This discussion is closed.
phreek
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Its probably been asked before or possibly a stupid question to all you university students (im still in year 11 ) but what are the theories as to what there was before the big bang?
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I could be completely wrong here, and I'm a lowly yr 12, but as far as I'm aware there isn't much of a theory.

There are ideas such as the universe is continually created and destroyed, but this doesn't go any way to answering what came before the first one, if indeed anything did. As time is a concept of this universe, it is perhaps nonsensical to ask what happened before it.

There are also ideas about a multiverse, and in M-theory something to do with 2 membranes rubbing against each other to cause a big bang and create a new universe. If all these ideas about parallel universes etc are true, we will probably never know, or at east we will never observe it directly, as the occupy a completely separate space and are unreachable.
phreek
Rep:
?
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
I could be completely wrong here, and I'm a lowly yr 12, but as far as I'm aware there isn't much of a theory.

There are ideas such as the universe is continually created and destroyed, but this doesn't go any way to answering what came before the first one, if indeed anything did. As time is a concept of this universe, it is perhaps nonsensical to ask what happened before it.

There are also ideas about a multiverse, and in M-theory something to do with 2 membranes rubbing against each other to cause a big bang and create a new universe. If all these ideas about parallel universes etc are true, we will probably never know, or at east we will never observe it directly, as the occupy a completely separate space and are unreachable.
So basicly noone has a clue?
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by phreek)
So basicly noone has a clue?

well how could they?
phreek
Rep:
?
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
well how could they?
Very true.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
... what are the theories as to what there was before the big bang?
a lot of TNT
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
Its probably been asked before or possibly a stupid question to all you university students (im still in year 11 ) but what are the theories as to what there was before the big bang?
what if each star is actually one atom. What if each galaxy was a set of chemicals. That would mean it is feaible that what we percieve as the universe, is infact the abdomen of a creature. Infact we could just be the tiniest of tiniest discrepancies on the back of an electron (earth), moving around an atom (sun).
J
Sire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
phreek: So basicly noone has a clue?

I do. Not a detailed knowledge, but a clue all the same. You see, scientists have discovered that space itself is still expanding. This results from the original big bang, and the fact that there are no forces stopping this expansion. Also the only possible reason for this expansion is indeed a big bang. The big bang theory itself is in fact out of date, long accepted as the only possible reason for the way things have come to be. What has them all going these days is just how far space can expand before it 'in theory' collapses upon itself. And with this collapse be the cause of another big bang? Is this the big bang theory itself? A perpetual chain of events that unfolds over a few billion years... It is all science, or at least what we humans have come to call science. Earth was not formed by a bloke with a shining white beard. Earth will, if humans don't stuff it first, be destroyed/vapourised by our suns certain supanova (sp). It will swell to a size that takes in Mercury, Venus, Earth and I think also Mars. From here, another planet or two could be formed that is capable of sustaining life as earth has done for all these years. There is a 'clue' for you.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
what if each star is actually one atom. What if each galaxy was a set of chemicals. That would mean it is feaible that what we percieve as the universe, is infact the abdomen of a creature. Infact we could just be the tiniest of tiniest discrepancies on the back of an electron (earth), moving around an atom (sun).
J
I like that one. And nobody can safely say any different without proof. lol, well done
Troyisfat
Report 16 years ago
Your fat
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's the "big bounce" theory, that if the universe begins to shrink again towards its centre of mass, we will eventually have a "big crunch" fro which some say that another big bang will occur, which gives rise to a cyclic universe! You can call it oscillatory universe if you want, but big bounce is just better.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The xmas lectures were on space and stuff and the fisrt lecture was on the big bang, was very intersting... couldn't retell it to you tho lol, was on too early in the morning.

I do get confused as to how we could possible know how the universe began but the lecturer was on about measuring cosmic "ripples" in space.. or summat like that lol
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
40%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
20%
No- I want it (2)
40%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads