This discussion is closed.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Infrequently I think, and I believe they aren't really formal.
I think one of my friends went off to one last Saturday.

Alaric.
Oh. Interesting. Oh well, just got an invite to Jesus from the girl I do Brownies with, so that's another one potentially down!
Minta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do you have to be invited by a member of a college in order to go to formal hall there, or can you go on your own account?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ummm. It would be weird to just go without being invited by someone, but I don't know about rules. Also harder to get tickets - the way we mostly do it is people at the host college buy two tickets each (i.e. one for them and one for a guest) and the guests bring wine, then we are expected to return the favour at a later date. I don't know if you can buy formal tickets from other colleges yourself (and guest tickets are more expensive anyway).

No doubt J will know more than I do :rolleyes:
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Ummm. It would be weird to just go without being invited by someone, but I don't know about rules. Also harder to get tickets - the way we mostly do it is people at the host college buy two tickets each (i.e. one for them and one for a guest) and the guests bring wine, then we are expected to return the favour at a later date. I don't know if you can buy formal tickets from other colleges yourself (and guest tickets are more expensive anyway).

No doubt J will know more than I do :rolleyes:
I am informed that as Clare students we should be able to eat at Girton if we wished, especially Wolfson court. Never tested it but it sounds reasonable because Clare does have links with Girton (they're in some kind of supervision consortium for a start).

Having said that, if you're very odd, you can go places without a host...
One of my friends persuaded someone he knew at Trinity to buy us tickets, but he didn't want to go so lent him a gown and we went with someone impersonating a Trinity student. Was a little concerning, but it was made all the more funny by the people next to us at formal being convinced that he was in their year and at Trinity. They were nice people we met though, although worryingly we were the only people in formal there drinking alcohol. Exam term obviously worries people .

Having a proper host is much more fun though, even if the random people you meet is one of the most important bits .

Alaric.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (444)
59.04%
Yes- I don't like it (42)