Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Going on to study BSC Psychology in September, is anyone already there? just curious as to what the first year entails, (very organised, want to do preperation reading!) Can anyone give me a brief overview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bek4)
    Going on to study BSC Psychology in September, is anyone already there? just curious as to what the first year entails, (very organised, want to do preperation reading!) Can anyone give me a brief overview?
    Hi

I've just finished my first semester of a BSc Psychology degree at Nottingham.

It'll vary from uni to uni what you do in the first year - my friend doing psychology at Newcastle has done very different modules from me.

I do five psychology modules over the first year. The suggested topics to read about are only really relevant for the first half of the year, as I don't know what I'll be covering in the second half.

Cognitive Neuroscience and Biological Psychology - Learning a basic structure of the brain would be a good idea, e.g. frontal, occipital, temporal and parietal lobes, where they are, what they're responsible for. If you haven't done A-level biology, it's a very good idea to try and understand action potentials before you go to uni!

Cognitive Psychology - Looking at different visual illusions and cognitive processes involving attention spans.

Individual In Society - Eysenck's 'big five' personality traits, other approaches to personality (ie not trait theory). A bit of Freud too. Mother-child separation and the types of adults the children grow up to be.

Statistical Methods - If you haven't done maths for A-level it's a good idea to go over some old GCSE stuff. It's mainly learning how to use different formulae so there's not a lot of reading you can do about it.

Practical Methods - Mental rotation and the Stroop test (trying to read the word blue in a red font for example)

There's a bit more info on what we've done on Nottingham uni's psychology webpage. Click on the first year modules and it'll give you some blurble and slides/handouts.

Hope that's of some help! Feel free to PM me if you have anything else you'd like to ask

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, the link in the post above was a bit indirect.

Try this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .NK)
    Hi

I've just finished my first semester of a BSc Psychology degree at Nottingham.

It'll vary from uni to uni what you do in the first year - my friend doing psychology at Newcastle has done very different modules from me.

I do five psychology modules over the first year. The suggested topics to read about are only really relevant for the first half of the year, as I don't know what I'll be covering in the second half.

Cognitive Neuroscience and Biological Psychology - Learning a basic structure of the brain would be a good idea, e.g. frontal, occipital, temporal and parietal lobes, where they are, what they're responsible for. If you haven't done A-level biology, it's a very good idea to try and understand action potentials before you go to uni!

Cognitive Psychology - Looking at different visual illusions and cognitive processes involving attention spans.

Individual In Society - Eysenck's 'big five' personality traits, other approaches to personality (ie not trait theory). A bit of Freud too. Mother-child separation and the types of adults the children grow up to be.

Statistical Methods - If you haven't done maths for A-level it's a good idea to go over some old GCSE stuff. It's mainly learning how to use different formulae so there's not a lot of reading you can do about it.

Practical Methods - Mental rotation and the Stroop test (trying to read the word blue in a red font for example)

There's a bit more info on what we've done on Nottingham uni's psychology webpage. Click on the first year modules and it'll give you some blurble and slides/handouts.

Hope that's of some help! Feel free to PM me if you have anything else you'd like to ask

Thank god for that! No more key studies!!! soooo boring! I'm queen of criticism! Much more interesting stuff to look forward to and impress my mates with!! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bek4)
    Thank god for that! No more key studies!!! soooo boring! I'm queen of criticism! Much more interesting stuff to look forward to and impress my mates with!! thanks!
    I have no idea what key studies are because I didn't do A-level psych but everyone in my lectures moans about it...

Glad I was of some help

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.