The Student Room Group

Are students allowed to use fountain pens in A level exams??

Hi, I'm currently in my first year at Sixth form, and I was wondering, are we allowed to use these type of pens?:

But in the ink colour black, of course.
Do the scanners allow these pens? Can you get penalised for using them?

It is a pilot v (fountain) pen.

Scroll to see replies

If it is black, it should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by nnnmmmnnn
Hi, I'm currently in my first year at Sixth form, and I was wondering, are we allowed to use these type of pens?:

I used that pen in my GCSE English literature exam and I got an A*.
Reply 3
I used a fountain pen in my A Levels. Gave up after a while though because it's so much slower to write with than a ballpoint.
Reply 4
I believe so; i'd stick to black bic though, they're not very likely to smudge.
Reply 5
Original post by ArtGoblin
I used a fountain pen in my A Levels. Gave up after a while though because it's so much slower to write with than a ballpoint.

But aren't fountain pens supposed to be quicker?
As long as the ink is black, they don't care.

I use a caligraphy pen for writing and maths and I've never had any problems.
Reply 7
if it's black it's fine.
Reply 8

Dunno. All I know is that ballpoints are quicker for me and they hurt less after a prolonged period of writing.
Reply 9

dunno if they're supposed to, but they're definitely slower
Reply 10
Original post by Cinqueta
I used that pen in my GCSE English literature exam and I got an A*.

haha sorry but I laughed at this :tongue:
You genuinely believe it was because of the pen or you just thought you'd mention it?
Reply 11
Original post by Pop_tart
haha sorry but I laughed at this :tongue:
You genuinely believe it was because of the pen or you just thought you'd mention it?

The OP was asking if you get penalised for writing with that pen. I wrote with the same pen and didn't get penalised because I got the top mark, so I was showing as long as the pen is black it doesn't matter :p:
I used fountain pens for my A-Levels. The only rules were that we had to use dark blue or black ink. I did CIE A-Levels though, not very sure about UK A-Levels.
Reply 13
Original post by Cinqueta
The OP was asking if you get penalised for writing with that pen. I wrote with the same pen and didn't get penalised because I got the top mark, so I was showing as long as the pen is black it doesn't matter :p:

okies :tongue: anyway good on you for your A*!! :biggrin: wooo
The only direction is that you must use black ink.

The pen in the OP is a rollerball which should be fine. A fountain pen is one with a scratchy nib (not sure about whether these are allowed or not; as long as it's black I dont' see why it wouldn't be). They both use real ink, however.

Fountain pen:
Reply 16
That isn't a fountain pen by the looks of it.

I used a black parker pen last year and didn't get reprimanded for it. Personally I find my writing flows better, neater and quicker than, say, with a biro.
I'd much rather use a biro, i find any ink pens quite scratchy, plus biros are faster, not the other way round.
Reply 18
Original post by KissMyArtichoke
I'd much rather use a biro, i find any ink pens quite scratchy, plus biros are faster, not the other way round.

Not in my experience. Biros are scratchy too! Strange.

OP, fineliners are good too.
wtf, has so much really changed in the last 5 years?! I used a fountain pen with blue ink in all my exams

Quick Reply

Latest