The Student Room Group

How to get an A in A-level Chemistry (inc. Questions)

I am studying as a private candidate and I want to resit 4 chemistry modules in May/June. I got a C in A-level Chemistry and I want to boost my grade up to a solid A. I want to put my all into Chemistry this time. However, I need advice in how I go about studying again.

I worry that I might forget the information by may/june so when is the appropiate time for me to study?
How should be studying in order for me to obtain an A grade? (Textbook first then revision guide then past papers??)
How vital are past papers? Should I be using them throughout my study period or near exam time?

If I don't get into any foundation medicine programmes this year (they require the grades I already have) I want to study Biochemistry at Leeds.

Thanks.

BTW if i've made any spelling/grammar mistakes soz lol. It's late and my eyes are frazzled.
Just read the text book, read it again, read it again. About a month from the exam do all the past papers, do them again, do them again. You should get an A if you do that.
Reply 2
Original post by T-Toe
I am studying as a private candidate and I want to resit 4 chemistry modules in May/June. I got a C in A-level Chemistry and I want to boost my grade up to a solid A. I want to put my all into Chemistry this time. However, I need advice in how I go about studying again.

I worry that I might forget the information by may/june so when is the appropiate time for me to study?
How should be studying in order for me to obtain an A grade? (Textbook first then revision guide then past papers??)
How vital are past papers? Should I be using them throughout my study period or near exam time?

If I don't get into any foundation medicine programmes this year (they require the grades I already have) I want to study Biochemistry at Leeds.

Thanks.

BTW if i've made any spelling/grammar mistakes soz lol. It's late and my eyes are frazzled.

Go over your notes which you might have made last year to refresh your memory, and then do loads of exam questions.

Which specification are you doing? if OCR buy this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Chemistry-Student-Book-CD-ROM/dp/0435691988/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1288400983&sr=8-3

I found it really helpful and it's got loads of exam questions and examiner's tips.
Reply 3
Original post by lonely14
Go over your notes which you might have made last year to refresh your memory, and then do loads of exam questions.

Which specification are you doing? if OCR buy this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Chemistry-Student-Book-CD-ROM/dp/0435691988/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1288400983&sr=8-3

I found it really helpful and it's got loads of exam questions and examiner's tips.

Go over my school books? Ermm I have a few here there :/ Don't you think going over the text book is better?

I'm doing AQA
Reply 4
Original post by Sternumator
Just read the text book, read it again, read it again. About a month from the exam do all the past papers, do them again, do them again. You should get an A if you do that.

Did you get an A in Chemistry? :smile:

What about the revision guides and other sources?
Reply 5
Original post by T-Toe
Go over my school books? Ermm I have a few here there :/ Don't you think going over the text book is better?

I'm doing AQA

Just go with what you feel right.

If you are going to study medicine, sometimes it's good to use your own initiative, instead of asking a bunch of random people on TSR.

You should know what works best for you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lonely14
Just go with what you feel right.

If you are going to study medicine, sometimes it's good to use your own initiative, instead of asking a bunch of random people on TSR.

You should know what works best for you.

Yeah I know...I ask TSR-ians because alot of them have an A grade in Chemistry.
Original post by T-Toe
Did you get an A in Chemistry? :smile:

What about the revision guides and other sources?

I'm only one year in but I'm over 90% in the first year and on mocks for unit 4, I will have to balls it up pretty bad not to get one. I am on OCR so I just use the OCR Chemistry book, I don't bother with revision guides because they aren't detailed enough and the text book is only about 40 spreads per test so I don't really think there is a need to condense it more than that. I get the past papers from school but for my spec there are only 2 years worth so it is a bit limited.
learn basic principles first (inside out - especially useful for mechanisms)
then learn details, use lots of different revision methods to keep them in your head
then do past papers and study the markscheme - this is really really important. IMO exam technique is probably the most crucial thing if you're borderline!
Go through all the questions in the textbooks you're using, go through as many exam papers as possible, keep practising.
Reply 10
Have a look at this thread, i made it in August. It was really helpful:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=27125414&highlight=a%20and%20a*%20students.
Goodluck with your exams. :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by mathew551
Go through all the questions in the textbooks you're using, go through as many exam papers as possible, keep practising.

Do you think I should leave my old randon school notes behind (not bother going thought them) and just use the textbook, revision guides, calucation books and past papers as revision sources?
Reply 12
Keep reading your notes and rereading them and reading your notes again.
Original post by T-Toe
Do you think I should leave my old randon school notes behind (not bother going thought them) and just use the textbook, revision guides, calucation books and past papers as revision sources?

You should use textbooks, revision guides and past paper books anyway.

How are your old school notes 'random'?

Bear in mind that textbooks don't tell you everything.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by mathew551
You should use textbooks, revision guides and past paper books anyway.

How are your old school notes 'random'?

Bear in mind that textbooks don't tell you everything.

I have chemistry school worksheets doted around my room. Most my my notes where copied pp presentions so the notes are very walffly.

Latest