ReputationRep:
    Are you like desperate for some football relief? You posted like 3 threads

ReputationRep:
    where's America on the list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Come on England!!!

With a defence which had the best record in the World Cup 2002, a midfield that boasts the three of the most effective midfielders in the world in the form of Beckham, Scholes and Gerrard, and a strikeforce which has the pace to terrify all opponets, it is clear to say that England are bringing the trophy home come what June!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidBrent)
    Come on England!!!

With a defence which had the best record in the World Cup 2002, a midfield that boasts the three of the most effective midfielders in the world in the form of Beckham, Scholes and Gerrard, and a strikeforce which has the pace to terrify all opponets, it is clear to say that England are bringing the trophy home come what June!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    Mind there will be injuries etc. and it could effectively decimate the team.

ReputationRep:
    Portugal

ReputationRep:
    Come on England!!!

unfortunately we boast about our team EVERY single tournament, Euro OR World cup............. we haven't become any better. The fact is, we don't have a decent enough squad to contend in major tournaments when any of our first XI get injured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Mind there will be injuries etc. and it could effectively decimate the team.
    In some areas, they have good cover, with Lampard and Butt in midfield and Woodgate, Terry, Bridge and P.neville in defence. But up front they major trouble if will end up relying on Heskey and Beattie

The only reason we did not beat Brazil in wc2002 was because our most experienced defender (Neville) was injured, our captain and our main goalscorer were only half fit and Gerrard was missing, plus the heat killed us. But in Portugal we will play at night and if those players are all fit we should have fair crack at it.

ReputationRep:
    In some areas, they have good cover, with Lampard and Butt in midfield and Woodgate, Terry, Bridge and P.neville in defence. But up front they major trouble if will end up relying on Heskey and Beattie

The only reason we did not beat Brazil in wc2002 was because our most experienced defender (Neville) was injured, our captain and our main goalscorer were only half fit and Gerrard was missing, plus the heat killed us. But in Portugal we will play at night and if those players are all fit we should have fair crack at it.
    In fact the heat wasn't that bad really. It was prolly the best chance we had on a world cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    unfortunately we boast about our team EVERY single tournament, Euro OR World cup............. we haven't become any better. The fact is, we don't have a decent enough squad to contend in major tournaments when any of our first XI get injured.
    If our best XI can manage to demolish a German side 5-1 in thier own backyard (the same German side who reached the World Cup final a year later,) have the nerves and big game ability to draw against Turkey in the most hostile atmosphere ever after a week of turmiol and go unbeaten since losing in the World Cup, I think we have the right to boast about our team!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    In fact the heat wasn't that bad really. It was prolly the best chance we had on a world cup.
    Yes but England were so knackered by half time that they just could not continue properly while Brazil were used to it.

Also, I remeber when Man Utd played in the World Club champ in Brazil and in every game played in the searing hot daytime against Afraican and S,.American sides they lost, but they always won when they played in the cooler night time. So the heat did play a big factor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    Read the title of the thread-Euro 2004.

ReputationRep:
    Italy

ReputationRep:
    If our best XI can manage to demolish a German side 5-1 in thier own backyard (the same German side who reached the World Cup final a year later,) have the nerves and big game ability to draw against Turkey in the most hostile atmosphere ever after a week of turmiol and go unbeaten since losing in the World Cup, I think we have the right to boast about our team!!
    much as I want to agree with you.... one freak result does not mean we have the temperament and ability to win a World Cup.
    Take for example Wolves beating Man U - that's just one game.... ultimately Wolves are incapable of winning teh Premiership (this season at least), though they beat a lacklustre United side.

so despite the good result, that was just a poor game on the part of the Germans, and us happening to be slightly more clinical at finishing than we usually are....... I mean how often do you see Heskey tucking away the ball in teh back of the net for England?

ReputationRep:
    If Spain can hit there straps they should be in with a good chance. Never shown their true potential but I have a feeling, in Portugal they might have added insentive to impress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    much as I want to agree with you.... one freak result does not mean we have the temperament and ability to win a World Cup.
    Take for example Wolves beating Man U - that's just one game.... ultimately Wolves are incapable of winning teh Premiership (this season at least), though they beat a lacklustre United side.

so despite the good result, that was just a poor game on the part of the Germans, and us happening to be slightly more clinical at finishing than we usually are....... I mean how often do you see Heskey tucking away the ball in teh back of the net for England?
    Plenty of times. He scored in a world cup qualifer as well as a proper World Cup match vs Denmark. Besides, we dont need him now. Owen, Rooney and Vassell are much more accomplished players.

Also take a closer look at our results. We outplayed Argentina in the World Cup, thrashed the Danish and beat Turkey - a team who reached the semis at the World Cup. It isthe togtherness, the quality of the players and our genius of our manager which will see us through. We are always at our best in major matches.

ReputationRep:
    p
    Well, it's obviously not going to be England. I think it will be between France and Italy. Holland will also reach the semi-finals. They have the players but somewhat poor results compared to France. And I think Spain will be the last semi-finalist. I would like it to be Italy though. I also think Christian Vieri will win the Golden Boot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    Well, it's obviously not going to be England. I think it will be between France and Italy. Holland will also reach the semi-finals. They have the players but somewhat poor results compared to France. And I think Spain will be the last semi-finalist. I would like it to be Italy though. I also think Christian Vieri will win the Golden Boot.
    This is the same Italian side who have no team spirit, who were knocked out of the World Cup by a bunch of Koreans struggled to qualify for the comp in group which contained Wales and Albania.

They always fail to deliver.

ReputationRep:
    This is the same Italian side who have no team spirit, who were knocked out of the World Cup by a bunch of Koreans struggled to qualify for the comp in group which contained Wales and Albania.

They always fail to deliver.
    Spot on

ReputationRep:
    If you know about football, you know France are the best team in Europe.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.