get confused as to which is which as every other college goes the standard way around.
Damn clarites thinking they know better than everyone else :rolleyes:...

The one at the gardies end of market square always seems more hygenic and does chips with cheese which is just brilliant after cindies in the snow... especially when you get to antagonise policemen too. I blame the alcohol, I'm not normally that cheeky, honest.

Helenia, never been to that mini-van thing but it does always seem to have a queue... if I had time to eat I would always go to Trockel instead. Mmmm egg mayo, croissant and coffee... it was worked out that in one term I spent about £60 in there
At least it isn't starbucks, I'd be bankrupt if I went to starbucks!

Alaric.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, the Van of Resurrection is just our own name for it (my little posse of medic friends, nobody else calls it that). It's because we get really tired and hungry in dissection just before lunch (maybe there's something in the preserving fluid that triggers your appetite or something!) and then have a lecture to get through, and our trip to the van resurrects us enough to get through our final lecture.

The vans of Life and Death are on opposite sides of Market Square and serve greasy burgers etc.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
No, the Van of Resurrection is just our own name for it (my little posse of medic friends, nobody else calls it that). It's because we get really tired and hungry in dissection just before lunch (maybe there's something in the preserving fluid that triggers your appetite or something!) and then have a lecture to get through, and our trip to the van resurrects us enough to get through our final lecture.

The vans of Life and Death are on opposite sides of Market Square and serve greasy burgers etc.
Helenia, I wanted to ask you if you have animal experimentation in your course (assuming that the preclin at cam is similar to that at ox)? I'm just asking because during my interview my tutor mentioned something about it and being half-confused from all the prodding I just nodded my head and agreed that I would be ok with it all. I'm just worried that I'm going to get there and be suddenly exposed to cartloads of horrific experiments :eek:
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
Helenia, I wanted to ask you if you have animal experimentation in your course (assuming that the preclin at cam is similar to that at ox)? I'm just asking because during my interview my tutor mentioned something about it and being half-confused from all the prodding I just nodded my head and agreed that I would be ok with it all. I'm just worried that I'm going to get there and be suddenly exposed to cartloads of horrific experiments :eek:
Have PM'd you with the answers.
lucerna
Report 16 years ago
I would suggest you don't end that sentence with 'Death'. Although I know one guy who swears by it and won't eat anywhere else... but he's a bit weird
Or...drunk? I have still never submitted to the sin of eating a seemingly nice kebab when very drunk and it seemed like a good idea. I shall keep that in mind about the van of death though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (443)
59.07%
Yes- I don't like it (41)