How long will it take me to read Paradise Lost: Watch

im so academic
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm going to stay up tonight and try to read John Milton's Paradise Lost from scratch.

How long will it take me?
Kalliope
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is scary. I moved it to the top of my reading list this morning.
However, I think reading it in one night is a bit extreme! You'll get tired and forget it - surely it's better just to read it more normally and keep it in your head. And I think it will probably be impossible. Want to see what everyone else thinks so, so I can see how long roughly I would be spending?....
andyyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At least ten hours since the audiobook has ten hours. To understand any of it, you'll most probably need to read it out loud or at least out loud in your head. Milton's not something you can speed-read. I don't know why anybody would want to read Paradise Lost in one go. I read it in two weeks and a bit and I didn't feel like I was wasting too much time on the book, on the contrary.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by andyyy)
At least ten hours since the audiobook has ten hours. To understand any of it, you'll most probably need to read it out loud or at least out loud in your head. Milton's not something you can speed-read. I don't know why anybody would want to read Paradise Lost in one go. I read it in two weeks and a bit and I didn't feel like I was wasting too much time on the book, on the contrary.
Yep, I'm downloading it so I don't read too fast which is what I always do.

Reading books in one day does not go well from my experience, so I guess reading Paradise Lost in one night would be a bad idea.

Thanks.

It's just I have so many books I want to read, but not enough time. :sad:
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What andyyy wrote. Personally, I would read a book a day and take it at a nice pace rather than trying to cram it in one entire day.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why bother?

Books IX and X are the juice. The rest is superfluous.
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
Books IX and X are the juice. The rest is superfluous.
Questionable.
ConnorRaddison
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Read it all. Read it slowly. Read it a hundred times and there will always be something there to challenge and intrigue you.

It really is something you should take time over, especially if you are studying English. It's probably the most important poem ever written in English. Having said that, it will probably take about two hours to read each book and you should spend an hour or so walking and thinking afterwards, it's incredibly dense.
gershonmary
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
it took me 20 minutes. i don't know why everyone is saying it took them so long
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (45)