PROPER POLL: Who will win Euro 2004?? Watch

This discussion is closed.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
If you know about football, you know France are the best team in Europe.
Agreed. They will definitely be in the Final, no doubt about that.
DavidBrent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by jammyd)
If you know about football, you know France are the best team in Europe.
That is why in the World Cup they:

a) lost against Senegal and Denmark
b) did not win a single game
c) did not even score a goal
d) went out in the first round.

But with their players they are a seroius threat but I can't see them winning a third trophy in just four attmepts
jammyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DavidBrent)

But with their players they are a seroius threat but I can't see them winning a third trophy in just four attmepts
That will be two years ago this summer time, and they will have something to prove to the world for the 2006 WC.

1. Senegal and Denmark are not bad teams teams. England drew at home with Macedonia in the qualifying and failed to beat Denmark in a friendly last autumn.

2. True, but they won every group game in qualifying.

3. Their strikeforce consists of Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet - two excellent strikers.

4. True. But they won WC 1998 and Euro 2000. It would be silly to rule them out.

5. They have the best player in the world - Zinedine Zidane.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Plenty of times. He scored in a world cup qualifer as well as a proper World Cup match vs Denmark. Besides, we dont need him now. Owen, Rooney and Vassell are much more accomplished players.

Also take a closer look at our results. We outplayed Argentina in the World Cup, thrashed the Danish and beat Turkey - a team who reached the semis at the World Cup. It isthe togtherness, the quality of the players and our genius of our manager which will see us through. We are always at our best in major matches.
and you see all three of them scoring regularly recently........not. Owen's been injured for a long time - he hasn't been sharp recently, and I'm not sure if he'll get enough goals under his belt in preparation for the tournament. Vassell was not even in the squad for today's match. Rooney is, I'm afraid still quite young - he's good, but I think he will peak in a few years time - Euro 2004 is still a bit early for him.
Don't forget that we may be at our best in major matches, but we only actually win 1-0 on these occasions. We beat German 1-0 awhile back, and the same for Argentina. Once we scored, we did the same old thing of hang tight for the last 20 minutes and HOPE we don't concede. exactly where we went wrong against Brazil - we didn't try and score another. AND we are abysmal for the non-major matches - look at the two draws against Sweden and Nigeria - we should have beaten them. We scraped through that World Cup group with 1 win, 2 draws. Hardly impressive. Behold when the nation celebrated as we EQUALISED to secure a draw against lowly Greece to qualify for the world cup.

In the more recent games..... look at the minnows we've been playing, and see how we draw against teams like Macedonia. It just sums up for me the fact that England players are a talented group who don't seem to have the motivation to score multiple goals, and are only reared for 'the big occasion'. True, the manager is trying to change that, but will we be hungry and professional enough to beat all the other teams in Euro 2004? I think not.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ed4, I agree with your points on the strikers. There is a good reason why Erikson has tried endlessly to get Shearer to play in the tournament.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
England?

Ha.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Frances exit was a mystery, but based on players, they are the best team in the world.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
England?

Ha.
It's not 'Ha'

It's 'HA!' or 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA' if you want to be more specific.
Bigcnee
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by jediknight007)
It's not 'Ha'

It's 'HA!' or 'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA' if you want to be more specific.
Quite.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I support Italy.
crazy_cutie44
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
p
good as it wud b i dont think england can do it!!
adelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
BULGARIA !! ..
you ******* why isnt it on the list :| ?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
BULGARIA !! ..
you ******* why isnt it on the list :| ?
Because there isn't any way that they win?
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
Because there isn't any way that they win?
errrm . I think it could beat/draw a lot of those countries listed there - look at their most recent matches and their qualifier scores
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
errrm . I think it could beat/draw a lot of those countries listed there - look at their most recent matches and their qualifier scores
I respect your opinion.
But I guess that you are supporting your national team, I would always say that Argentina will win any tournament.
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I respect your opinion.
But I guess that you are supporting your national team, I would always say that Argentina will win any tournament.
Yes that is true - but I mean I wouldnt have said that in like 1998 or 2000 or whenever. . but .. now .. I would definately say theyve got a good chance of getting a good place.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
Yes that is true - but I mean I wouldnt have said that in like 1998 or 2000 or whenever. . but .. now .. I would definately say theyve got a good chance of getting a good place.
OK, good luck then.

adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OK, good luck then.

lol. . thanks
equili3rium
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i know that you all support england, but they dont really have the capacity to take on teams who play better quality football e.g.portugal and france...However, they may have a chance
musiq
Report 15 years ago
How can this be a proper poll when half the teams in the tournament are missing on the list? The czech republic have a pretty good side!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads