The Student Room Group

Is it dangerous to sleep with a pillow over my head?

I don't mean over my face. I sleep on my side, and when I can't relax or I feel ill if I put a pillow over my head I feel better and sleep like that for a few hours. Am I cutting off oxygen to my brain, or is it dangerous in some other way? Sometimes I wake up feeling funny in my head, but I think that probably would have happened if I'd stayed feeling agitated or ill all night.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do that too, but I always make sure I have some sort of "direct" connection to air if you know what I mean. You shouldn't cut off your fresh oxygen, don't lie there and re-breathe everything you already breathed (lol sounds weird). Make sure you have some sort of hole so that fresh air can get to your mouth and nose, and pull your pillow over all you like :smile:

The funny feeling in your head is probably just normal, especially if you wake up from a very deep sleep.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Only if someone is holding it down.
I used to sleep like that, but i change my pillow to a comforter. So everytime i sleep i put the comforter on my face and make a hole so i can breathe.
I don't think its bad though. a lot of people do it. If it helps you relax, then why stop it?
Reply 4
Original post by kristinaalovesu
I used to sleep like that, but i change my pillow to a comforter. So everytime i sleep i put the comforter on my face and make a hole so i can breathe.
I don't think its bad though. a lot of people do it. If it helps you relax, then why stop it?

What's a comforter?
Original post by ily_em

Original post by ily_em
What's a comforter?

http://www.beldingcleaners.com/images/comforter_pic.gif
It's comfy and thick. :h:
Reply 6
Original post by ily_em
What's a comforter?

To me it sounds like somebody who sleeps by your side rubbing your back and telling you it's okay! :confused:
Reply 7
Original post by ily_em
Oh... a quilt :P

a comforter is just a quilt? :frown:

I preferred my idea haha! :cool:
Reply 8

Edit: just realised you're American. That explains it!

Edit 2: quoted wrong person :facepalm:
Reply 9
Original post by ily_em

Edit: just realised you're American. That explains it!

Edit 2: quoted wrong person :facepalm:

I'm hurt and upset you unquoted me :frown:
The monster under the bed can get through pillows now...ITS NOT SAFE
Reply 11
Original post by jimbles
I'm hurt and upset you unquoted me :frown:

Sorry :frown: Happy now? :smile: And yes I agree, your comforter sounds waaay better than the American ones :h:
Reply 12
Original post by ily_em
Sorry :frown: Happy now? :smile: And yes I agree, your comforter sounds waaay better than the American ones :h:

Yeah :biggrin:

For us guys it could be like a Megan Fox comforter...
For you girls a Channing Tatum comforter....

:biggrin:
Reply 13
Just worry if you dream that you are eating a giant marshmellow. When you wake, your pillow could be gone!
As long as your face is not covered and you can get enough oxygen, no, it's not dangerous.
No- if you were awake, you'd realise you couldn't breathe properly (surely..) and if you were asleep, you wouldn't be able to hold the pillow over your head hard enough to cause you not to be able to breathe properly.
Is it dangerous to sleep with a dildo in my mouth?
Reply 17
Original post by Cinqueta
I don't mean over my face. I sleep on my side, and when I can't relax or I feel ill if I put a pillow over my head I feel better and sleep like that for a few hours. Am I cutting off oxygen to my brain, or is it dangerous in some other way? Sometimes I wake up feeling funny in my head, but I think that probably would have happened if I'd stayed feeling agitated or ill all night.

If by pillow you mean an angry axe murderer, then yes it is quite dangerous...
Reply 19
It shouldn't do you any harm unless you can't breathe !

Quick Reply

Latest