The Student Room Group

Oxbridge - What's the big deal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by geetar
Oh, and this of course. I can't believe I forgot the all important 3rd reason.

Indeed. People surprisingly neglect to mention this fact, despite it being after all - pardon the pun - the 'big deal' with Oxbridge!

:wink:
Original post by Physics Enemy
There's a wide range of possibilities of what happens at university though, that ironically far exceed the differences between the elite universities (which we all talk about). We all love to debate the Oxbridge vs whatever else threads.

The reality is that there's a wide range of possibilities. One student can be miserable, depressed, have big personal problems and consequently end up doing poorly in the degree or dropping out mid-way altogether. Another student may have an amazing time, be really happy and involved, have a large network and study hard to earn a 1st class degree. This same thing happens at other universities too.

So what was once a bright student, the creme de la creme and someone who 'has it made', is suddenly sidelined onto the scrapheap whilst mediocre grads with 2.1's from wherever else actually have better prospects.

None of this ever seems to be discussed on forums though. I know people, personally, who are 'geniuses' with fantastic GCSE's/A-Levels/AEA & STEP/IQs who went to Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial, but just had a torrid time at uni.

And *poooof* goes the prospects.

Yes but these things are circumstantial and are entirely concerned with the individual, not the institute. There is no correlation between suffering from any of the afflictions you listed and being at Oxbridge, so they don't really bear any weight in this matter. You can be hindered by personal issues no matter where you go, you can only compare the student's experience at Oxbridge or somehwere else with all other things being equal.
I'm not foolish enough to say that anyone who goes to Oxbridge will have good prospects, just that as institues of higher education, the chasm between their level of wealth and that of the universities behind them is the primary root of all that makes them such coveted choices of university.
Reply 82
They have loads of money so you get massive busaries and awesome facilities!
“What’s the big deal?” What kind of question is that?

To list the many reasons why there is “such a big deal” with Oxbridge (please not this list is not exhaustive or exclusive to Oxbridge per se):

*Tutorial/supervision system
*Collegiate system
*Excellent academic facilities
*Excellent teaching
*High quality of research
*Generous bursary systems
*World-class reputation
*Academic excellence
*Historical prestige
*Famous alumni
*Individual attention
*High quality lecturers
*Guaranteed accommodation for the duration of your degree (typically)
*Fantastic range of academic and non-academic resources
*Diverse and international study environment
*Limitless opportunities after graduation
*Unique college and city life
*”Work hard, play hard” nature of the an Oxbridge education
Original post by 1802ibrahim
Oxford and Cambridge are the world's oldest universities and they also rank amongst the world's best universities -- by going to either of the two your life is likely to change for the better if it is God's will.
You will get more job offers, better salaries and be a part of the creme de la creme... yet that is up to God.

You will have Mercs, Louis Vuittons, Cavier .... what more reasons do you want ???

My parents have mercs and louis vuittons and neither have a degree. My dad dropped out of salford poly after two months and mum out of med school after a week, mum's sister went to Cambridge and earns about 20k a year selling weird organic plants :rolleyes:

edit: why are you negging?!?
(edited 13 years ago)
Oxford is just so bloody sexy.
Original post by tillytots
My parents have mercs and louis vuittons and neither have a degree. My dad dropped out of salford poly after two months and mum out of med school after a week, mum's sister went to Cambridge and earns about 20k a year selling weird organic plants :rolleyes:

Yep. Welcome to the real world. Right or wrong, better or worse.
Original post by AllUnits

3. Some people there will be clever. Some will be there because of their wealth, background and family tree.

I hate TSR because of people like you.

You're a moron; people don't get into Oxbridge because of their family trees any more. Like the tutors care. It's not 1920.
Original post by domino0806
Oxford is just so bloody sexy.

Hear hear......
Reply 89
Original post by im so academic
“What’s the big deal?” What kind of question is that?

To list the many reasons why there is “such a big deal” with Oxbridge (please not this list is not exhaustive or exclusive to Oxbridge per se):

*Tutorial/supervision system
*Collegiate system
*Excellent academic facilities
*Excellent teaching
*High quality of research
*Generous bursary systems
*World-class reputation
*Academic excellence
*Historical prestige
*Famous alumni
*Individual attention
*High quality lecturers
*Guaranteed accommodation for the duration of your degree (typically)
*Fantastic range of academic and non-academic resources
*Diverse and international study environment
*Limitless opportunities after graduation
*Unique college and city life
*”Work hard, play hard” nature of the an Oxbridge education

Where have to been? This thread has been up and running for the past 11 hours, I thought you would be the first person to reply to this thread.

tut tut:rolleyes:

BTW it's i'm not im. A bit surprising for someone who is 'so academic'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by 4 I Murder Carrots Fun
You're a moron; people don't get into Oxbridge because of their family trees any more. Like the tutors care. It's not 1920.

But there's no doubt that parents who have gone to Oxbridge will influence their child in such a way that he has a good chance of getting in. There are quite a few people here whose parents have also gone to oxbridge, I doubt you will get such a high proportion at any other uni.
Original post by refref
But there's no doubt that parents who have gone to Oxbridge will influence their child in such a way that he has a good chance of getting in. There are quite a few people here whose parents have also gone to oxbridge, I doubt you will get such a high proportion at any other uni.

I also heard rumours that admissions tutors secretly discriminate against stupid and lazy students. THE SCANDAL
Original post by Retrodiction
'fancy vocabulary'? If you consider my vocabulary 'fancy' then I invite you to open any novel ever written. You might be in for a shock. Also, I left the bubble when I left high school, before I started college.

Anyway. No, I'm not saying the system is perfect. I never was. But I am saying that their judgment (that's right - the judgment of seasoned academics, often world leaders in their field) is, and always will be, a greater reflection of the abilities and potential of a student than yours.

O rly? you are in denial then. because from what you say, you are evidently in one.

and what in the world does being good at a field that you are in have to do with judging the character/potential of an individual, please, enlighten me. this is a moot point and something totally irrelevant to the subject matter at hand. :facepalm:

again, :facepalm: i never said my judgement was better than theirs. EPIC FAIL. please, i have said a few times before on this thread and i quote myself, "its their job so theyd better be better than me". do you not comprehend this simple statement? needless to say, this argument is void because i am, apparently, arguing with a total retard. :facepalm:
Reply 93
Original post by AllUnits
So many issues with this answer it's unbelievable.

1. You are expected to self study at every university.

2. If you think that is the case, you are in for a real shock in the future. Psychology degree from Oxbridge is still just as useless as it is from anywhere else if you were to apply for a job in engineering.

3. Some people there will be clever. Some will be there because of their wealth, background and family tree.

I hate TSR because of people like you.

1.) I'm a home student. I'm well aware of the burden of having to self study without guidance can have. But my dear friend, he was merely telling you that you get 'more' attention and guidance because of the 2:1 tutoring system. You are expected to self study (duh), but if you have any question to ask, which one do you think you can get the best of out it? 40:1 class or 2:1 class? If you look at all the PhD achievers, they always stressed that they were 'supervised by Prof XXXX'

2.) What?! Dude, he was saying that (at least can be interpreted as) if you have a degree in BA Economics, you'll probably get jobs in that field. Although he didn't specify that directly, but use your common sense to judge! (I didn't say I agree to what OP says though)

3.) Errr okay..... Your point is severely lack of supports. Never base on your assumptions.

I like TSR because I can laugh at ignorant like you =D Also, I picked Oxford because I hope I could get away from ignorant like you :diep:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Organ
You can't 'walk into any job', I know somebody with a modern & medieval languages degree from Cambridge who is currently on jobseekers allowance and looking for work.

No offence but that most be one of the most useless degrees ever thought up :s-smilie:
Reply 95
Original post by manthew
If you look at all the PhD achievers, they always stressed that they were 'supervised by Prof XXXX'

Erm, just to clarify: All PhD-students have supervisors, regardless of where they are. It has nothing to do with Oxbridge or the tutorial system, that's just how PhD-level study works.
Original post by hobnob
Erm, just to clarify: All PhD-students have supervisors, regardless of where they are. It has nothing to do with Oxbridge or the tutorial system, that's just how PhD-level study works.

Yes, but the point he is making is that PhD students stress the identity of their supervisors; that it is relevant, or perceived by academic employers as relevant, who supervised them.
Reply 97
Original post by nulli tertius
Yes, but the point he is making is that PhD students stress the identity of their supervisors; that it is relevant, or perceived by academic employers as relevant, who supervised them.

That's because it is relevant.:s-smilie: They're the people you actually worked with. But that isn't in any way limited to people who did their PhDs at particular universities, it's a general thing.
Reply 98
Double post =x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by hobnob

Sorry for the vague explanation. didn't think anyone else was gotta read this. Haha.

In that post. I was trying to draw a conclusion that having someone to give a relatively more attention to the pupil is better, thus the pupil can achieve a higher knowledge. Then I used PhD achiever and his supervisor. I take PhD (and their successful thesis) as the highest academic achievement for example. Then I supported that the highest academic achievement will not be possible without the supervisor's personal attention However, whether it is an obligation or whether the supervisor helped the PhD student in his work is another question of another matter. Then I draw back into the Oxbridge tutoring system. Oxbridge tutoring system gives relatively higher attention to their pupils (because of the ratio) compare to other universities. Therefore, they are likely to produce a better quality of knowledge of their students compare to other universities.

Hope this clarification meets your appetite :biggrin::biggrin:

Off topic: by the way mod. I'm constantly getting error msg saying "maintenance, please wait for 10mins", however that is not true.. the website is up again when I refresh it 5 seconds later.. am I the only one getting it? Hope you can help :wink: *hence the double posts btw*
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending