This discussion is closed.
lucerna
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
No, the Van of Resurrection is just our own name for it (my little posse of medic friends, nobody else calls it that). It's because we get really tired and hungry in dissection just before lunch (maybe there's something in the preserving fluid that triggers your appetite or something!) and then have a lecture to get through, and our trip to the van resurrects us enough to get through our final lecture.

The vans of Life and Death are on opposite sides of Market Square and serve greasy burgers etc.
Van of resurrection..preserving fluid...mental images *shudders*

Maybe making one's own sandwiches is the way to go :P Ok..kidding, i think...
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Have PM'd you with the answers.
Thanks, it was very helpful (will rep you when I get a chance ). I think after the first couple of times I'll be alright with it all, it will just take a bit of time to get used to it
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lucerna)
Van of resurrection..preserving fluid...mental images *shudders*
*shrugs*

I'm a med student, you can get used to anything. Just making the point that it's not actually the act of human dissection itself that makes us hungry - we're not that gross!

Lucy - you do get used to it after a while, and not all the Physiology practicals are animal stuff. Just find an understanding partner to do your work for you, and it's fine!
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
mmmmm - free fudge and you get to see it being made - free freshly made fudge! Food in The Eagle is yummy too!
MadLy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*shrugs*

I'm a med student, you can get used to anything. Just making the point that it's not actually the act of human dissection itself that makes us hungry - we're not that gross!

Lucy - you do get used to it after a while, and not all the Physiology practicals are animal stuff. Just find an understanding partner to do your work for you, and it's fine!

Hmm yeah.......they get you to experiment on your partner as well!! :eek: But its nothing that bad!!

Anyone find the guy in the instruction videos just cracks you up!!!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadLy)
Hmm yeah.......they get you to experiment on your partner as well!! :eek: But its nothing that bad!!

Anyone find the guy in the instruction videos just cracks you up!!!
God yes, he's fantastic! We just did the asphyxiation one, the two guys I work with and I were cracking up at it!

I think lying on the floor having my blood pressure taken will be one of the most memorable moments of my first term, as well I hate that moody demonstrator woman though :mad:
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I liked the video for the blood pressure experiment: "If you increase the pressure enough that blood can no longer leave the arm through the veins, but it's low enough that blood can still enter through the artery, this will cause extreme pain. You might like to try this on your partner."
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hehe, yep, the blood pressure one was good as well! Unfortunately I was the guinea pig, and the boys weren't particularly good at it, so I spent most of the session with no blood in my arm. We've got to do cycling next week - think the old glandular fever might make me too tired to do that one :rolleyes:
MadLy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
God yes, he's fantastic! We just did the asphyxiation one, the two guys I work with and I were cracking up at it!

I think lying on the floor having my blood pressure taken will be one of the most memorable moments of my first term, as well I hate that moody demonstrator woman though :mad:

Umm yeah, asphyxiation.......I think I came out with a "bit" of a headache in that one!! But then we did have a leak .....which meant I had to keep repeating the experiments!!!

On the subject of demonstrators........nothing can compare to the slightly crazyee scary Histology bunch!!

Hehe, yep, the blood pressure one was good as well! Unfortunately I was the guinea pig, and the boys weren't particularly good at it, so I spent most of the session with no blood in my arm. We've got to do cycling next week - think the old glandular fever might make me too tired to do that one
Ooo, theres some nasty cold/flu viruses floating around.......but Im hopeful that I can keep it to 1 a winter!!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadLy)
Umm yeah, asphyxiation.......I think I came out with a "bit" of a headache in that one!! But then we did have a leak .....which meant I had to keep repeating the experiments!!!

On the subject of demonstrators........nothing can compare to the slightly crazyee scary Histology bunch!!
Lol, I let the boys do that one, I was in charge of pressing the space bar on Epic Unfortunately one of them had a crashing hangover, and so kept forgetting to switch the tap back when he was told to!

Hmmm, the Histology demonstrators are slightly scary, especially the one with the enormous Santa beard! The twins in anatomy are the bestest though (you must know who the twins are!)
MadLy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol, I let the boys do that one, I was in charge of pressing the space bar on Epic Unfortunately one of them had a crashing hangover, and so kept forgetting to switch the tap back when he was told to!

Hmmm, the Histology demonstrators are slightly scary, especially the one with the enormous Santa beard! The twins in anatomy are the bestest though (you must know who the twins are!)
Yeah, the tap settings were a bit confusing......but maybe it was cos the only thing I could remember reading in the book was the picture with the skull and cross bones on it......and "DANGER".......dotted around it! :rolleyes:

O NO......"the twins"... :rolleyes: .......medic girls mention them and go into some dreamlike trance, at which point... I leave!! :rolleyes:
Um, they just dont occupy a special...or indeed any slot in my mind!!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadLy)
O NO......"the twins"... :rolleyes: .......medic girls mention them and go into some dreamlike trance, at which point... I leave!! :rolleyes:
Um, they just dont occupy a special...or indeed any slot in my mind!!
Heh heh, but they're worth it! The general standard of talent among the medic boys isn't great, so we have to look somewhere! Anyway, the boys in my group flirt horrendously with the female demonstrators, not to mention the Canadian girl in Histology!
MadLy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Heh heh, but they're worth it! The general standard of talent among the medic boys isn't great, so we have to look somewhere! Anyway, the boys in my group flirt horrendously with the female demonstrators, not to mention the Canadian girl in Histology!
:rolleyes: I feel I should defend the male medics......but then I realise that I dont care about their talent (or lack of).!! The medic girls however , arent 'that' bad a bunch.....the odd ray of light shining down through the forest... But its Cambridge remember......wat do ya expect! :cool:
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadLy)
The medic girls however , arent 'that' bad a bunch.....the odd ray of light shining down through the forest... But its Cambridge remember......wat do ya expect! :cool:
That would not be me then! :rolleyes: Probably one of my friends, who seems to have picked up a couple of stalkers :eek: along the way. I might be being a little harsh on the boys, there are some quite nice ones (although my friends and I can't agree on which ones!) but none beat the twins

I know, the standard seems to be generally lower in Cambridge, but that works for me :rolleyes:
MadLy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That would not be me then! :rolleyes: Probably one of my friends, who seems to have picked up a couple of stalkers :eek: along the way. I might be being a little harsh on the boys, there are some quite nice ones (although my friends and I can't agree on which ones!) but none beat the twins

I know, the standard seems to be generally lower in Cambridge, but that works for me :rolleyes:
Awww, no need to put urself down so much!! Why a coupla stalkers.....they work in pairs now or something :confused: ! J/ks
I heard of another girl who thought she had one as well.......Must be some of the random locals!! :rolleyes:

I did actually met a couple of clare medics once.....a long long time ago...(ie last term). A blonde girl with a ponytail/hair-ina-bun and an indian girl?? Also, Think you guys did a formal hall here?? Tho I dont remember any medics from there!!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadLy)
Why a coupla stalkers.....they work in pairs now or something :confused: ! J/ks
I heard of another girl who thought she had one as well.......Must be some of the random locals!! :rolleyes:
No, these guys are medics - one of them found out her name and searched for her on the e-mail database! My other friend did have a rather enthusiastic guy from APU who kept texting her, but he's stopped now.

Yeah, I came to formal at Trinity Hall, but stupidly all the Clare lot sat together, and all the Tit Hall lot sat together, so we didn't actually meet anyone new :rolleyes: My attempt at getting through all the college formals is not off to a good start...only done 3 so far, including Clare
MadLy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I came to formal at Trinity Hall, but stupidly all the Clare lot sat together, and all the Tit Hall lot sat together, so we didn't actually meet anyone new :rolleyes: My attempt at getting through all the college formals is not off to a good start...only done 3 so far, including Clare
Heh, that musta been why I didnt remember anyone! :rolleyes: We havent managed to get many formals done either.....though we do have one at Johns on Sunday!!! Still, if its formals ya want, join the rowing....novices last term was wkd! Or alternatively, join a random drinking society .....the girls one here have been out loads, including one with the Blues football team :rolleyes:
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I came to formal at Trinity Hall, but stupidly all the Clare lot sat together, and all the Tit Hall lot sat together, so we didn't actually meet anyone new :rolleyes:
Foolish, very foolish!

My attempt at getting through all the college formals is not off to a good start...only done 3 so far, including Clare
Bleh, I've been here a year longer than you and I've only done Clare, Jesus, Caius, Downing, Queens and Trinity.
I haven't even done Churchill, Johns or Tit Hall... and people I went to school with are there!

Alaric.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadLy)
Heh, that musta been why I didnt remember anyone! :rolleyes: We havent managed to get many formals done either.....though we do have one at Johns on Sunday!!! Still, if its formals ya want, join the rowing....novices last term was wkd! Or alternatively, join a random drinking society .....the girls one here have been out loads, including one with the Blues football team :rolleyes:
Yes, I've heard about the carnage that is boatie formals. I have no desire to join in that! Apparently Clare does have a girls' drinking society, but it's almost entirely 2nd/3rd years, so there's not much incentive. Our dissection table is really disorganised though, we haven't done any formals yet, and we really should! I've done Tit Hall, Clare and Trinity, we're having Downing round soon, so we'll go there eventually, and hopefully Peterhouse very soon as well. Dissection table ones, when we get them sorted, will also do Churchill and King's (do King's have formals?) and then it's going to get harder...
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
King's (do King's have formals?)
Infrequently I think, and I believe they aren't really formal.
I think one of my friends went off to one last Saturday.

Alaric.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (446)
59.07%
Yes- I don't like it (42)