The Student Room Group

Journalism Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aky786UK
Were you not given the reasons? Definitely would be an idea to ring them up and see if you can find out, it will definitely help you. I'm assuming they take all things into account but if you did well in your tests then it would be slightly harsh not to accept due to academic reasons. How much did you pay for it?

The test itself didn't cost anything, just the train ticket and bus ticket which came up to about £30.

Aha, that is a good idea contacting them for feedback reasons, I never really thought of that. Thanks, I'll do that :yep:
Reply 61
Anybody heard about the NCTJ Distance Learning?

Besides the obvious, how does the distance learning NCTJ work? I always assumed you'd have to do them in college?
Reply 62
Hello! Thought I'd come and join this society, since I'm seriously considering a career in journalism. I'm currently studying a degree in Russian (with cultural/political modules & Polish), so I think I'd be better suited to news/international affairs than anything else...

As other people have said in this thread, there are quite a few options for aspiring journalists! I'm really not sure which one to go for - an MA, Diploma or freelance/work experience... I tried to sign up for the student newspaper at my uni last year, but meetings for all of the different departments clashed with my timetable. I've got my fingers crossed that they won't clash with my fourth year timetable, because I need all the experience I can get! Other than writing for the student newspaper, what else can I do? I'm currently writing a regular blog on my year abroad experiences, but that's it... I feel a bit helpless stuck over here in Russia!
Ah, I not sure I really want to be a journalist anymore :frown:. I got rejected from a NCTJ course and never found out why :s-smilie:, and I also did really crappy at A Level English Lit. I just don't think I'm really a good writer generally, or so cut out for this :sigh:
Reply 64
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Ah, I not sure I really want to be a journalist anymore :frown:. I got rejected from a NCTJ course and never found out why :s-smilie:, and I also did really crappy at A Level English Lit. I just don't think I'm really a good writer generally, or so cut out for this :sigh:

Oh no, that's a shame! It does seem a bit cutthroat, I'm wondering whether I'll be cut out for it either...

Can you not contact the place that rejected you and ask for a reason? Say you want to work on the weak points of your application so you can apply again. They should see your perseverance as a good thing!

Oh and if it's any consolation, I don't have an A Level in English Lit at all. Even a crappy grade is probably better than nothing.
Original post by Don John
Hi everyone,

Journalism Society

A TSR group for all student journalists, or any wanting a future career in journalism! :smile:

I myself write for the Edinburgh student newspaper, www.journal-online.co.uk.

Please join us! :cool:

Jon

how do i join?
How vital is a degree for journalism? Is it possible to make it without one?

if you go to that journalism society you'll find the importance of qualifications etc.

It was posted a few posts above.
Reply 67
Original post by bestofyou
how do i join?

Will get back to you on that one...
Original post by Yunna123
I am so joining. Aspiring journalist since 14 years old!

Doing a few work experience stints at mags, and went to Journalism Summer School, ahahaa. And I definitely want to be a foreign correspondent/war journalist. :]

Yeah, I want to get into the war journalist/photojournalist side as well.

Check out 'The Bang-Bang Club: Snap Shots from a Hidden War'

Stumbled across it a few years ago when I was in South Africa, powerfull book, can't reccommend it enough.
Original post by mimimimi
Oh no, that's a shame! It does seem a bit cutthroat, I'm wondering whether I'll be cut out for it either...

Can you not contact the place that rejected you and ask for a reason? Say you want to work on the weak points of your application so you can apply again. They should see your perseverance as a good thing!

Oh and if it's any consolation, I don't have an A Level in English Lit at all. Even a crappy grade is probably better than nothing.

I did try contacting them, but they wouldn't get back to me. And then I decided I wanted to just put it behind me and forget all about it.

Meh, I'm always constantly trying to figure out what I want to do in life, but I'm never really that sure :sigh:.

Fair enough you didn't do A Level English Lit, but then again, you don't know what you would have got anyway. I actually attempted it and know I did so bad :ashamed:.
Reply 70
Just got work experience at the economist
ahhhhh <3
Reply 71
ahhhhh <3

Whuuuut!
ahhhhh &lt;3

Well done :yy:. How'd you manage that?
Reply 73
Applied for their 2011 scheme and got an email saying I was successful, my placement is in July. So shocked but so happy :smile:!
Reply 74

Don't be disheartened :smile:

Who said anything about fancy writing?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Don John
Don't be disheartened :smile:

Yeah, you're right. I'm trying to not get too down about it, and just ponder about what I'm gonna do. I know that even many successful people suffer setbacks and failures in their time. For now I'll just keep having fun with my blog and Triond writing and see where that maybe takes me :smile:

Original post by bestofyou

Who said anything about fancy writing?

I've not known much about Kevin Carter, but thanks for the link. His story is so inspiring, yet at the same time, so sad.

I have actually been thinking about getting into photography, I just need to save up money for a good camera :yep:
Reply 77
Yeah, you're right. I'm trying to not get too down about it, and just ponder about what I'm gonna do. I know that even many successful people suffer setbacks and failures in their time. For now I'll just keep having fun with my blog and Triond writing and see where that maybe takes me :smile:

Hey, I've been fairly down in the dumps about my prospective Journalism ambitions but for some reason, read Charlie Brooker's book and enjoyed his style of writing that it got me writing on my blog again.

Also, when applying for work experience at local BBC radio stations, would you get in contact directly with them or go through the BBC's work experience section on the website?
Original post by Aky786UK
Hey, I've been fairly down in the dumps about my prospective Journalism ambitions but for some reason, read Charlie Brooker's book and enjoyed his style of writing that it got me writing on my blog again.

I'm not really into sport very much, but your blog looks nice. I like the way it's laid out in columns kinda like a newspaper :smile:

Also, when applying for work experience at local BBC radio stations, would you get in contact directly with them or go through the BBC's work experience section on the website?

I don't really know. I'd assume you'd go straight through the work experience section though. Or maybe even both if you want?
Reply 79
I'm not really into sport very much, but your blog looks nice. I like the way it's laid out in columns kinda like a newspaper :smile:

Thanks. :smile:

I was debating recently whether to axe the layout as I thought it was maybe abit too plain and not flashy compared to other blogs. But being recommended to keep the style, layout and alter the font so will do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending