Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Football is gay but I make no apologies for loving Gareth Bale. He is so well spoken even though he is Welsh whereas all the supposedly "English" players are just chavs with too much money.

Anyway.

This isn't really a blog as such, just somewhere convenient where I can figure out the numbers I will be lifting over the next month. It will get confusing because deadlift cycles are three weeks whereas 531 cycles are four. That is why I must write it down. Another reason is that usually I don't have a routine and am the King of Wing. Unfortunately that's stopped working so now I am Man with Plan instead. My plan is detailed thusly.

The routine I have dreamed up is this:

Mon 531 front squat, rows
    Tue 531 press, seated DB press
    Wed Judo
    Thurs Deadlift, back extension
    Fri Judo
    Sat 531 bench press, lats
    Sun biceps and triceps

Today is Wednesday and I drank beer instead of going to judo so off to a good start. Tomorrow is Thursday which happens to be the start of an exciting new deadlift cycle. Let's say my max is like.. i dunno, 255 or something (not unreasonable). So my cycle is
    4th: 152.5
    11th: 165
    18th: 175
    25th: 155

That's far enough in advance to plan deadlifts.

Next exercise is bench press. Never done 5/3/1 before so here goes. Wendler says to pretend your max is a bit crappier than it really is so let's say 100 since that's the heaviest I have gone in a while. Now it's all complicated with numbers and **** (even more percentages than for deadlift). If by some miracle Matt Griff has read this far he will surely be laughing into his Guinness that someone would have so many percentages.

Anyway, **** Matt. Here's tha plan.
    6th: 65x5, 75x5, 85x5+
    13th: 70x3, 80x3, 90x3+
    20th: 75x5, 85x3, 95x1+
    27th: 40x5, 50x5, 60x5

Front squat max, well I'll do it beltless and wrapless so I guess 120. Probably won't do may reps on these because of my wrists.
    8th: 77.5x5, 90x5, 102.5x5+
    15th: 85x3, 97.5x3, 110x3+
    22nd: 90x5, 102.5x3, 115x1+
    29th: 50x5, 60x5, 70x5

Press. Oh how embarrassing this will be. I missed 80 a couple days ago.. granted I did upper body the day before and I was ill but still, very poor shoulder power :nn:. Let's put it at 70 to avoid ego lifting :emo: (no chance of an ego here). God this thinking is boring. Lucky I'm doing it all for the whole month now.
    9th: 45x5, 52.5x5, 60x5+
    16th: 50x3, 57.5x3, 62.5x3+
    23rd: 52.5x5, 60x3, 67.5x1+
    30th: (why even calculate deload numbers? so making them up 40x5, 45x5, 50x5

That was painful to write but hopefully it will work. Probably less painful in the gym too. Of course I won't calculate percentages for assistance work because I am not that gay.

I will update the log to tell my fellow Gareth Bale fans how many reps I got on each exercise. It is a clever plan IMO so hopefully I will get massive gainz real quick.

ReputationRep:
    (I use a real max for deadlifts instead of the fake 531 max because the %s only go up to 70 as opposed to 95)

ReputationRep:
    Right. So what the **** 's this gotta do with gareth bale?

ReputationRep:
    What happend to your press man? Couldn't you do like 90 strict?

:rofl:

Great name for a blog nun!:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    What happend to your press man? Couldn't you do like 90 strict?
    mmmmm I did 88 strict with a log which is an easier strict press. Missing 80 might have been a one off I guess but improvements have not been very good of late. Never did close to 90 strict with a bar anyway. Bad times really.

(Original post by Glennith)
    Right. So what the **** 's this gotta do with gareth bale?
    Hmmmm, did you read the first and last paragraphs? I clearly mentioned that I think Gareth Bale is great. I didn't like your tone so I negged your post but I may have been hasty since your sig suggests that you are apparently a Gareth Bale fan too. Maybe I'll rep you one day :moon:

(Original post by S-man10)
    :rofl:

Great name for a blog nun!:yy:
    Thanks S-man man.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Why aren't you squatting?

ReputationRep:
    [IMG]http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/wtf_is_this_****.jpg[/IMG]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Hmmmm, did you read the first and last paragraphs? I clearly mentioned that I think Gareth Bale is great. I didn't like your tone so I negged your post but I may have been hasty since your sig suggests that you are apparently a Gareth Bale fan too. Maybe I'll rep you one day :moon:
    Fair point with the tone, bit tired.

Erm, yeeah, I like chicken, but I don't put it into random thread titles, that are pretty much nothing to do with chicken? seems odd.

Thanks for explaining. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Why aren't you squatting?
    Front squatting is squatting. It's just a different kind of squatting. Loads of strongmen don't back squat. I think, maybe.

Anyway the true reason is I don't care about my raw squat (or eq squat really) and I don't need to do it to make my deadlift go up, so I won't.

(Original post by MattGriff)
    [IMG]http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/wtf_is_this_****.jpg[/IMG]
    Hey man I tried the "just lift heavy" technique (well, heavy for me) but it hasn't been working lately

Maybe I'm too stupid that I need to have someone else tell me what to lift but hey, if it gets me strong who cares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glennith)
    Fair point with the tone, bit tired.

Erm, yeeah, I like chicken, but I don't put it into random thread titles, that are pretty much nothing to do with chicken? seems odd.

Thanks for explaining. :yy:
    If you had a fitness blog you would be welcome to relate it to chicken. This is because we in the fitness section are much cooler than everyone else on the internet :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Meh if it works it works.

I am more mr instinct trainer as I enjoy it more
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Front squatting is squatting.
    It's not a back squat, which is what everyone refers to when they say squat. So why aren't you [back] squatting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    Meh if it works it works.

I am more mr instinct trainer as I enjoy it more
    Yeah I enjoyed it but sadly it stopped working. I think this looks pretty fun though.

(Original post by Smack)
    It's not a back squat, which is what everyone refers to when they say squat. So why aren't you [back] squatting?
    Sorry, I was being obtuse. I edited my original response.

ReputationRep:
    i ****ing love gareth bale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahhhhh)
    i ****ing love gareth bale
    He is great isn't he? :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Cool beans.

I've made a 5/3/1 spreadsheet that might be of use to you, standard enter-your-1RM -and-it-works-a-4-week-cycle-out-for-you shizzle. Will email it if you want.

ReputationRep:
    OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Cool beans.

I've made a 5/3/1 spreadsheet that might be of use to you, standard enter-your-1RM -and-it-works-a-4-week-cycle-out-for-you shizzle. Will email it if you want.
    Yes please mate. My uni email is on facebook. Is it one of those funky ones that works it out to the nearest 2.5 kilos?

(Original post by SMed)
    OK.
    You seem like someone who wants to love Gareth Bale but fears ridicule from his fellow Texans. It's OK, you're safe here. You can hide behind my delts if you like.

ReputationRep:
    Who, this guy?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.