The Student Room Group

How male dominated is uni maths?

Basically, in my stats lesson they gave us the previous years results classified by sex and told us to prove (if you were a boy) that boys were better at maths and vice versa if you were a girl (talk about distasteful).
Anyway, afterwards I was talking to someone about it and I said that a useful stat to know was what this was like at university level and said I'd seen this stat that about 90% of maths students at cambridge were boys and I suggested this could be significant in the arguement.
Any thoughts on the general debate?
I've heard that at some unis *Imperial* the course is ridiculously male dominated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Actually, the Imperial maths course has a male:female ratio that isn't as extreme as the average for Imperial. It's courses like engineering and physics that are incredibly male dominated.
Reply 2
Original post by Noble.
No. Actually, the Imperial maths course has a male:female ratio that isn't as extreme as the average for Imperial. It's courses like engineering and physics that are incredibly male dominated.

OK
I don't know where I got that impression from...
How did your OxMAT go?
Moreso than average I'd guess, and not in a good way.
Reply 4
Original post by Retrospect
Moreso than average I'd guess, and not in a good way.

What do you mean by not in a good way?
I don't really see it as good or bad really...
Reply 5
Theres nothing wrong with it being male dominated as long as there is equal opportunity to get in (which there is). So whats the problem?
Reply 6
It's Engineering and Computer Science you need to watch out for.
Maths ain't got nothin' on them.
Reply 7
Original post by wavey93
Theres nothing wrong with it being male dominated as long as there is equal opportunity to get in (which there is). So whats the problem?

I've got zero problems with this. My thread isn't complaining, more enquiring...
By the way, I'm a boy, I don't want people to think this is some covert femenist rant.
Original post by ben-smith
Basically, in my stats lesson they gave us the previous years results classified by sex and told us to prove (if you were a boy) that boys were better at maths and vice versa if you were a girl (talk about distasteful).
Anyway, afterwards I was talking to someone about it and I said that a useful stat to know was what this was like at university level and said I'd seen this stat that about 90% of maths students at cambridge were boys and I suggested this could be significant in the arguement.
Any thoughts on the general debate?
I've heard that at some unis *Imperial* the course is ridiculously male dominated.

Damn... :sexface:

Put it this way, maths at university is going to be more highly dominated by males than arts subject or even the biological sciences. Though I feel Engineering, Physics and CompSci has a proportion of males on these courses. Which is good on my part.

Though, I could be wrong, and tbh, at the end of the day, the physical sciences and engineering will always be dominated by men. Not that I'm complaining or anything...
Reply 9
I've got zero problems with this. My thread isn't complaining, more enquiring...
By the way, I'm a boy, I don't want people to think this is some covert femenist rant.

My bad , I'll leave you with this you won't be getting much "action" in those classes. Unless of course your gay.:cool:
Reply 10
Original post by im so academic
Damn... :sexface:

Put it this way, maths at university is going to be more highly dominated by males than arts subject or even the biological sciences. Though I feel Engineering, Physics and CompSci has a proportion of males on these courses. Which is good on my part.

Though, I could be wrong, and tbh, at the end of the day, the physical sciences and engineering will always be dominated by men. Not that I'm complaining or anything...

You hoe.
At Manchester it's 50/50.

I suppose at Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick it might be biased towards men.

Engineering is where it is male dominated.
Original post by wavey93
My bad , I'll leave you with this you won't be getting much "action" in those classes. Unless of course your gay.:cool:

fair enough, but I don't think you do a maths degree to get "action"...
What do you mean by not in a good way?
I don't really see it as good or bad really...

For the females (geeky stereotype, think about it). :mmm:

Maths isn't that male dominated. Depends where you go.
Reply 15
hmmmm thats a tough one that, nor do i, Einstein.
Reply 16

lighten up, i was only joking jheez
Sausage fest.
Original post by wavey93
lighten up, i was only joking jheez

its cool
I'm just doing a bit of really unscientific polling here
I'd say it was about 50:50.

Quick Reply

Latest