Help on Biology for midterms Watch

This discussion is closed.
Anastasia
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Hello,
I am having difficulty understanding a cells Surface Area to Volume Ratio, If anyone is well aquainted with this topic, i would appriciate some quidelinesor brief overveiw to help me get started, thankyou
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well draw a cube of length 1 units, it has a volume of 1 unit cubed. A cube with length 3 untis long, will have a surface area of 27 units cubed. You can see the SA:VOL is this:

6:1
54:27

We can see immediately that there is a reduction in SA:VOL ration, which means if it was a single celled organism the O2, from the first SA:VOL is better as more SA for O2 uptake, for the volume of cell.
Anastasia
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
Well draw a cube of length 1 units, it has a volume of 1 unit cubed. A cube with length 3 untis long, will have a surface area of 27 units cubed. You can see the SA:VOL is this:

6:1
54:27

We can see immediately that there is a reduction in SA:VOL ration, which means if it was a single celled organism the O2, from the first SA:VOL is better as more SA for O2 uptake, for the volume of cell.

thankyou!!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.91%
Leave (435)
21.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise