This discussion is closed.
peter_101
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
hi new here
i need help with an inspector calls
i have to do an essay on the dramatic importance of the inspector and i dont no much about it
i need someone to post an A grade essay of it
this book sucks balls
tanx
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by peter_101)
hi new here
i have to do an essay on the dramatic importance of the inspector and i dont no much about it
this book sucks balls
tanx
just think about what the inspector does - he's not really an inspector or so it seems later on - but he goes right into the heart of the people at the dinner party, and makes them realise their weaknesses and selfishness, and of the dire consequences that their actions can cause.

consider also the period that this was written in - just before the First World War. JB Priestly was writing to warn people of the dangers of self confidence and selfishness - see the reference to the unsinkable Titanic - there is a lot of irony present, which is highlighted when the inspector arrives, and exposes the flaws of the upper class - those who are supposed to govern and lead the country.
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hi new here
this book sucks balls
tanx
it's well boring. go see the play in the playhouse theatre, it makes it a bit easier to understand. i'll try and look for one of my old essays on it (i think the title was similar)
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
just think about what the inspector does - he's not really an inspector or so it seems later on - but he goes right into the heart of the people at the dinner party, and makes them realise their weaknesses and selfishness, and of the dire consequences that their actions can cause.

consider also the period that this was written in - just before the First World War. JB Priestly was writing to warn people of the dangers of self confidence and selfishness - see the reference to the unsinkable Titanic - there is a lot of irony present, which is highlighted when the inspector arrives, and exposes the flaws of the upper class - those who are supposed to govern and lead the country.
oh yeh that's it, dramatic irony, there's quite a lot of that present in the play
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As long as you're not planning to rip off someone else's work- google is your friend. Just do a search, you'll get a lot of results and will doubtless find something to give you some ideas.

On this site there has already been many threads by people struggling with various topics surrounding the play- maybe have a look (though they might not be great)-

http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=11895
http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=8971
http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=14289
http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=21108
http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=10351
Kish
Report 16 years ago
uhh excuse me 'post an A grade essay' so you dont have to do it yourself. You dont deserve to get an A more like a G grade.

Just try you're best, no one can complain.
It's amazing what people ask about on these boards.
I bet it's for coursework aswell. Plain lazyness.

No one do ****. Just trying to take advantage, that person is.

sorry to sound so harsh but you deserve it .
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Consider Goole's paranormal presence. There are certain references to it throughout the scene he's involved with.

The paranormal theme is emphasised by the fact that he's called 'Goole'. Obviously, phonetically speaking this is very similar to 'ghoul', "One who delights in the revolting, morbid, or loathsome" (i.e. playing the role of informant concerning Eva Smith's death).

Perhaps Goole could be considered an esoteric manifestation of the entire Birling familys' conscience, reminding them of the anonymous Eva Smiths of the world, or in a modern context, John Doe, who are afflicted by their rise to wealth.

I waffled on about this for a couple of pages, along with a few other things and it served me well.
Niaya
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the dramatic irony is that the play was set in 1912 but was actually written after the first world war. try reading this http://apm.brookes.ac.uk/publishing/...e/duhaney.html it should help
peter_101
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
tanx people
this has been alot of help
now i will stop being lazy and do some work for my self
these comments have been alot of help to me
we studied this book in class but i was so board by it
one more thought, the inspector could have just been a smart ho bo off the street that stalks the birling family and their friends. i think he just wanted to mess with their heads beacuse he is poor and they are rich, and the phone call at the end could have been the inspector messing with them even more.
ha this is what too much school does to me!
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
tanx people
this has been alot of help
now i will stop being lazy and do some work for my self
these comments have been alot of help to me
we studied this book in class but i was so board by it
one more thought, the inspector could have just been a smart ho bo off the street that stalks the birling family and their friends. i think he just wanted to mess with their heads beacuse he is poor and they are rich, and the phone call at the end could have been the inspector messing with them even more.
ha this is what too much school does to me!
I think there is a slightly more significant subtext. However, back up what you say with quotes and you can't go wrong.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hi new here
this book sucks balls
tanx
In retrospect I actually enjoyed this book.

I can highly recommend getting hold of a copy of the York Notes guide to this play - these books are excellent study aids. Also worth a mention are the Letts guides, but I have no personal experience of these, and York Notes seem to be more popular.

Remember that essays are about your personal views and thoughts on the subject title, written in your own words. All the best anyway .

J.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
talk about the culture of the time...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.07%
No (189)
32.93%

Watched Threads