lahorijutt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I had a third in my second year. Working hard for my third year though.

I really don't require a training contract or a pupillage as i have other plans.

But i need to do an LPC or a BPTC, and need to get into an institution which would accept me.

I have a mini pupillage and two work placements on my CV with a third one coming in Jan. All three placements have been with well reputed city firms. Plus i have worked part time in an office for two years. In a small accountancy practice.

Fee is also not an issue. That is sorted as well.

Could anyone advice me as to what should i do, and which providers should i apply to? And who would actually accept me?

I can only join an institution in London though.

So, which institute would accept me for BPTC or LPC in London with a third in my second year? I just need to get that place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
heyguyswhats
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No one ****
SevenStars
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What are your 'other plans' that require you to have an LPC or a BPTC? And why are you not bothered which you do? Both are specific to the careers of solicitors or barristers - they are worthless for other careers.
lahorijutt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Because i am an international student, and where i want to practice, it does not matter if you have done an LPC or a BPTC. There isn't a split in profession.

In any case, is there any institution in London?
SevenStars
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think people with 3rds should be discouraged from applying for courses where the stated minimum is a 2:2.

Contact the schools directly and ask them if they want your money - and of course, if you manage to raise your grade to the minimum you may be in with a chance.
Tha_Black_Shinobi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Surely if you want to practice it in a different country you would have to take your professional exams in that country?
Alexr115
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lahorijutt)
I had a third in my second year. Working hard for my third year though.

I really don't require a training contract or a pupillage as i have other plans.

But i need to do an LPC or a BPTC, and need to get into an institution which would accept me.

I have a mini pupillage and two work placements on my CV with a third one coming in Jan. All three placements have been with well reputed city firms. Plus i have worked part time in an office for two years. In a small accountancy practice.

Fee is also not an issue. That is sorted as well.

Could anyone advice me as to what should i do, and which providers should i apply to? And who would actually accept me?

I can only join an institution in London though.

So, which institute would accept me for BPTC or LPC in London with a third in my second year? I just need to get that place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I had a third in my second year and finished overall with a 2:1, did lots of work though. If you're doing the BPTC you need to be a member of one of the inns of court before starting the BPTC. The inns will not accept you unless you have achieved at least a 2:2. Not sure what the rules are for the LPC but I can imagine they are the same.

Personally I don't think the London institutes will touch you with a barge pole to be honest. You're best bet is outside London.

(I'm currently studying the BPTC Part time at UWE.)
LegaleagleA
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi All,

I applied to city law school first choice and BPP second choice and college of law third choice. I find out in two weeks if i have been accepted by either of these providers. I am really scared.. wondering what my chances are. I am expected 2.1 in my final year from a private uni namely uni of Buckingham. i have 4 years legal work experience and I worked full time and studied part time, including advocacy experience of prosecuting and defending cases.

Will I get accepted by these providers? I have already joined an inn and membership confirmed etc..

Any advice would be great. How do providers choose whom to accept and whom to reject? is it true BPP won't accept you if they are not your first choice?
Lell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You can get into CoL with a third. There was a girl in my class who had a third. She had to leave because she couldn't hack it.
Gunned
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LegaleagleA)
Hi All,

I applied to city law school first choice and BPP second choice and college of law third choice. I find out in two weeks if i have been accepted by either of these providers. I am really scared.. wondering what my chances are. I am expected 2.1 in my final year from a private uni namely uni of Buckingham. i have 4 years legal work experience and I worked full time and studied part time, including advocacy experience of prosecuting and defending cases.

Will I get accepted by these providers? I have already joined an inn and membership confirmed etc..

Any advice would be great. How do providers choose whom to accept and whom to reject? is it true BPP won't accept you if they are not your first choice?
Honestly, it is highly unlikely that you will be rejected from any of those institutions. I got in to all three, with a horrendous four line personal statement...says it all.

In short, you'll get in.
LegaleagleA
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gunned)
Honestly, it is highly unlikely that you will be rejected from any of those institutions. I got in to all three, with a horrendous four line personal statement...says it all.

In short, you'll get in.
Thank you for this, I hope I do.

So what provider are you with and how would you rate the course? do you regret your choice?
Gunned
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LegaleagleA)
Thank you for this, I hope I do.

So what provider are you with and how would you rate the course? do you regret your choice?
I'm currently studying the GDL at CoL and just received all three offers for the LPC a few weeks ago, as I said with the pretty poor personal statement. Although I doubt I'll be taking one of the offers up, unless I obtain the elusive TC!
shakilgcu
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi,

I am delighted to discover something very helpful forum for current and future BPTC students.

I am a Law P.hD. Student. I was always keen to acquire a BPTC degree and become a barrister. but due to unavoidable sickness, I failed to obtain 2;2.

So after that, I finished my LL.M and last year started my P.hD. which is scheduled to finish next year.

What are my options for coming back as a BPTC student? Please note meanwhile I did 3 mini-pupillage and also I am a registered advocate and an assistant professor of Law in my country.

Please Advise.
tizzybelle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by shakilgcu)
Hi,

I am delighted to discover something very helpful forum for current and future BPTC students.

I am a Law P.hD. Student. I was always keen to acquire a BPTC degree and become a barrister. but due to unavoidable sickness, I failed to obtain 2;2.

So after that, I finished my LL.M and last year started my P.hD. which is scheduled to finish next year.

What are my options for coming back as a BPTC student? Please note meanwhile I did 3 mini-pupillage and also I am a registered advocate and an assistant professor of Law in my country.

Please Advise.
Hi, why don't you get in touch with the people you did your mini-pupillages with? I did some with a few chambers and they were really good at offering me advice. I would recommend that firstly.

Secondly, be way that you might be seen as 'too academic.' I have had that feedback because I have a First at undergrad and did an MSc...! So if this DOES come up, you need to have a really good justification and well thought out answer.

I'd also try and sort out some more mini-pupillages and try and get yourself into the profession, talk to people who are actually doing the job.

I think if you are determined you should go for it - seems like you have experience and are interested. Make sure you have something that'll make you stand out and just go get networking and talking to people!

Sorry it's all a bit fuzzy... but those are my thoughts =)
Cr.07
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I graduated with third from Southampton solent since I had to work 2 jobs while studying and it wasn't that easy for me, but without 2.2 I cannot proceed for the LPC, so there is anything for that I can do to reach the minimum, or apply for something else, or should I follow different direction !?
monokurobuu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by shakilgcu)
Hi,

Please Advise.
Contact the BSB and your preferred Inn now. Joining an Inn is required to register for the BPTC, but this isn't allowed if you have a third. However, since you are going to have a PhD there will probably be an exception made for you. It will be time consuming sorting it all out, so I would start ironing things out now, so that you'll have enough time to join if you want to start next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (71)
22.98%
Excited but a bit nervous (137)
44.34%
Not bothered either way (37)
11.97%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.71%

Watched Threads