The Student Room Group

Caution: Tesco celery

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
More for your money, get them down your cakehole!
Reply 21
Original post by Linzikins
You expect a certain standard of food when you buy them from shops, they are supposed to be cleaned. It's like those poisonous spiders that were found in a bunch of bananas, you don't expect it to happen and it shouldn't. Company's wouldn't provide apologies and refunds if it wasn't necessary.

Lol, they provide refunds so you carry on buying there stuff and give you more money. There not a charity.
Original post by Ruthi-SH
it wasnt about the product, more so about complaints i was refering to, OP should complain tbh and at least get his money back for the celery and yes i am aware that bugs can be present but it is tescos responsibility to ensure that it is fit for human consumption, obvviously its not possible to get rid of all the bugs but they should give money back when cases like this occur

It is fit for human consumption aslong as the OP follows packet instructions ie washed it before eating!!!

They likely give the money back to stop the OP shouting about it but tbh aslong as the packet says wash before use then they are in the clear
Reply 23
Eeew I've found a mini snail (live) in a big bag of sainsbury's spinach before :puke:
Complain. I complain about everything. If you don't complain, they won't know anything's wrong, and so won't be able to put it right.

I complained about the fact that tesco left a bottle of mayo off my order (I was craving a cheese and mayo sarnie, so they couldn't have chosen anything worse) and wanted the £1.whatever back that I had paid- got my £4.50 delivery refunded, the item refunded, and a £10 goodwill voucher :biggrin:
wash your vegetables. it's a worm for christ's sake. it ain't gonna kill you.
Original post by RageVI
Lol, they provide refunds so you carry on buying there stuff and give you more money. There not a charity.

A charity? they give refunds because the customer is not happy with the product, it's all part of retail. Customer Satisfaction my friend, the OP is perfectly in his/her rights to complain about the product.

Anyway I can't be bothered to argue with someone who is overly passionate about a piece of celery. Pipe down. :rolleyes:
Reply 27
They look like tiny blackworms, the stuff they sell at petshops to feed your fish with. It's disgusting but if the product is organic, then someone is bound to stumble on a bug every so often. It's not going to harm you even if you did eat them, so it's really up to you whether you complain or not. Personally I probably wouldn't. The only thing I've complained about was finding a maggot buried in my corn on the cob. :afraid: Eurgh!
Reply 28
A charity? they give refunds because the customer is not happy with the product, it's all part of retail. Customer Satisfaction my friend, the OP is perfectly in his/her rights to complain about the product.

Anyway I can't be bothered to argue with someone who is overly passionate about a piece of celery. Pipe down. :rolleyes:

Lmao, how retarded.. overly passionate.. coming from the one replying back?

:facepalm2:

Oh and your point has nothing to do with what I was saying.. which is that there is a general human trend towards every having to be spotless.. which is a vicious circle.. more clean.. less immune system meaning things need to be more clean... even worse immune system etc..
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
I would have probably just washed them off to be honest.

I think when you buy veg you have to expect them to have some kind of bugs on them at times, its only natural. I eat a lot of home grown veg so I guess Im used to it.

Having said that I saw the other day that there had been some deaths in Texas due to contaminated celery. However Im sure you have nothing to worry about :tongue:

The only food Ive ever complained about was when my husband found a big chunk of glass in a Gregg's sausage roll. :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
There's nothing wrong with finding a little bug or worm or similar in fresh fruit and vegitables like this. It's natural and is why many things will tell you to wash them first on the packaging because they have not gone through a process of cleaning and preparation prior to packing.

Now if this said 'ready to eat' on the packaging then it would be a different story. But celeary never usually says this.

So no, don't complain as there's nothing wrong with what was found. I'd suggest that if you don't want to find bugs in fresh vegatables then simply don't buy any that haven't got 'ready to eat' on the packaging. Though you'd be massively restricted in what you could buy...

I do wonder what people will complain about next - soil on their potatoes maybe?
I would eat that lol
This is why you wash your vegetables before you eat them. Seriously, man up, wash the worm off, and eat it.
I hate to break this to you, but this is how nature works. Nothing grows out of the ground in perfectly sterilised vacuum-packed plastic packets.
Original post by RageVI
Lmao, how retarded.. overly passionate.. coming from the one replying back?

:facepalm2:

Oh and your point has nothing to do with what I was saying.. which is that there is a general human trend towards every having to be spotless.. which is a vicious circle.. more clean.. less immune system meaning things need to be more clean... even worse immune system etc..

Just because someone doesn't feel like eating a worm doesn't mean their immune system will become weaker. A worm isn't going to kill you is it.
Reply 34
Just because someone doesn't feel like eating a worm doesn't mean their immune system will become weaker. A worm isn't going to kill you is it.

Well clearly are addiction to cleaness means we become ill far more easily than pretty much any other animal. We can no longer even eat meat raw without being ill for example... Something every animal in the world can.
Original post by RageVI
Well clearly are addiction to cleaness means we become ill far more easily than pretty much any other animal. We can no longer even eat meat raw without being ill for example... Something every animal in the world can.

Why would you wan't to eat raw meat anyway :s-smilie:. People aren't going to go around the streets picking up any little bug they can find to help their immune system. People come into contact with germs daily. Go lick a handrail on the tube, i'm sure all the bacteria will benefit your immune system.
Reply 36
Why would you wan't to eat raw meat anyway :s-smilie:. People aren't going to go around the streets picking up any little bug they can find to help their immune system. People come into contact with germs daily. Go lick a handrail on the tube, i'm sure all the bacteria will benefit your immune system.

You really dont do the smartarse comments well, do you know that?
Reply 37

Original post by RK
I do wonder what people will complain about next - soil on their potatoes maybe?

We had someone complain their potatoes were too muddy...

It would be usefull to build up your immune system, ie if we didnt over cook meat, wash everything 90times a day etc then you would be used to common microbes so wouldnt get ill of them - its called the adaptive immune system

ewwww, I was in costco earlier, I was getting some naan bread. It was dated till Jan 11. And I turned the package over and there was mould on one of the naans. Didn't buy it.

Quick Reply

Latest