Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently studying triple maths, economics and politics A levels.
    I hope to apply to Cambridge next year to study maths.
    I want to drop politics, but some people say that my A level options will look very narrow to university admissions ppl. I sent some emails to universities I hope to apply to asking whether I should drop it, most uni's said it I should. But I got a rather lengthy email from a man at Oxford saying I should stick with it....I just wonder whether anyone would be able to offer me some advice :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Triple maths? How does that work?

Anyway, I'd try and stick at it until AS but make sure you get damn near 100% in your Maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Heskins)
    I want to drop politics, but some people say that my A level options will look very narrow to university admissions ppl. I sent some emails to universities I hope to apply to asking whether I should drop it, most uni's said it I should. But I got a rather lengthy email from a man at Oxford saying I should stick with it....I just wonder whether anyone would be able to offer me some advice :rolleyes:

Why did you email a tutor at Oxford, if you are hoping to apply to Cambridge University :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Triple maths? Hmmm..!

I get the feeling, and this is definitely not gospel, just my own experience, that Cambridge would care that you were as good as possible at Maths, and that if your Maths improved by dropping Politics, they'd prefer that. This is based on the fact that they don't seem to have accepted people with 5 or 6 as/a levels or whatever who didn't have time to show their motivation and commitment to maths by reading off syllabus/getting incredibly good scores in your modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)
    Triple maths? How does that work?

Anyway, I'd try and stick at it until AS but make sure you get damn near 100% in your Maths!
    Yes, they will take a good luck at what you got in each of your Maths modules, if you're scraping 80%s because of the workload, well, what I said above. (Having said that, I scraped a 70/73 in P2/P3 respectively, and I still got an offer =P)

ReputationRep:
    Triple maths on OCR (MEI) you need 18 modules including P1-5.
    My politics teacher advised at take it to AS too, but if I'm taking 4 Alevels, no uni asks for 4 Alevels and an AS also ... do they?

(I emailed lots of unis just for lots of different opinions, plus i didn't want to rule out Oxford as I may end up not wanting to apply to Cam)

ReputationRep:
    Triple maths on OCR (MEI) you need 18 modules including P1-5.
    My politics teacher advised at take it to AS too, but if I'm taking 4 Alevels, no uni asks for 4 Alevels and an AS also ... do they?
    No. I'm doing 4 A2s and an AS this year, and it's killing me, I've already decided to sacrifice one and just fail any exams in that subject to ensure I get the top grades in the others.

Also remember, Cambridge will ask for you to do STEP papers, these are so hard, and whilst a 3rd Maths alevel could help in the range of questinos you could tackle, you'll still need to spend alot of time getting used to STEP papers.

Also remember that A2s are yet another STEP up from AS. Many students have no problem getting top grades at AS, but often drop to a B at A2. Though usually the AS grades were so high it doesn't matter so much.

ReputationRep:
    LoL thanks for your confidence

ReputationRep:
    LoL thanks for your confidence
    I think everybody here is very confident for you, I mean hello, triple maths :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Also remember that A2s are yet another STEP up from AS. Many students have no problem getting top grades at AS, but often drop to a B at A2. Though usually the AS grades were so high it doesn't matter so much.
    Some stats from my school for the last two years:

25 people got As at AS level maths. Of these 24 went on to get an A at A2. One person got a B. A2 is harder but most people score highly at AS that they still get an A overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    No. I'm doing 4 A2s and an AS this year, and it's killing me, I've already decided to sacrifice one and just fail any exams in that subject to ensure I get the top grades in the others.

Also remember, Cambridge will ask for you to do STEP papers, these are so hard, and whilst a 3rd Maths alevel could help in the range of questinos you could tackle, you'll still need to spend alot of time getting used to STEP papers.

beware though that the 3rd maths A-Level won't help you THAT much on STEP, your extra 6 modules will be bound to be in Mechanics/Statistics modules, and there are only 3 of each in a STEP paper, compared to 8 pure. And you don't learn any more pure doing triple maths than double maths. STEP is about how well you can apply the syllabus, not how much maths you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaF)
    Some stats from my school for the last two years:

25 people got As at AS level maths. Of these 24 went on to get an A at A2. One person got a B. A2 is harder but most people score highly at AS that they still get an A overall.
    Agreed. I think it's the highest AS grade A -> A2 percentage of all subjects. It's still a step up though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    beware though that the 3rd maths A-Level won't help you THAT much on STEP, your extra 6 modules will be bound to be in Mechanics/Statistics modules, and there are only 3 of each in a STEP paper, compared to 8 pure. And you don't learn any more pure doing triple maths than double maths. STEP is about how well you can apply the syllabus, not how much maths you know.
    Yes, I do recognise this. The only thing is if you've only done up to M2 or S2 (likely with double maths) then you've probably not done enough to tackle the applied STEP questions, but if you've done M5/M6/S5/S6 as you would with the third Alevel, you're alot more likely to be able to answer an applied question, and so won't be screwed if you're unlucky with the range of pure questions.

ReputationRep:
    Concentrate on the maths, apply and if you do badly in politics you do badly in politics, it will show you have at least some idea of trying to be a rounded individual

Makesure you practice STEP, one of my friends missed out for not getting the STEP requirement!

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to do triple Maths as well. Which sounds quite weird when taking into account the fact that I am going to read PPE in Balliol ..

If you are certain you want to do maths in university, then you should focus on that . The amount of time you are gonna need to dedicate in the 2nd year for your 3rd alevel gets much gr8r, especially if your doing it alone... so focus on that i'd say! However, I think you should have enough time to continue with politics! I am doing Economics and Physics as well, and it's not that bad ... only if i worked a lil bit more --- ' I'm very laZy'...

As ur doing it with OCR, u mite try the D&D Modules or even the Numerical Modules, they are easier than S6 and M6, n they r more likely to provide you with somethin different.

So... if u can cope with the amount of work .. then try doin em all.. if not... well i'd give priority to the 3rd maths a-level!

Best wishez,

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks "DaKewLesT" for your advice. I'm thinking maybe I should try and stick with it, I'm just not enjoying it which is why I was thikning about dropping it.
    3 Maths A level wise, I'm doing M1-4, P1-6, S1-4, NM, NA, D1&D2 so I'm not daring to do M/S 5/6 anyway And By June I would have done 12 of the 18 modules so next year shouldn't be too much work anyway. (Which are you doing? and ru the only one from your school? possibly not the best place to be having this discussion)

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks "DaKewLesT" for your advice. I'm thinking maybe I should try and stick with it, I'm just not enjoying it which is why I was thikning about dropping it.
    3 Maths A level wise, I'm doing M1-4, P1-6, S1-4, NM, NA, D1&D2 so I'm not daring to do M/S 5/6 anyway And By June I would have done 12 of the 18 modules so next year shouldn't be too much work anyway. (Which are you doing? and ru the only one from your school? possibly not the best place to be having this discussion)
    doing more modules last year is something i should have done! I only did 7 .. I could have done some more, but my maths teacher wanted me not to rush for some reazon .. hmm..
    anyhow... i am doing p1-6 , m1-5 , s1-4 , NA & NM , D1.. i mite do D2 instead of S4 though.. didnt touch any of em just yet..!
    I am the only one doing it in my school! there's one doin that every other year in my school ..
    If you don't enjoy it and find it as nuthin but a pain.. then ya mite should drop politics! I am having the same thing with physics, but it's too late for me to drop it now! Then again if it's not that much work, I would keep it, shows you're not just a mathematician ..

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ Triple Maths. How very, very dull that must be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Lol @ Triple Maths. How very, very dull that must be.
    more dull than a maths degree?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently studying triple maths,
    bit sad isn't it?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.