Anyone got any tricky graph sketching questions?

Watch
amoled
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
As the title says does anyone have any difficult graph sketching problems or links?
I can't find many on internet. OK i havent covered hyperbolics but step standard or interview question style would be great.
Thanks for your help
nuodai
Badges: 17
Report 10 years ago
y^3=x^3+1
amoled
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by nuodai)
y^3=x^3+1
oh k thanks ive drawn it
Is is similar to a y=x^3 graph but translated up 1 so it goes through (0,1) and then goes off to positive and negative infinity and has a point of inflection at the y intercept?
Thanks again

oh and gradient is infinite at 1,0.
Farhan.Hanif93
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amoled)
oh k thanks ive drawn it
Is is similar to a y=x^3 graph but translated up 1 so it goes through (0,1) and then goes off to positive and negative infinity and has a point of inflection at the y intercept?
Thanks again

oh and gradient is infinite at 1,0.
Nope. It has all those features although it doesn't look a whole lot like y=x^3 at all and the gradient is not infinite at (1,0). It has an oblique asymptote.
abscef123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How do you know it has an oblique asymptote? it's not a rational function so where did the oblique asymptote come from?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abscef123)
How do you know it has an oblique asymptote? it's not a rational function so where did the oblique asymptote come from?
y = \sqrt[3]{x^3 - 1} which for very large x behaves close to y = \sqrt[3]{x^3} = x ... which is the oblique asymptote.

If you have a question it's much better if you make a new thread rather than commenting on an old one!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (20)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.86%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed