The Student Room Group

The Pill related: Can I stop the withdrawal bleeding?!

Hey all,

I started going on the pill early this month on day 1 of my period (1st of October).

Now I'm on the placebo week (week 3) and I'm bleeding as though I'm on my period. (5 days after my last pill - 21 out of 21)

Since I'm new to all of this I have a few questions:

1. Will I have a withdrawal bleed like a period, then an actual period for like 2 weeks every month? (IT BLOODY HURTS!)

2. Or is this my period come early?

2. If I start taking my pills again during the withdrawal bleed i.e. now will the bleeding subside in a few days?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I wasn't expecting my period until early next month. This sucks, I'm seeing my boyfriend on Thursday-Weekend and the getting's gonna be good lol :wink: Why oh why am I bleeding NOW of all times?! Sod's law :frown:
Reply 1
Oh hun, you should really read the instructions, or have asked your doctor LOL.

Every pill has a 4 week (28 day) cycle, you take the pill for 21 days then have 7 days of not taking it when you will have a withdrawal bleed, which is the equivalent of a period. You then start taking the pill again on the 7th day for the next 21 days, after which you will have another withdrawal bleed (period) you only get one every 28 days, which lasts for about 4/5 days.

If you start taking the actual pill earlier, your period will end but I wouldnt really do that because it could mess up your cycle. Also if you are on your 7 day break from the pill I think its less likely to be as effective so if you and your boyfriend want to do the business then mayb use extra protection.
Reply 2
Forgot to say with mine you can run two packs together so you take the first 21 and start taking the second pack as normal the next day so that you dont have a period for 2 months. Mayb check with your gp first though mine says I can take up to 3 months consecutively, good if youre going on holiday or something.
Reply 3
Read the instructions :P The pill has changed your natural cycle so you can forget about what your 'normal' period used to be; the withdrawal bleed is your period now!

21 days on pill, 7 day break when withdrawal bleed (period) comes, then you start again the next week. Don't start taking it earlier; you started on 1st oct (Fri) so you start the next pack on the 29th Oct (always Friday).

If you want you can start the next pack straight away to miss the withdrawal bleed but it's too late for that now this month.

Anyway, since it's near the end of the placebo week you should stop bleeding soon (hopefully).

Original post by cupcake-k
If you start taking the actual pill earlier, your period will end but I wouldnt really do that because it could mess up your cycle. Also if you are on your 7 day break from the pill I think its less likely to be as effective so if you and your boyfriend want to do the business then mayb use extra protection.

The pill equally is as effective anywhere in the cycle, whether it is the pill free week or not.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
You should just take your pills as normal according to the instructions, the times of the bleeding should settle down into a regular pattern.
Reply 5
FML

On my bloody anniversary I'm on my period.

I hate this cruel world :angry:
Original post by Anonymous
FML

you can take packs back to back to skip periods ... (i.e. instead of going on a pill-free break just begin taking the next strip of tablets).

you really need to read the instructions :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
FML

Do it anyway?

And read the instructions; if you had you should know about how the withdrawal bleed works (ie replacing your period) and the fact you can skip bleeds if you want.
Reply 8

Forgot to say with mine you can run two packs together so you take the first 21 and start taking the second pack as normal the next day so that you dont have a period for 2 months. Mayb check with your gp first though mine says I can take up to 3 months consecutively, good if youre going on holiday or something.

Just wondering if you take 2 packs back to back will that then change your pill free week, and bring it forward one week then normal? would like to know as i have just started my second pack straight away due to going on holiday and i know its safe i just dont know whether my next pill free week is going to be earlier than normal :smile: thanks
Reply 9
Original post by thatsnumberwang

Original post by thatsnumberwang
you can take packs back to back to skip periods ... (i.e. instead of going on a pill-free break just begin taking the next strip of tablets).

you really need to read the instructions :tongue:

Will your next pill free week be earlier than normal therfore your cycle changes? thanks :smile:
Original post by muppet92
Just wondering if you take 2 packs back to back will that then change your pill free week, and bring it forward one week then normal? would like to know as i have just started my second pack straight away due to going on holiday and i know its safe i just dont know whether my next pill free week is going to be earlier than normal :smile: thanks

Your "period" which is a withdrawal bleed will come in the 7 day period after you hve finished your second pack. Your period should only come within this 7 day boundary, then you begin taking your next packet on the 7th day
Original post by muppet92

I once did this to avoid a withdrawal bleed. Will never do it again. It didn't stop the bleeding. Instead, I would bleed for two weeks each month:frown: It was BAD! I then went back to the doctor to get another pill and I had to try two other kinds before I was regular again.
I;'m sure some people can put them together no problem, but just beware that it may not work so great.
Omg I'm staying with my boyfriend on Saturday and this withdrawal bleed has come it's extremely painful
Reply 13
If I go on 7 day break and don’t start taking pill again when will next period be ?
11 days of withdrawal bleed and this is really a pisstake! I'm having bit of blood then it's on and off spotting since sunday gone .....I really would love to know what it is and how long it lasts! I'm going to doctors about this as I've never had it like this before

Quick Reply

Latest