The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

phreek
Are any of you intellectuals here religious? I recently gave up being a christian because noone could offer me proof as to its correctness.

Religion is poison.
phreek
Are any of you intellectuals here religious? I recently gave up being a christian because noone could offer me proof as to its correctness.

Christians would tell you that you're a big fat Doubting Thomas :tongue:

Religion is about faith, not proof. So if it's proof you're after you were perfectly right to give up your faith.

Some people here are religious, some are definitely not.
Reply 3
The opium of the people, one might say.
Reply 4
I'm suposed to be a Catholic but eh... I just don't know lately. Religion is just too confusing, and I disagree with too many of the Catholic beliefs.
Reply 5
phreek

I believe in "the one" who basically encompasses every religious idol that exists. Gotta hedge your bets when you die, don't wanna go to the afterlife and go, "Damn I wasted my life on the wrong religion, great now I've got to burn for all eternity, if only I'd believed in the Raelians."
Reply 6
hitchhiker_13
Christians would tell you that you're a big fat Doubting Thomas :tongue:

Religion is about faith, not proof. So if it's proof you're after you were perfectly right to give up your faith.

Some people here are religious, some are definitely not.

I find the idea of faith silly, how does one decide which religion to invest one's faith in? Theres no reason to swing towards anyone in particular.
Reply 7
phreek
I find the idea of faith silly, how does one decide which religion to invest one's faith in? Theres no reason to swing towards anyone in particular.

I think that's my main problem. How the hell are you suposed to decided which one's right? Even in Christianity, the beliefs between people are too different to ever know that you believe in the right thing.
Reply 8
I was sitting in church today, well i supose its yesterday now, but the way everyone worshipped and agreed with what ever they were told reminded me of mindless zombies.
Reply 9
Frances
I think that's my main problem. How the hell are you suposed to decided which one's right? Even in Christianity, the beliefs between people are too different to ever know that you believe in the right thing.

I suppose you just go for which one lets you get away with more.
phreek

I went to the top Catholic school in the country and had it rammed down my neck since the age of 3. Although I now dont believe in god, I do believe that many of the morals within the catholic church still apply today and try to obide by them.
Reply 11
Joey_Johns
I went to the top Catholic school in the country and had it rammed down my neck since the age of 3. Although I now dont believe in god, I do believe that many of the morals within the catholic church still apply today and try to obide by them.

I agree, although some religions may not be true, their guides for life are often relevent even to the most athiest of people.
Frances, answer me in the pinchy bum thread please? It's a serious post...
Reply 13
hi there ..
once i had the same problem exactly !!!

my mother is greek christian orthodux and my father is muslim ..
they never forced me to belive in any ..
when i was about 12 i started reading books about religions-all-watching vedios going to churches going to mosques ..

i found no true answers in christianity .. every thing is confusing ..
trinity !! what is this ??
god is one but yet he is three .. then he is son of god ..
but never it was mintioned in the bible -not even once- that jesus was god or son of god and answer this :
how many times TRINITY is mentioned in the bible ?????

ill tell u : NONE !!!!!!
Reply 14
LET ME TELL YOU THE STORY NOW :

muslims belive :
GOD created ADAM, from no father and no mother, EVA then was created from ADAM, so it could be like from father only. they disobyed god and ate from that tree so they were sent to earth to live there and interbreed. ADAM was like a prophet he teached his children and all human beings Eva gave birth to, to worship one and only one god ..

then many prohets had the same job exactly, all about teaching people that god is one belive in him, dont belive in any one else ..

MOSES said the same god is one worship him am only a prohpet.

JESUS said worship god, god is one then they tried to kill him, so god made a look-alike one who they killed thinking its him, NO jesus was raised and he is coming back just before the day of judgment (this is another story)

people then separated into three :
ones says- GOD WAS WTH US !
others say-SON OF GOD WAS WITH US !
and the others-PROPHET OF GOD WAS WITH US! --> which the muslims descend from

MOHAMED then was sent as the last prophet to all human kind not to say something new just to say what all past prophets had said before him : GOD IS ONE !

thats what i belive in - thats why am muslim !!
I renounced Christianity to become a witch. Best decision I ever made.

www.wicca.com or www.witchvox.com outlines some basic beliefs (i.e. not related to satanism, blah blah blah)
Evil Muffin
I renounced Christianity to become a witch. Best decision I ever made.

www.wicca.com or www.witchvox.com outlines some basic beliefs (i.e. not related to satanism, blah blah blah)

lol
Reply 17
religion to me, is for the feeble minded. Christianity was used as a tool in the past to suppress the masses and give them hope that the compensation for their crappy lives would be giving the church lots and going to heaven when you pop your clogs.

Christianity seems like a really big waste of time to me. I dunno but others seem to be more productive and rewarding, thats just imho tho
Reply 18
onearmedscissor
lol

I have friends who are "witches" and fair play to u if its right for you.

however Evil Muffin, don't you find that a lot of people who take up this religion are a bit weird, and do it to try and be different from everyone else. One of my friends was just on one big trip to freak her parents out.
rednirt
I have friends who are "witches" and fair play to u if its right for you.

however Evil Muffin, don't you find that a lot of people who take up this religion are a bit weird, and do it to try and be different from everyone else. One of my friends was just on one big trip to freak her parents out.

Nah I wasn't taking a stab at Evil Muffin. I just thought her comment was quite comedic.

"I've renounced Christianity to become a witch!"

etc :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending