Maths S1 - Number of Arrangements of a word...

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Tealer
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi I am really puzzled by this, I had though I knew nCr and nPr but now I'm not so sure.

The question - "find the number of arrangements of the letters STATISTICS"

I thought it would be 10! but this is wrong as it is way over the value they give, I can only assume it must be divided by something, but its not as if you are choosing any letters so why should this be the case? I know its something to do with overcounting. I know this is probably really easy so please take the time to explain!! Many thanks!!
Tealer
Ok I've nailed it

10!/ (3! x 3! x 2!)

waighty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tealer)
Hi I am really puzzled by this, I had though I knew nCr and nPr but now I'm not so sure.

I thought it would be 10! but this is wrong as it is way over the value they give, I can only assume it must be divided by something, but its not as if you are choosing any letters so why should this be the case? I know its something to do with overcounting. I know this is probably really easy so please take the time to explain!! Many thanks!!
The key to it is to see if any of the letters repeat themselves, e.g. in "STATISTICS" 'S' repeats 3 times, 'T' repeats 3 times and 'I' repeats 2 times, hence you divide the total number of letters (i.e. 10) by 3!x3!x2!.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Anybody got the S1 exam tomorrow?
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Anybody got the S1 exam tomorrow?

nope but i have a probability exam next week on this!

love Katy ***
Tealer
Cheers waighty mate I have the S1 tommorow!! AAAAAH!!!
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

This exact question was in a book I read. Umm.. basically you divide 10! by the number of repeats. i.e. if T is repeated 3 times, you divide by 3!...

The book is a blue one with "T1" written on it. It's really good.. that's what I felt anyway.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (252)
39.69%
Take autumn exams (189)
29.76%
Look for a job (21)
3.31%
Consider an apprenticeship (25)
3.94%
Take a year out (110)
17.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (38)
5.98%

Watched Threads