The Student Room Group

Oxford Biomedical Sciences Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by warrior_22
Yeah, one week is not enough for the S2 from Kaplan. I'm finding S1 very complicated. I think S2 is okay but I've heard that the Physics bits are hard. What are the average raw marks we need to get in S1 and S2?

I think the section 3 marking has changed, but basically it is out of 9,9,15.

Imperial a couple of years back wanted 50% in all sections. so 4.5,4.5,7.5

Oxford say they put more emphasis on S1 and S2, (40%,40%,20%), but it is impossible to say what raw marks are required as this is a new course. I think a score of 6,6,8 would be a very good score, totalling up to 20 overall (a good score for a medicine hopeful!) But a decent score in S1 and S2 would make up for a poor S3, so even 6,6,6 or like 6.5,6.5,5 would be worthy of an interview.

These are just my opinions, so anyone else is welcome to comment :biggrin:

(I'll just do my best in all sections and see what score I get lol)
Reply 81
Original post by Alex-92

Section 3 is the worst IMO

Essay writing = :facepalm2:

LOL i love the essay writing part! (on a relative scale of course, I doubt we can find someone who genuinely enjoys BMAT). Haha I finished IB maths a year earlier and I think all my "mathematical knowledge" has blissfully vacated my brain.

*sigh*
Reply 82
Original post by Alex-92

(I'll just do my best in all sections and see what score I get lol)

This :yep:

This test is marked against everybody else, so the grade boundaries are impossible to predict. If 50% get less than 8/35 for instance, then 8 marks will be around 4.5-5.0. If 50% of people get more than 20, then 20/35 will be 5.0-5.5 for instance (I don't know exactly the percentages for each score :colondollar:)
Reply 83
There doesn't seem to be ALOT of people applying accoirding to this thread! Yay! :tongue:
But I think I won't do great on my BMAT and my GCSE aren't that great so I don't think I'll get an interveiw :frown:
Reply 84
Original post by Munster
There doesn't seem to be ALOT of people applying accoirding to this thread! Yay! :tongue:
But I think I won't do great on my BMAT and my GCSE aren't that great so I don't think I'll get an interveiw :frown:

I haven't got my hopes up for the BMAT, I'll just see how it goes, and my GCSE's are almost identical to yours so.. you never know! Fingers crossed for very few applicants to the course, (we may be on this course togethor in less than a years time :s-smilie:)

N.B. my Name's Alex Munster, by some weird coincidence we are both here...
Reply 85
Original post by Kidms001

This test is marked against everybody else, so the grade boundaries are impossible to predict. If 50% get less than 8/35 for instance, then 8 marks will be around 4.5-5.0. If 50% of people get more than 20, then 20/35 will be 5.0-5.5 for instance (I don't know exactly the percentages for each score :colondollar:)

Interesting! Let's hope for some crap candidates then lol! And congrats on your york offer, after your interview the other day. :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by CZephyr
LOL i love the essay writing part! (on a relative scale of course, I doubt we can find someone who genuinely enjoys BMAT). Haha I finished IB maths a year earlier and I think all my "mathematical knowledge" has blissfully vacated my brain.

*sigh*

You are joking right? I'm practically illiterate :s-smilie:

The maths required for the BMAT is hardly top-end further maths. It's just handling data to make inferences, and solving some things, (and if you want to include it, all the physics-sy stuff)
Reply 87
Original post by Alex-92
I haven't got my hopes up for the BMAT, I'll just see how it goes, and my GCSE's are almost identical to yours so.. you never know! Fingers crossed for very few applicants to the course, (we may be on this course togethor in less than a years time :s-smilie:)

N.B. my Name's Alex Munster, by some weird coincidence we are both here...

Lool That's weird....
I based my user name on lady gaga's song monster! I was listening to it at the time :tongue:
Reply 88
Original post by Alex-92
You are joking right? I'm practically illiterate :s-smilie:

The maths required for the BMAT is hardly top-end further maths. It's just handling data to make inferences, and solving some things, (and if you want to include it, all the physics-sy stuff)

Oh PHYSICS. haha don't get me started on PHYSICS. I stopped doing physics at GCSE level 2 years ago and have never touched it ever since! I am currently trying to cram cram cram cram nuclear physics/electricity and magnitism. It's 1:48 AM where I live and I am on the verge of a mental brea-
lol ok way too dramatic. :wink:

I am actually really surprised! Not many people are applying to Oxford Biomed (or maybe just not that many TSR-ers :tongue:)
Reply 89
Guys, what's the most likely scores you get when you do BMAT past papers?
Reply 90
Original post by CZephyr
I am actually really surprised! Not many people are applying to Oxford Biomed (or maybe just not that many TSR-ers :tongue:)

Well there is 7 of us on here applying. Oxford said they were going to interview 120 candidates (assuming they got that many :eek:). Even if, say, we represent only 10% of applying candidates, that would mean only 70 people applying! But it is impossible to predict, i'm sure Oxford has raked in enough people.
Reply 91
Guys, what's the most likely scores you get when you do BMAT past papers?

Haven't done a past paper yet, still revising all sections individually. Will have an answer for you on monday-ish :tongue:
Hey everyone. Just want to offer my own piece of advice.

I am currently doing AS Critical Thinking, and the content in Unit 1 and 2 is very similar to Section 1 of the BMAT, drawing different components out of arguments etc, so getting a textbook or just practising some past papers for critical thinking might help :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by Aspirational Medic
Hey everyone. Just want to offer my own piece of advice.

I am currently doing AS Critical Thinking, and the content in Unit 1 and 2 is very similar to Section 1 of the BMAT, drawing different components out of arguments etc, so getting a textbook or just practising some past papers for critical thinking might help :smile:

Good luck :smile:

Thank you, but the thing is section 1 isn't the problem, it's physics in S2 and all of S3 (for me!) :tongue:
Reply 94
Original post by Alex-92
Thank you, but the thing is section 1 isn't the problem, it's physics in S2 and all of S3 (for me!) :tongue:

I hate section 3! I havn't started revising it properly yet but I read some of the questions and I'm like o_0

They don't make sense!
Reply 95
I'm scoring like average for S1 and S2.,
how about you guys?
Original post by Kidms001

About your UCAS, are you sure about your conditional offer from Warwick? I received an email from them saying my conditional offer was ABB, not sure why yours would be different to mine......
Reply 97
Original post by Munster
I hate section 3! I havn't started revising it properly yet but I read some of the questions and I'm like o_0

They don't make sense!

This. I haven't written an essay answer for a specific "discuss" question in like over 2 years :s-smilie: Oh well, I've finished S1, and just finishing off S2 today, (damn you physics..), so I will have the whole weekend for essays :facepalm2:.

On a side note, look what I found in the BMAT thread guys and galz...

I think these are most of the physics formulae you need to know:

- Force = mass x acceleration

- Acceleration = force/mass

OR Change in speed/time taken

-Pressure = force/area

- Work done = force x distance

- Potential energy = mass x g x height

- Weight = mass x g

- Kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x speed^2

- Power = work done/time taken

- Resistance = voltage/current

- Not sure whether we need the momentum formula?

Momentum (kg m/s) = mass x velocity

- Power = voltage x current

To calculate output voltage from a transformer if you know the input voltage and the number of turns on each coil:

Primary voltage Number of turns on Primary
-------------- = ---------------------------
Secondary voltage Number of turns on Secondary

I'm not taking credit, but this looks useful for those of us not so gifted in the physical sciences. Enjoy!
Reply 98
Original post by Alex-92
This. I haven't written an essay answer for a specific "discuss" question in like over 2 years :s-smilie: Oh well, I've finished S1, and just finishing off S2 today, (damn you physics..), so I will have the whole weekend for essays :facepalm2:.

On a side note, look what I found in the BMAT thread guys and galz...

I think these are most of the physics formulae you need to know:

- Force = mass x acceleration

- Acceleration = force/mass

OR Change in speed/time taken

-Pressure = force/area

- Work done = force x distance

- Potential energy = mass x g x height

- Weight = mass x g

- Kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x speed^2

- Power = work done/time taken

- Resistance = voltage/current

- Not sure whether we need the momentum formula?

Momentum (kg m/s) = mass x velocity

- Power = voltage x current

To calculate output voltage from a transformer if you know the input voltage and the number of turns on each coil:

Primary voltage Number of turns on Primary
-------------- = ---------------------------
Secondary voltage Number of turns on Secondary

I'm not taking credit, but this looks useful for those of us not so gifted in the physical sciences. Enjoy!

thanks
I'm scoring like average for S1 and S2.,
how about you guys?

Its not about what you score in past papers. Telling yourself you scored well means you will approach the exam thinking that it will be a walk in the park. It really wont. Past papers are about exam technique, once you have grasped it, then you can release a bit of pressure. But guaranteed this will be the hardest exam I have ever taken, and a lot of smart people are taking this test, so the fact that my score is marked against everyone else means I will score badly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending